2011 Hyundai Elantra Consumer Review: Good looking and decent car -

2011 Hyundai Elantra - Consumer Review

GLS Sedan (1.8L 4-cyl. 6-speed Manual)

Good looking and decent car - not so good EPA gas mileage
By lucd on

2011 Hyundai Elantra GLS 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 6M)

I traded my Mazda 3 Sport 2.5 liter because it did not give me good gas mileage. After buying this 2011 Elantra for it's advertised 40 mpg, I'm feeling pretty foolish. The car is a good looking car, but very disappointed in gas mileage. I average 34 mpg in the summer with 70% highway and 30% city. I baby the gas pedal. Now I put on snow tires and I'm getting 31 mpg. 40 mpg not so much. If I'd of known how deceptive the MPG was going to be, I'd of kept my Mazda. Hyndai Sonata is a good car with very average MPG.

Auto locks after you put it in gear.

Be honest in you MPG claims. Yes, you'll get close to 40 MPG maybe, using summer tires, on flat roads with no wind, running at a steady 60 mph.
By hyundai12
on 05/14/12 19:27 PM (PDT)

I am going to tell you a little secret. This car get 40 mpg on the highway and more. A little unknown secret is that you DO NOT have your vent settings on defrost because that triggers the air conditioning compressor while you are driving and it kills your fuel economy. This little fact costs me about 10 mpgs if I leave the defrost on. I get better fuel economy with the air conditioner running then when I have the defrost on. I am not saying you dont need your defrost on occasion but remember yo simply select an alternstive vent setting when you dont need it. I hope this helps.