Another Bad Car Decision
By whblack on
2011 Hyundai Elantra Limited 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 6A)
We traded in our 2006 CR-V because we really didn't need an SUV and were looking for a reliable car with excellent gas mileage. Getting the Elantra was a mistake. After reading the reviews on the Elantra, we thought we were getting a better car. We looked at the Corolla, Civic, and Hybrids. We decided to go with the Elantra because it was not a hybrid, offered really good gas mileage, and promised reliability. The Elantra's mileage is not as advertised. After 4 months and over 3000 miles, we are averaging about 23-25 mpg (around 31-34 on the hwy). I don't believe the mpg read-out on the car and don't know what the 'ECO' mode means (on most of the time). We're worried about quality now.
Favorite Features
Body styling and warranty.
Suggested Improvements
Truth in advertising about mileage.
By kgrigsby
on 12/14/11 07:51 AM (PST)

I am also sorry that you are having problem with your Elantra. My wife and i looked at everything out there and found that the Elantra had the best of what we are looking for. The dealer told us that it would get the best millage from the start. We got 37 or so right away and now it has 17000 miles on it and we get 39 around town and 42 on the hwy . and my wife is hard on it to boot. it is also particular about fuel it runs the best on BP fuel and shell or Mobil .

By mlrollin91
on 09/24/11 09:52 AM (PDT)

I'm sorry that you seem to be having trouble with the Gas mileage. I've had mine for 3 months now, have put about 3500 miles on it. On average on Freeway I get roughly 36-38MPG, city I get about 25MPG, combined I've been average 29-31 depending on how much I run AC and how hot it has been. I have a gas mileage app on my iPhone, and I use that every time I fill up to see if my read-out is correct and it has been off one time in 10-12 fill ups. "Eco" mode doesn't mean anything on the 2011 Model, it just is there to show your acceleration rate, if the light is on you are driving economically. On the 2012 model, when Eco is on, it supposedly changes gear ratios to help get better mileage.