2011 Hyundai Elantra Consumer Review: blows smoke

2011 Hyundai Elantra Sedan - Consumer Review

blows smoke
By seprfi on

2011 Hyundai Elantra Limited 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 6A)

i have seen multiple comments online about the elantra blowing smoke. i have had the same problem,almost causing an accident on the freeway at 65 mph. people were swerving behind us. the dealership said we were blowing the carbon out, but we were doing 65 mph for quite a long time before i had to go into passing gear to change lanes to get off the freeway. Who do we escalate our complaint too ?
By totall77
on 03/06/14 13:54 PM (PST)

I had the same problem.. I was passing someone and Boom a huge pile of smoke I thought I blew up the wifes car :( and I freaked out and pulled over. I took it to the dealer and they said there's a recall on the grounding block under the hood.. They brought it in and tightened the fuse block under the hood and I've never had a problem since..

By timmy20
on 04/17/14 22:23 PM (PDT)

I had a problem with my 2011 Hyundai Elantra blowing smoke. It was only about 18 months old. The smoke though was from the raging fire in the engine bay. I had fire brigade come and put out the fire. Investigations indicated a fault most likely with the starter motor. I had reported an issue to Hyundai with the starter motor not long before. But they just did a reset on it and said all was good. It was quite a surprise to wake up in the morning and see the car on fire and trying to start by itself. Unfortunately Hyundai did not want to see the car or assist in any way. Something I still do not understand. Hope this helps anyone with starter issues on their Hyundai.