My Experience with 2011 Elantra GLS Manual
By allen51 on
2011 Hyundai Elantra GLS 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 6M)
After about a month of on-line research, I test drove the 2011 Elantra GLS, Fiesta, Civic, and Kia Forte. All were fine cars, but in terms of value and the entire package, I was left wondering why anyone would buy a Civic. I now have purchased and driven the Elantra for over 5000 miles. It handles well, have not noticed the road noise some folks mention, and my gas mileage has exceeded expectations (I do a great deal of highway travel, and average between 43 and 46 MPG). The interior feels about the same size as my old BMW 325I.
Favorite Features
I have had more than one person ask me about the car, which I was not expecting when I purchased an economy car. It looks good, but more importantly, Hyundai provides the best bumper to bumper warranty I have located (60K). Further, my dealership provides a lifetime warranty on the engine and drive train. I like a manufacturer that stands behind its product. I am aware of Civic's legendary quality, but wondered by Honda does not provide a similar warranty. Could it be because Civics' reputation for reliability is simply that ... legendary?
Suggested Improvements
I purchased a manual transmission and would have liked to have Bluetooth as a factory option. Similarly I would have liked to have fog lights as a option. The hubcaps are a little cheesy, but the entire package was under $18K with tax, freight, other miscellaneous charges .. but with a GLS manual, with air, cruise, tilt, 16 inch wheels, etc. ... how can I really complain?
By svensmor
on 07/10/11 18:01 PM (PDT)

benson it wont and he didnt say it would

By adamd13
on 12/20/11 13:46 PM (PST)

Read everybody elses reviews about mpg's....90% say the car gets around 30 combined...This guy is smoking crack if he thinks his elantra gets BETTER than what hyundai is saying (40hwy)

By benson10
on 05/27/11 09:56 AM (PDT)

Sorry, I just don't believe that the Elantra will give 43 to 46 mpg in sustained 70mph travel.