2012 Hyundai Elantra Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Elantra model:
Ive had my 2012 Elantra for 2 weeks
By davidh11 on 04/08/14 12:02 PM (PDT)

2012 Hyundai Elantra Sedan GLS 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 6A)

Barely a month since I bought my '12 Elantra w/30K mi and so far so good. I hear all the complaints about gas mileage but so far I have no problem averaging combined 33 mpg. which is great for me considering my Pathfinder only got 16/21 mpg. I put on custom rims and a better quality tire which seems to have helped a bit w/ road noise. So far only complaint I really have is the ride is a bit stiff and there's no spare tire. I bought my Elantra for $14k out the door so for the design and features you cant really beat it for the price....Remeber, you cant expect a $14k car to drive like a Mercedes. You get what you pay for, folks. I'll follow up in a few months..

So far, so good.
By topperman on 02/17/14 14:34 PM (PST)

2012 Hyundai Elantra Sedan GLS 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 6A)

I bought this Elantra over 2 years ago and have about 47k miles on it now. I have not experienced any of the mechanical or noise problems described in other reviews. The original tires were bad (noisy) and I replaced them after 40K. As far as gas mileage, I have found that there is a huge discrepancy in mileage depending on many factors: speed, outside temperature, wind, vehicle load. and terrain. I have found that headwinds or sidewinds will affect mpg up to 5 or 6. I probably average 35 mpg hwy and 28-30 city. Under optimum conditions I have consistently achieved 36-38 hwy. Would I buy another Hyundai? Maybe. Next time I'll go into something a little bigger. I am over 6'.

Vibration while idle--poor customer service
By imaupin on 11/16/13 05:37 AM (PST)

2012 Hyundai Elantra Sedan GLS PZEV 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 6A)

I bought my 2012 Hyuandi Elantra almost 2 years ago and I feel like I should have kept my previous vehicle. My car has been giving off a vibration while idle for over 6 months and every single time I come and complain the service people do not find anything wrong with my vehicle. I met with the service manager and he test drove my car and stated that the vibration is normal. I am not sure how vibration is normal, my car literally shakes. I am almost at 30000 miles and then after that my warranty will be up! I am done with Hyuandi and if I could drive my car through the dealership to show my frustration I would. I do not recommend this car That is why they provide all these warranties!

Nice Car But!
By tedtlaw on 11/10/13 12:04 PM (PST)

2012 Hyundai Elantra Sedan Limited 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 6A)

Suspension engineering and steering awful. Owned this car for 2 years and had to replace both rear shocks in addition the dealer could never get the steering working properly. I believe it to be an engineering flaw. The front suspension started thumping and in general this car got to be one of the worst cars we have owned.

Love it
By cf4e on 08/30/13 06:01 AM (PDT)

2012 Hyundai Elantra Sedan GLS 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 6M)

I have owned my 2012 Elantra for about a year and a half. I have just short of 18,000 miles on it. I bought this car mainly for it's looks and gas mileage. It doesn't disappoint in either category. I have averaged 32.5 mpg between city and hwy driving, but i'm also an enthusiastic driver. I have found the econo mode makes about a 2 mpg difference when it's turned off. I have achieved 40 mpg on the highway with econo mode on.The car is a bit for fun to drive with it turned off. Only 1 minor problem. On long trips of 1000 miles or more, I will stop at a rest stop in the middle of the trip and when I get back in the cruise will stop working for 20-30 miles - then start working again.

Motor Blew
By shelly47 on 08/15/13 05:51 AM (PDT)

2012 Hyundai Elantra Sedan GLS 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 6A)

I bought my 2012 Elantra September 2012, it only had 25,000km. I purchased it in Orangeville, Ontario, The customer service was great when I was on their lot. After purchasing my Elantra, the customer service plummeted, I was no longer worth the time of day to them. 3 months after buying the car it started ticking, Iam thinking no way I bought this car thinking I would have no problems so early. After 4 months of back and forth to hyundai dealerships, they told me my motor was going. I was appaulled, this is a brand new car, they treated me like crap, I wanted to give the car back, compensation $100 gas card & 1yr free roadside assistance. DONT BUY FROM HYUNDAI

Gas Mileage
By rodgarrett on 08/12/13 14:30 PM (PDT)

2012 Hyundai Elantra Sedan Limited 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 6A)

Bought my Elantra in May 2012. I know they overestimated the mileage but I am getting about 18mpg in the city and less than 30mpg on the highway. Nowhere near what I expected. I do not drive fast or overly aggressive. I would not buy another Elantra or Hyundai for that matter. Considering reporting to the Consumer Protection Agency and the EPA.

Bad Mileage. Check out the lawsuits.
By lonyjeff on 08/06/13 02:13 AM (PDT)

2012 Hyundai Elantra Sedan Limited 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 6A)

I bought the 2012 Elantra. The most mileage I got was 24MPG on highway 18MPG on the street I do not drive fast. Steering wheel peels. Awful car. I fill up every 3-4days on 66 miles per day do not buy this car read the real reviews first. Hyundai lawsuit gave $89.00 for gas compensation for 25000 miles. that not even three weeks worth of gas.

Wouldn't Recommend this Car
By dwrbebop on 07/12/13 06:58 AM (PDT)

2012 Hyundai Elantra Sedan GLS 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 6A)

I am sitting in the dealership service department waiting for them to Fix a coolant leak, the A/C, and try to figure out why it blows an astronomical amount of smoke when I accelerate to pass another vehicle. This is a $21,000 brand new automobile and there is no reason for me to have this kind of trouble this soon after purchasing. As many of the other post stated as soon as Hyundai get your money they don't want anything else to do with you. Actually called Hyundai Motor Company to get explanation as to why I was having this trouble this early in my purchase. I was told that they have no explanation and was very rude. I will not be buying another Hyundai any time soon.

Looks Aren't Everything
By creeves1 on 07/06/13 06:39 AM (PDT)

2012 Hyundai Elantra Sedan GLS 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 6A)

I would like to preference this by saying I Never write reviews on anything, so this is a Huge deal to me. Let's see where can I start....Okay so I just purchased a 2012 Hyundai Elantra which I had so desperately wanted since the new body changed in 2011. Let me just be honest here I don't have any Major complaints, but my only issue is the noise level when I am driving. At first it start off on rough roads with potholes, now it seems like the noise and sound when I drive is just becoming louder and louder and it is driving me crazy. It's not a sound coming from the car itself just the noise I can hear when I am driving on rough and smooth roads.

The Edmunds TCO® estimated monthly insurance payment for a 2012 Hyundai Elantra Sedan in VA is:

$140 per month*