Some bads aspect reviewed
By edmunds_logon on
2011 Hyundai Elantra GLS 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 6M)
I buyed my elantra 2011 3 weeks ago after carfully reading reviews and comparing different models. I'm 35 y-old rep, i drove around 40 000 miles/ year and just replace my yaris manual 2006 with 160 000 miles on it. Before this, i had a Subaru WRX turbo also. I gotta say i do have my rally offroad license as i'm a racing enthusiasm, i race motocross and i am also aware of suspension settings and reactions. MPG was very important and thats also the major point wich is deceiving. While i was doing 360 miles per 13 gal, i now go for 280 with the Elantra in mixed City/highway conditions and a sporty driving style, at 75 mph on highway, wich i did not change from the Yaris.
Favorite Features
Driving aids is my favorite features. I cant believe how the car handles well on ice and snow here around home in the country side, i feel safer than in the subaru wich was controlling the stability of the traction, and way more of the Yaris of course wich was light and harder to keep straight in icy and snowy conditions, even with new, top branded tires.
Suggested Improvements
Rear suspension is terrible in the whoops in the country side, it remembers me a Plymouth Sundance 1991, no joke! Otherwise it handles allright, but rear suspension is not independant and you can feel it if you look for performance. But at this price, i guess they had to make choices, and i would recommand this car anyway. Just curious to see about reliability now!
By arumage
on 04/18/11 12:24 PM (PDT)

Torsion bar suspensions are semi-independent. The two wheels are connected by the bar itself, but the bar flexes providing independent travel. It's a popular and reliable suspension for inexpensive cars.