My First Hyundai
By andy_yen on
2011 Hyundai Elantra GLS 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 6M)
I bought this car solely for the gas mileage. I did not buy a hybrid because I already have a hybrid. I do not want to have 2 hybrids. After driving 1,000 miles, I only get an average of 24 - 26 mpg. It was calculated by the miles driven and the number of gallons I put in. I drive half city and half highway. I do not understand why some reviewers got up to 46 mpg. Although the display panel shows 28 or 29 mpg, I believe my calculation is more realistic. Besides gas mileage, the car is fully equipped. I have a GLS automatic with preferred package. I paid invoice price. It is a good deal when compared to other dealerships. Most are selling it at or above MSRP.
Favorite Features
Fully equipped if you are willing to pay. It is still cheaper than other manufacturers.
Suggested Improvements
gas mileage is not as good as advertised. It should be improved.
By johnny9k
on 05/27/11 08:25 AM (PDT)

I found that the gas mileage is greatly affected by how you drive. I live in a hilly area. With the AC off, on a flat stretch of highway I can get 45 mpg. As soon as I hit the hills it drops considerably. Right now my hilly commute gets 35 mpg AC off, 32 mpg AC on. I recommend recording your mileage and experimenting with different speeds. I definitely get better performance at 65 mpg vs 75. Try and keep that ECO light on and you will see an improvement.

By adamd13
on 12/20/11 13:42 PM (PST)

No offense but it's a common sense negotion tactic for a buyer never to pay sticker price for a car. i doubt any elantra's are selling for over sticker prices, it's a good selling car but c'mon it's not like when the hummers came out.