2011 Hyundai Elantra Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Elantra model:
Forget the EPA Rating
By jjwjr on 12/09/11 09:45 AM (PST)

2011 Hyundai Elantra Sedan GLS 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 6A)

Among the items that entered into my purchase decision were, design, feature content, price and the MPG rating. This vehicle shines in just about every category except what most of us have at the top of our list for a compact, mileage. As a mature driver I fully expected to get at or near the 40 MPG that Hyundai touts. Sadly I've never seen anything close to 40, 34 has been tops. Where on earth did that rating come from? This car has truly been a disappointment in that area.

Excellent car but forgot the spare tire
By garoman on 11/23/11 00:10 AM (PST)

2011 Hyundai Elantra Sedan Limited 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 6A)

The Hyundai Elantra is an excellent car but Hyundai has elected to not provide a spare tire. I have owned my car for 6 months now and have had it towed twice due to not having a spare tire. The repair kit provided is a joke- you are not going to fix a gash in the side of a tire with "fix a flat." Yes, you have free roadside assistance, but my family has been stranded twice now- once in a dangerous part of town. I have purchased a spare tire so that my family will not be in danger again. Don't let them tell you their tire repair kit will get you home safely; it won't. There are other good cars out there that come with the safety equipment you need to keep your family safe.

Good looking and decent car - not so good EPA gas mileage
By lucd on 11/02/11 17:27 PM (PDT)

2011 Hyundai Elantra Sedan GLS 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 6A)

I traded my Mazda 3 Sport 2.5 liter because it did not give me good gas mileage. After buying this 2011 Elantra for it's advertised 40 mpg, I'm feeling pretty foolish. The car is a good looking car, but very disappointed in gas mileage. I average 34 mpg in the summer with 70% highway and 30% city. I baby the gas pedal. Now I put on snow tires and I'm getting 31 mpg. 40 mpg not so much. If I'd of known how deceptive the MPG was going to be, I'd of kept my Mazda. Hyndai Sonata is a good car with very average MPG.

Misleading MPG Advertising
By m_aaslam on 10/21/11 14:54 PM (PDT)

2011 Hyundai Elantra Sedan GLS 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 6A)

Have a 2011 Elantra GLS for 6 months now. Very, Very, Verify, disappointed with MPG not even close to advertised 40 mpg. I drive 80% highway, the best I got was 30mpg @ about 70-75mph. In the city I get 18-19mpg. VERY disappointing about the misleading advertising. Will NOT recommend this to anyone.

2011 Hyundai Elantra Ltd. Review
By md2011 on 10/13/11 08:33 AM (PDT)

2011 Hyundai Elantra Sedan Limited PZEV 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 6A)

Bought this car in March of 2011 (Traded in my 09 Elantra GLS). Over the time I have had the vehicle I have been very impressed in the advancements over the previous model. Great performance, comfort, design, mpg the list goes on and on. A couple cons I do have is them removing features that were in the 09 Elantra such as glove box light, double storage in the arm rest dual map seat back storage and top of dash storage. As a sum they have done an excellent job on this vehicle and also requires less maintance than the 09 such as new timing chain and lifetime transmission fluid. Been very impressed! Best bang for the buck with all the features! Intend to keep this car for many years!

Stripes Earned
By patsd on 10/05/11 08:03 AM (PDT)

2011 Hyundai Elantra Sedan GLS 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 6A)

We have 6000 miles on it now.. I just drove from Chicago to NY, with my wife, our baby, and about a ton of baby gear. The MPG calculator never beat 37... but when we arrived I realized: we drove over 800 miles and stopped for gas twice, putting in ten gallons both times. The tank has more now than when we got on the road. That's 40 mpg (at 70-80MPH). But MPG was not why we bought this car. We test drove everything in the class, and the handling's not quite as tight as the Focus or the 3, but it's also not so far off the pace to justify the price difference. The car's balanced and stable, and there's plenty of fun to be had. And while saving money, you get more space and features. Great Car.

Amazing Car!
By mlrollin91 on 09/24/11 09:55 AM (PDT)

2011 Hyundai Elantra Sedan Limited PZEV 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 6A)

I absolutely love this car. Gas mileage is amazing on this vehicle. Only car that I have had that comes even close to the EPA rating. The only gripe I have is that when purchasing the Limited Premium Package, the so called 360Watt sound system is not even close to 360Watt. Maybe 200 at most. Replacing speakers and putting in a subwoofer for the lows and the car is perfect. Recommend to everyone.

Another Bad Car Decision
By whblack on 09/19/11 21:36 PM (PDT)

2011 Hyundai Elantra Sedan Limited 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 6A)

We traded in our 2006 CR-V because we really didn't need an SUV and were looking for a reliable car with excellent gas mileage. Getting the Elantra was a mistake. After reading the reviews on the Elantra, we thought we were getting a better car. We looked at the Corolla, Civic, and Hybrids. We decided to go with the Elantra because it was not a hybrid, offered really good gas mileage, and promised reliability. The Elantra's mileage is not as advertised. After 4 months and over 3000 miles, we are averaging about 23-25 mpg (around 31-34 on the hwy). I don't believe the mpg read-out on the car and don't know what the 'ECO' mode means (on most of the time). We're worried about quality now.

Don't buy for gas mileage
By unclogum on 09/17/11 11:13 AM (PDT)

2011 Hyundai Elantra Sedan GLS 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 6A)

I bought it for mileage. The days when manufactures lied to you are suppose to be over. At 3,000 miles power steering went out. Repair time 5 days. While on board computer says 38 MPG the real gas mileage is 31-34 mpg. Six thousand of car now and just did Oregon to Wy. trip taking northern route there and southern back. Cruise control, real gas, nothing got me above 35 mpg. I don't like being lied to so I will not buy another.

Horrible Navigation System
By stellasmom on 09/17/11 09:18 AM (PDT)

2011 Hyundai Elantra Sedan GLS 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 6A)

I've been driving my 2011 Elantra now for 9 months. I have a major complaint about the navigation system. It does not follow major highways and fastest routes. It takes you down every country road and very strange routes. Hyundai needs to update the system to better software now. I've tried using the alternate route option, but that just makes things worse. Also, everytime the car is stopped and I press the gas, both in reverse and forward, the rearend is making a pinging sound. I'm not sure what it is yet, it could be the brakes or something in the rearend. One additional problem that I am having is vibration of the engine w/ AC on. The steer wheel vibrates and something under drivers seat.

The Edmunds TCO® estimated monthly insurance payment for a 2011 Hyundai Elantra Sedan in VA is:

$134 per month*