A pretty decent car
By ibilkut on
2011 Hyundai Elantra GLS 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 6A)
For a little over $18k, it's hard to beat what one gets in this car. New styling in and out takes it to a modern, jazzy level. The front seat is comfortable for my 6 foot frame, and the tilt/tele wheel enables me to drop it down low, as is my preference. While the 40 mpg is on the sticker for highway, a mix of long/short drives puts me at about 34-36mpg. I'd say the car is responsive, tracks nicely on the open road, brakes quick and tight, pulls nicely into parking spots, has above average pep, and an ample trunk. I'm pleased with what this car delivered as compared to Mazda 3 and Honda Civic. There's some slight engine/road noise, but this is after all not a Lexus.
Favorite Features
iPod adapter and Bluetooth a nice addition. I like the larger rims which are alloy instead of steel with wheel covers. Heated outside mirrors and lighted vanity mirrors are new this year. While changing lanes on the highway, one touch of the directional will give you three clicks of the signal so you can return your hand to the wheel quickly. The 60/40 fold-down seats come in handy for certain trips to Home Depot or Lowe's. Integrated cruise control and radio controls on the steering wheel save stretching. Although I didn't opt for it, if you want a nav system, it's available, as is leather seats and a sunroof, and larger wheels in the Limited package. There's also a rear seat armrest.
Suggested Improvements
Dislikes: 1, Frighteningly, no spare tire (saving the 60 lbs helps the car get the 40 mpg, thus the tradeoff.) There's an electric pump and what looks like a canister that pumps glue into the tire. 2, iPod adapter, while convenient, doesn't charge the iPod. There is a 12 volt adapter there in the console tho, and also one outside the console to charge a phone or gps. 3, the 2 cup holders in the center console are so deep, a reg. coffee cup is hard to remove. I had to put a roll of elec. tape in it to give me the height. (or I guess I could switch to Venti.) 4, the Hankook tires rated 27 out of 28 on Tirerack's survey. Put a set of Kumho Optimo tires on that rated near the top of the list.