Used 2011 Hyundai Elantra GLS Consumer Reviews - 42 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2011 Hyundai Elantra - Consumer Reviews

2011 Hyundai Elantra

View reviews for a specific Elantra model:

Misleading MPG Advertising
By m_aaslam

2011 Hyundai Elantra GLS 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 6A)

Have a 2011 Elantra GLS for 6 months now. Very, Very, Verify, disappointed with MPG not even close to advertised 40 mpg. I drive 80% highway, the best I got was 30mpg @ about 70-75mph. In the city I get 18-19mpg. VERY disappointing about the misleading advertising. Will NOT recommend this to anyone.

Honest advertising.

Stripes Earned
By patsd

2011 Hyundai Elantra GLS 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 6A)

We have 6000 miles on it now..
I just drove from Chicago to NY, with my wife, our baby, and about a ton of baby gear. The MPG calculator never beat 37... but when we arrived I realized: we drove over 800 miles and stopped for gas twice, putting in ten gallons both times. The tank has more now than when we got on the road. That's 40 mpg (at 70-80MPH).
But MPG was not why we bought this car. We test drove everything in the class, and the handling's not quite as tight as the Focus or the 3, but it's also not so far off the pace to justify the price difference. The car's balanced and stable, and there's plenty of fun to be had. And while saving money, you get more space and features. Great Car.

little/no body roll in corners. the interior is an awfully nice place to be. We average 30mpg driving almost all city in NYC. Voice activated blue tooth system in a car priced less than the competitors' base models - and it works great! That no spare/emergency sealant & compressor thing is actually WAY easier than changing a tire, especially when my very petite wife ran over some post-hurricane debris. 5 yr 24 hour roadside assistance. When wife and kid are out on the road, you just can't beat that feeling of security.

Honestly it could use a seventh, even taller gear for high speed driving. Low rolling resistance tires = jumpy driving when the roads suck.

Don't buy for gas mileage
By unclogum

2011 Hyundai Elantra GLS 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 6A)

I bought it for mileage. The days when manufactures lied to you are suppose to be over.
At 3,000 miles power steering went out. Repair time 5 days. While on board computer says 38 MPG the real gas mileage is 31-34 mpg. Six thousand of car now and just did Oregon to Wy. trip taking northern route there and southern back. Cruise control, real gas, nothing got me above 35 mpg. I don't like being lied to so I will not buy another.

Like the looks and the size.

Tell people its really a 35 mpg car at best.

Horrible Navigation System
By stellasmom

2011 Hyundai Elantra GLS 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 6A)

I've been driving my 2011 Elantra now for 9 months. I have a major complaint about the navigation system. It does not follow major highways and fastest routes. It takes you down every country road and very strange routes. Hyundai needs to update the system to better software now. I've tried using the alternate route option, but that just makes things worse. Also, everytime the car is stopped and I press the gas, both in reverse and forward, the rearend is making a pinging sound. I'm not sure what it is yet, it could be the brakes or something in the rearend. One additional problem that I am having is vibration of the engine w/ AC on. The steer wheel vibrates and something under drivers seat.

Body style

Improve the navigation software. Fix A/C related engine vibration.

If buying for Gas mileage, dont do it!!
By shanebro

2011 Hyundai Elantra GLS 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 6A)

Purchased the car in April of 2011, and I now have 11,000 miles on it. I have driven the car embarrasingly conservative (I have Smart cars and Pruis'es passing me like I am standing still... No joke) This car will NOT get 30-40 as advertized. I drive partial thruway and partial city, so I would say mixed driving. I get 26-29 mpg. I did get 35 mpg on the highway once, but I never went over 65 and I slowed up going up hills... You know the drill.)
Would love to know who they paid to get the rating that they received.
So in my opinion the only reason that you would buy this car would be for the warranty, it certainty is not "fun to drive" that for sure.

None... Sync system I guess

FUEL MILEAGE! Suspension could also use quite a bit of work, if you go over a speed bump with anything over an idle you will hit your head on the roof of the car.