Used 2011 Hyundai Elantra GLS Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2011 Hyundai Elantra - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Elantra model:

Poor Mileage
By unclogum

2011 Hyundai Elantra GLS 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 6A)

Eight thousand miles including a 2,300 mile trip where above 65 is a no no . You who like to say 40 mpg need to forget the trip computer and do it with a calculator . Warning , you will not like it. Power steering went nuts at 3,000 mile and car was shopped for 3 days. Wind sheild wiper blades replaced after 8 months with Napa ones. What a difference. Other than that Ok car. Would not replace with another . Mileage claim annoys me and from what I read , a lot of other folks as wall. Figure ave 33 mpg.

Favorite Features

Radio controls on steering wheel make life easy.

Suggested Improvements

Tell the truth about the mileage. I m a former owner of two Honda CRX's , one got 48 mpg and one 45. different years. One Geo Metro that got 43 Mpg. Same driver , so its not like a grew a lead foot.

Elantra
By kgrigsby

2011 Hyundai Elantra GLS 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 6A)

I have read all of the reviews that were put out there. Before bashing the car you bought 2 things you people should think about . 1st all of you should of waited till it broke in before you complain. 2nd the car is very sensitive about what fuel goes in it . It does not like top tier fuel. This is my wife and i 3rd Hyundai and all 3 did not get the best mileage until they had 12000 miles on them or so. We with 17000 on ours get 39 around town and 42 on the hwy and my wife drives ours hard. Hyundai is a great CO. and the car is a great car it does everything they said it would

Suggested Improvements

Keep the ECO green light on . Don't use top tier gas in it and keep tire pressure right.

Forget the EPA Rating
By jjwjr

2011 Hyundai Elantra GLS 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 6A)

Among the items that entered into my purchase decision were, design, feature content, price and the MPG rating. This vehicle shines in just about every category except what most of us have at the top of our list for a compact, mileage. As a mature driver I fully expected to get at or near the 40 MPG that Hyundai touts. Sadly I've never seen anything close to 40, 34 has been tops. Where on earth did that rating come from? This car has truly been a disappointment in that area.

Favorite Features

On the plus side outstanding items start with the best warranty in the industry. Combine that with an extremely workable interior. Controls are easy to reach and use. This is the closest thing to a sports car I've owned in 20 years. The transmission is smooth, steering effort minimal and the ride fairly quiet for a compact.

Suggested Improvements

1) Get better gas mileage. 2) Get better gas mileage. 3) Get better gas mileage.

Good looking and decent car - not so good EPA gas mileage
By lucd

2011 Hyundai Elantra GLS 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 6A)

I traded my Mazda 3 Sport 2.5 liter because it did not give me good gas mileage. After buying this 2011 Elantra for it's advertised 40 mpg, I'm feeling pretty foolish. The car is a good looking car, but very disappointed in gas mileage. I average 34 mpg in the summer with 70% highway and 30% city. I baby the gas pedal. Now I put on snow tires and I'm getting 31 mpg. 40 mpg not so much. If I'd of known how deceptive the MPG was going to be, I'd of kept my Mazda. Hyndai Sonata is a good car with very average MPG.

Favorite Features

Auto locks after you put it in gear.

Suggested Improvements

Be honest in you MPG claims. Yes, you'll get close to 40 MPG maybe, using summer tires, on flat roads with no wind, running at a steady 60 mph.

Misleading MPG Advertising
By m_aaslam

2011 Hyundai Elantra GLS 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 6A)

Have a 2011 Elantra GLS for 6 months now. Very, Very, Verify, disappointed with MPG not even close to advertised 40 mpg. I drive 80% highway, the best I got was 30mpg @ about 70-75mph. In the city I get 18-19mpg. VERY disappointing about the misleading advertising. Will NOT recommend this to anyone.

Suggested Improvements

Honest advertising.