Best buy yet
By tlouda on
2011 Hyundai Elantra GLS PZEV 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 6A)
Just hit 6,000 with the car. I took it on a road trip from Austin, TX to Flagstaff, AZ. The drive is mostly highway with 75 miles per hour speed limit, mostly flat grounds, not much traffic. I maintained a speed around 75-80 mph. The total trip avg. speed was 62 mph. I averaged 37.7 mpg. At one point in New Mexico I drove 150 miles at 42.5 mpg at 75 mph. I suspect I was driving downhill most of the time with wind in the back, because I was not able to duplicate that. I was able to achieve the best gas mileage after I did the first oil change at 3,750 miles. I made sure I put in a high quality engine oil and put a brand gasoline, medium grade, and the gas mileage around 37 to 38 was achieved.
Favorite Features
The car definitely turns heads. The inside is very nice, everything falls in place. The ride is incredibly smooth, it feels like you are in a hover craft when driving on a highway. Other the excellent gas mileage I love the huge amount of space the car offers to driver and passenger. The trunk size is also admirable for this class.
Suggested Improvements
The tires need improvement, the car feels unsure in cornering and sometimes I am scared it will fly off. I just hit 6,000 miles, will rotate tires and pretty soon will put some better ones on there. Another problem I am scared about happening is the flimsy temperature and A/C controls. They feel little bit too loose. With time they might break. Other than that, this car is perfect.
By litesong2
on 05/11/11 13:23 PM (PDT)

Generally, the Elantra, as with most cars , is designed to operate best on lower octane gasoline. The other levels of gasoline are not really higher grades of fuel.

By andy999
on 05/20/11 22:04 PM (PDT)

Very nice, honest review. As the previous poster has mentioned, your new Elantra is specifically designed to operate best on 87 octane fuel. The number rating indicates the rate of fuel burn, and a lower number indicates a "quicker" burn. The lower octane will actually allow for slightly quicker initial start ups, and better throttle response right off of the top of the pedal. Your Elantra has an all aluminum casing engine (both, engine block and cylinder head) and dissipates heat extremely well. You should never experience any type of difficulty with the lower octane rating fuel!!! I've had some experience with recent Hyundai products, and the A/C - Climate controls have an engineered "light" operating feel, to avoid the somewhat "notchy" or "stiff" feel that some older vehicles have had (in that area). Rest assured, . . . from my experience at least, they should hold up just fine!!! Keep in mind, that your all inclusive "bumper to bumper" warranty (60K mile) will cover any issues related to that type of an item (if it ever presents a problem). When you come to a point of upgrading the tires, I would HIGHLY recommend looking toward the "Kumho ECSTA LX Platinum" tire in your proper size. They are very affordable for a highly rated tire, have excellent traction in ALL weather conditions, and will completely improve and enhance the ride quality of your vehicle without any negative tradeoffs. They are extremely "quiet" and "smooth", and provide a much better handling and tracking feel than the OEM type tire. Kumho has an extensive model line of tires in your size range, just be sure to research the "ECSTA LX Platinum", specifically. They are the absolute BEST tires that I've ever purchased or driven on, and I've driven quite a few different vehicles with a variety of tire choices. Give the tires about two weeks to "scrub-in", so to speak, before experiencing the highest level of performance and ride quality from them. These tires are great in heavy rain, winter weather, dry summer conditions, and have perfect wear patterns (just rotate them as recommended). Many tire shops will rotate them for free (if you've purchased them there), for the life of the tire, . . . just be sure to ask to know for certain. Good Luck with your new Elantra ! ! ! (andy)