2011 Hyundai Elantra Consumer Review: Forget the EPA Rating

2011 Hyundai Elantra - Consumer Review

Forget the EPA Rating
By jjwjr on

2011 Hyundai Elantra GLS 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 6A)

Among the items that entered into my purchase decision were, design, feature content, price and the MPG rating. This vehicle shines in just about every category except what most of us have at the top of our list for a compact, mileage. As a mature driver I fully expected to get at or near the 40 MPG that Hyundai touts. Sadly I've never seen anything close to 40, 34 has been tops. Where on earth did that rating come from? This car has truly been a disappointment in that area.

On the plus side outstanding items start with the best warranty in the industry. Combine that with an extremely workable interior. Controls are easy to reach and use. This is the closest thing to a sports car I've owned in 20 years. The transmission is smooth, steering effort minimal and the ride fairly quiet for a compact.

1) Get better gas mileage. 2) Get better gas mileage. 3) Get better gas mileage.
By zunni
on 01/23/12 12:16 PM (PST)

I own a 2012 Elantra with over 12,000 miles on it. I must confess when I read these gripes about poor mileage I find it very irritating. I CONSISTENTLY get 42 to 44 mpg hwy and 32-36 city - it's a six-speed box - I'm am very pleased with this - I'm also a 'mature' driver and I do use the gear box intelligently and I will use cruse control. This car easily surpasses claims - I offer no comments on other peoples driving - but it is worth thinking about how you drive the car - just a thought :) If you are really getting 34 - I would take the car in and get it VERY seriously looked at - I have actually had 46 mpg from my car - not very consistently and under perfect hwy driving conditions - something is wrong with your vehicle...

By zunni
on 01/23/12 12:26 PM (PST)

I note this is a 2011 review - perhaps the answer to the discrepancy?