A big boring car for suburban American masses!
By streetcarben on
2011 Hyundai Elantra GLS 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 6M)
I bought this car in December after my 02 Mini was getting too expensive to maintain. I got sucked in by the 10 year warranty and the advertised fuel economy. An overall ok/good car. Not as fun to drive as my Mini. Harder to fit into small city parking spaces compared to my Mini. Fuel economy is not nearly good as what Hyundai advertises. The car is supposed to get 40 mpg's HWY. Hah! After 4 months, I average about 33/34 on the HWY. My Mini got 36 on the HWY. I live in Boston and had to go to a dealer 50 miles away to find an Elantra with a manual transmission! Transmission quality overall is pretty good. Based on my experience thus far with this car I would probably not buy another Hyundai.
Favorite Features
Manual transmission. Radio/Sound system. Driving position.
Suggested Improvements
Better fuel economy. Trip odometer. Better build quality.
By jeffdavis1
on 04/16/11 10:25 AM (PDT)

It sounds like you should have bought another Mini. This is slightly bigger than your mini, bigger engine - less mpg's. Did you think about a Smart two door instead?

By babycakes1977
on 04/25/11 14:21 PM (PDT)

nonsensical comparisons.

By spunboy
on 04/26/11 14:44 PM (PDT)

Definitely should have bought another Mini. How can you even compare these two cars?

By litesong2
on 05/11/11 12:41 PM (PDT)

The MINI has rear shoulder room of 44 inches. He must have tried 3 people directly from the concentration camp in the MINI backseat, it was still too tight, so he bought the Elantra. The 2011 Elantra has rear shoulder room of 54.8 inches. & to believe a MINI gets better MPG than an Elantra. Who woulda thunk et. Bet the Elantra would give 43 to 45MPG on flatter highways. My wife's Hyundai Accent was rated at 32MPG on the highway & it gave 42 to 45 MPG on mountain passes.

By svensmor
on 07/05/11 15:15 PM (PDT)

This whole review is suspicous.From hyundai motor usa's own mouth"the elantras with manual trans will not begin production till may 2011.This review was posted in april hmmmm.I have a 2012 mt elantra 500 miles on it not even broke in yet.48 mpg hwy at 61mph.My 17 mile one way commute rural too suburban too city then reverse this order on the way home has me averaging 39.83 mpg on my first tank of fuel.this commute has NO hwy miles.I dont understand the gas mileage complaints.Granted i am timing lights accelerating slowly and looking ahead.

By johnny9k
on 05/27/11 08:21 AM (PDT)

I just had a business trip to Boston in my Elantra. The drive there (mostly turnpike) was 38mph with the AC on. Great considering the hills. I was flirting 40mpg most of the trip, but driving into the city brought it down. The mini is more a performance car and if you drive the Elantra like the mini you will not get as good mileage.