Gas Mileage
By chris274 on
2011 Hyundai Elantra Limited 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 6A)
I love the car, its beautiful, comfortable and very fancy for the price compared to all the others in its class. I tested the Fusion, Civic and even considered some fairly new accords. I eventually went back to the hyundai. We love the car, but the gas mileage is not what was advertised. We get about 28 in the city and 32 on the highway. We went on a trip about 300 miles and never achieved over 32 MPH. this was and still is disappointing. I cant figure it out, some folks say they get over 40. I dont see it. I would love some thoughts by other owners as to why?
Favorite Features
all the features are great
Suggested Improvements
Gas mileage
By bhamcarshopper
on 05/24/11 12:53 PM (PDT)

I just purchased a Hyundai Elantra (2011) GLS less than 2 weeks ago...brand new..one trip netted 38mpg and another 37.5..this was running the car both times around 65-70 mph measuring from getting on the interstate to where i got off at my destination. This trip included no stops. I rented the Elantra before i bought one and got an average of 41mpg of a model that had 3,000 miles on it going about 65 mph also. Therefore, i have no doubt this car should be able to achieve 40 on the highway. Mine isn't even broken in yet, so I expect it to top 40mpg eventually. Here are some ideas. 1. Cold weather can reduce mileage. 2. Was the car completely packed on the trip? Was there 4-5 adults in the car..was the trunk completely packed..extra weight will reduce mileage. 3. Check the inflation in the tires. Underinflated tires can significantly reduce mileage. 4. Some gas has more ethanol than others..more ethanol lowers mileage. Try getting your gas elsewhere and see what happens. 5. Measure the mileage yourself instead of trusting the trip computer. It may be off. 6. Were your trips on fairly flat even roads or were they quite hilly? Uneven roads/hills will make a difference. 7. Consider synthetic oil on your next oil change. I have read many reports that consider it better for your long term engine health and I seem to get more than 1-1.5 mpg better with this oil. Hopefully all these suggestions will make a difference for you. 8. If these ideas don't make much of a difference, consider there could be something wrong with the car. Call the dealer you bought the car from and explain your problem and politely ask that they examine the car....(hook it up to their computer, check the tires, etc). If you bought it from a good dealer, explain you have warranty concerns (emissions, mileage, etc) and they should at least evaluate it for you for no charge. Best of luck to you.