Used 2012 Hyundai Elantra Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2012 Hyundai Elantra - Consumer Reviews

2012 Hyundai Elantra Sedan

View reviews for a specific Elantra model:

Worst Car EVER!
By amanda877

2012 Hyundai Elantra Sedan GLS 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 6A)

I hate this car....nothing but problems. I've had the short block in the engine replaced, battery multiple times, starter replaced...the list keeps on going. Unreliable. Wish I would've known about the issues before...I would've gone with something more reliable.

Suggested Improvements

Make a better quality car. One that lasts longer than 3 years.

Almost to 100K and problems have started
By ldfranklin

2012 Hyundai Elantra Sedan GLS 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 6M)

I love my car. I have had it for 3 years and never had any issues. Gas milage is awesome and I get money reimbursed to me every time I take it in for an oil change - win win for me. BUT around 87,000 the car started to stall on me when I stopped. Check engine light came on so I took it to my mechanic. He said when hooked up to a computer it says "needs new engine". So I get it towed to Hyundai. They replace an oil senor valve (covered under extended warranty) and it ran fine for about 1500 miles. Then it started to stall again. I took it back immediately and now it is giving 2 codes and one of them is replace the engine. Now I am getting "I am not sure if Hyundai will cover this"!

Favorite Features

Love having a stick shift!

Suggested Improvements

Needs a spare tire!!!!! What the flip? Every car should have a spare tire. I went and got a cheap spare to throw in the back.

Engine Gone 48,000km
By Stephen Power

2012 Hyundai Elantra Sedan GLS 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 6A)

My Elantra has 48,000 km on it, is not driven hard, driven by me and my wife who are both 50+ years old, and the bottom half of the engine needs to be replaced. My friend has an Elantra that is a year newer than mine and her engine has to be replaced. I know of a couple of other people who drive Elantra's and they have ticking in their motor the same as I have. Buyer beware.

Favorite Features

Heated seats, although the driver's seat doesn't work as the element needs to be replaced.

Suggested Improvements

Fix engine and gas mileage problems.

Great car for the money
By waxahachiejoe

2012 Hyundai Elantra Sedan GLS 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 6A)

I am a leasing agent for a leasing company and get to drive every kind of car out there. I recently leased a used Elantra a client of mine traded in. This is no Mercedes, but it's the nicest car I've driven for the money. The styling is great, has lots of power for a small 4cyl car, and gets great gas mileage. I regularly average 33 overall. I have to seriously abuse this car to get under 30 mpg. The handling is so-so and it tends to dart from one side of the road to the other if I'm trying to eat and drive with my knees.

Favorite Features

Peppy engine, gas mileage, and styling

Suggested Improvements

Handling could be better.

Ive had my 2012 Elantra for 2 weeks
By davidh11

2012 Hyundai Elantra Sedan GLS 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 6A)

Barely a month since I bought my '12 Elantra w/30K mi and so far so good. I hear all the complaints about gas mileage but so far I have no problem averaging combined 33 mpg. which is great for me considering my Pathfinder only got 16/21 mpg. I put on custom rims and a better quality tire which seems to have helped a bit w/ road noise. So far only complaint I really have is the ride is a bit stiff and there's no spare tire. I bought my Elantra for $14k out the door so for the design and features you cant really beat it for the price....Remeber, you cant expect a $14k car to drive like a Mercedes. You get what you pay for, folks. I'll follow up in a few months..

Favorite Features

Styling, features, engine has good power (with eco turned off) for a 4 cyl.

Suggested Improvements

Ride could be softer. How about a spare tire next time around?