2011 Hyundai Elantra 1.8L 4-cyl. 6-speed Automatic Consumer Reviews 2

2011 Hyundai Elantra - Consumer Reviews

GLS Sedan (1.8L 4-cyl. 6-speed Automatic)

View reviews for a specific Elantra model:
Poor Mileage
By unclogum on 01/24/12 17:41 PM (PST)

2011 Hyundai Elantra GLS 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 6A)

Eight thousand miles including a 2,300 mile trip where above 65 is a no no . You who like to say 40 mpg need to forget the trip computer and do it with a calculator . Warning , you will not like it. Power steering went nuts at 3,000 mile and car was shopped for 3 days. Wind sheild wiper blades replaced after 8 months with Napa ones. What a difference. Other than that Ok car. Would not replace with another . Mileage claim annoys me and from what I read , a lot of other folks as wall. Figure ave 33 mpg.

Elantra
By kgrigsby on 12/14/11 08:03 AM (PST)

2011 Hyundai Elantra GLS 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 6A)

I have read all of the reviews that were put out there. Before bashing the car you bought 2 things you people should think about . 1st all of you should of waited till it broke in before you complain. 2nd the car is very sensitive about what fuel goes in it . It does not like top tier fuel. This is my wife and i 3rd Hyundai and all 3 did not get the best mileage until they had 12000 miles on them or so. We with 17000 on ours get 39 around town and 42 on the hwy and my wife drives ours hard. Hyundai is a great CO. and the car is a great car it does everything they said it would

Forget the EPA Rating
By jjwjr on 12/09/11 09:45 AM (PST)

2011 Hyundai Elantra GLS 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 6A)

Among the items that entered into my purchase decision were, design, feature content, price and the MPG rating. This vehicle shines in just about every category except what most of us have at the top of our list for a compact, mileage. As a mature driver I fully expected to get at or near the 40 MPG that Hyundai touts. Sadly I've never seen anything close to 40, 34 has been tops. Where on earth did that rating come from? This car has truly been a disappointment in that area.

Good looking and decent car - not so good EPA gas mileage
By lucd on 11/02/11 17:27 PM (PDT)

2011 Hyundai Elantra GLS 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 6A)

I traded my Mazda 3 Sport 2.5 liter because it did not give me good gas mileage. After buying this 2011 Elantra for it's advertised 40 mpg, I'm feeling pretty foolish. The car is a good looking car, but very disappointed in gas mileage. I average 34 mpg in the summer with 70% highway and 30% city. I baby the gas pedal. Now I put on snow tires and I'm getting 31 mpg. 40 mpg not so much. If I'd of known how deceptive the MPG was going to be, I'd of kept my Mazda. Hyndai Sonata is a good car with very average MPG.

Misleading MPG Advertising
By m_aaslam on 10/21/11 14:54 PM (PDT)

2011 Hyundai Elantra GLS 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 6A)

Have a 2011 Elantra GLS for 6 months now. Very, Very, Verify, disappointed with MPG not even close to advertised 40 mpg. I drive 80% highway, the best I got was 30mpg @ about 70-75mph. In the city I get 18-19mpg. VERY disappointing about the misleading advertising. Will NOT recommend this to anyone.

Stripes Earned
By patsd on 10/05/11 08:03 AM (PDT)

2011 Hyundai Elantra GLS 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 6A)

We have 6000 miles on it now.. I just drove from Chicago to NY, with my wife, our baby, and about a ton of baby gear. The MPG calculator never beat 37... but when we arrived I realized: we drove over 800 miles and stopped for gas twice, putting in ten gallons both times. The tank has more now than when we got on the road. That's 40 mpg (at 70-80MPH). But MPG was not why we bought this car. We test drove everything in the class, and the handling's not quite as tight as the Focus or the 3, but it's also not so far off the pace to justify the price difference. The car's balanced and stable, and there's plenty of fun to be had. And while saving money, you get more space and features. Great Car.

Don't buy for gas mileage
By unclogum on 09/17/11 11:13 AM (PDT)

2011 Hyundai Elantra GLS 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 6A)

I bought it for mileage. The days when manufactures lied to you are suppose to be over. At 3,000 miles power steering went out. Repair time 5 days. While on board computer says 38 MPG the real gas mileage is 31-34 mpg. Six thousand of car now and just did Oregon to Wy. trip taking northern route there and southern back. Cruise control, real gas, nothing got me above 35 mpg. I don't like being lied to so I will not buy another.

Horrible Navigation System
By stellasmom on 09/17/11 09:18 AM (PDT)

2011 Hyundai Elantra GLS 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 6A)

I've been driving my 2011 Elantra now for 9 months. I have a major complaint about the navigation system. It does not follow major highways and fastest routes. It takes you down every country road and very strange routes. Hyundai needs to update the system to better software now. I've tried using the alternate route option, but that just makes things worse. Also, everytime the car is stopped and I press the gas, both in reverse and forward, the rearend is making a pinging sound. I'm not sure what it is yet, it could be the brakes or something in the rearend. One additional problem that I am having is vibration of the engine w/ AC on. The steer wheel vibrates and something under drivers seat.

If buying for Gas mileage, dont do it!!
By shanebro on 09/05/11 13:30 PM (PDT)

2011 Hyundai Elantra GLS 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 6A)

Purchased the car in April of 2011, and I now have 11,000 miles on it. I have driven the car embarrasingly conservative (I have Smart cars and Pruis'es passing me like I am standing still... No joke) This car will NOT get 30-40 as advertized. I drive partial thruway and partial city, so I would say mixed driving. I get 26-29 mpg. I did get 35 mpg on the highway once, but I never went over 65 and I slowed up going up hills... You know the drill.) Would love to know who they paid to get the rating that they received. So in my opinion the only reason that you would buy this car would be for the warranty, it certainty is not "fun to drive" that for sure.

Annoying engine vibration
By stellasmom on 08/06/11 07:07 AM (PDT)

2011 Hyundai Elantra GLS 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 6A)

I bought my 2011 Elantra in January. My mpg averages 27 in the city and as high as 37 on a 600 mile trip. I'm not getting the advertised mpg. My major compliant is that the car's engine vibrates at idle with the air conditioner on and the engine is hot. Very annoying. The steering wheel vibrates and the driver's side seat vibrates. I took it to dealer service dept to have this checked out and was informed that there was no fix. The car has no idle adjustment. I've owned cars this size all my life and it's been since the 70s that I've owned a car that vibrated. Obviously the engine is not powerful enough to carry the load of the air conditioner. Cute car, but don't let looks fool you.