Used 2011 Hyundai Elantra Limited Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2011 Hyundai Elantra - Consumer Reviews

2011 Hyundai Elantra

View reviews for a specific Elantra model:

Mileage Update
By youngblood

2011 Hyundai Elantra Limited 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 6A)

Update on mileage: I now have over 6,000 on my 2011 Elantra and mileage numbers have not improved. I'm getting 23-24 mpg on city streets with moderate stop/go traffic (avg speed 26 mph). On the interstate I'm getting 32 mpg at 75 mph and 35-36 mpg at a steady speed of 65 mph. In the warmer fall weather I did get 40 mpg once when driving a steady 55 (with everyone else passing me). The city mpg is the most disappointing as it is not much better than our larger Nissan Altima. I thought the EPA revised their mileage estimates downward to be more "real world," but it appears they are still inflated.

Favorite Features

Positives: heated seats are nice in the winter months. Sound system & bluetooth work well, although some larger rear window shelf speakers should be included in the "Limited" model. Controls are logical and easy to use.

Suggested Improvements

On/off switch for daytime running lights. Better quality material for "leather" seats (it feels more like a leather/plastic blend). The wiper blades are very poor - lots of streaking. Not covered by warranty. Hyundai still not even stocking spare tires even for purchase after the sale.

Quality concerns the more miles we drive
By matheson1977

2011 Hyundai Elantra Limited 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 6A)

Car is OK at best, easy to like inside and out and a good value....but you sometimes get what you pay for. We've had ours for a bit more than 9 months and find it has 'loosened up" quite a bit. We have noticed mostly in cooler wether several rattles from the inside and creeks and groans from the suspension. the engine also seem to be making much more noise than nomal, sounding very ticky at times. I have had it in to the dealer for that and they say its normal. I'm also very dissapointed with the fuel economy, its nowhere near whats advertised no matter how or where i drive.

Favorite Features

Fun to zip around town in. Tons of features for the $$

Suggested Improvements

VERY sensitive to crosswinds, noisy on the highway, fuel economy is dissapointing, build quality shows serious flaws as the mileage goes up. Average car, i'm rather dissapointed overall.

Excellent car but forgot the spare tire
By garoman

2011 Hyundai Elantra Limited 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 6A)

The Hyundai Elantra is an excellent car but Hyundai has elected to not provide a spare tire. I have owned my car for 6 months now and have had it towed twice due to not having a spare tire. The repair kit provided is a joke- you are not going to fix a gash in the side of a tire with "fix a flat." Yes, you have free roadside assistance, but my family has been stranded twice now- once in a dangerous part of town. I have purchased a spare tire so that my family will not be in danger again. Don't let them tell you their tire repair kit will get you home safely; it won't. There are other good cars out there that come with the safety equipment you need to keep your family safe.

Suggested Improvements

Put a spare tire, jack, and lug wrench and you'd have a car I'd buy again. Leave them out and I'll take my business elsewhere

Another Bad Car Decision
By whblack

2011 Hyundai Elantra Limited 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 6A)

We traded in our 2006 CR-V because we really didn't need an SUV and were looking for a reliable car with excellent gas mileage. Getting the Elantra was a mistake. After reading the reviews on the Elantra, we thought we were getting a better car. We looked at the Corolla, Civic, and Hybrids. We decided to go with the Elantra because it was not a hybrid, offered really good gas mileage, and promised reliability. The Elantra's mileage is not as advertised. After 4 months and over 3000 miles, we are averaging about 23-25 mpg (around 31-34 on the hwy). I don't believe the mpg read-out on the car and don't know what the 'ECO' mode means (on most of the time). We're worried about quality now.

Favorite Features

Body styling and warranty.

Suggested Improvements

Truth in advertising about mileage.

Great compact car
By fmcpherson

2011 Hyundai Elantra Limited 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 6A)

Test drove the Honda Civic, Accord, and Scions. None could compete with the Elantra's price, equipment, style, warranty, and mileage. It is a very comfortable and fun car to drive. Back seat leg room in very impressive for its class. The only feature I don't like is the flat repair kit in place of a spare tire. Local dealerships were trying to add an additional $3,000 over MSRP, but I found a customer oriented dealership that didn't feel like taking advantage of customers on the popular models and sold me the car at a very good price.

Favorite Features

Lights are great. Love the front and rear heated seats, bluetooth, and steering wheel controls.

Suggested Improvements

Compact spare.