2011 Hyundai Elantra Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Elantra model:
41000 Leased Miles Review
By vixyswillie on 01/01/14 13:20 PM (PST)

2011 Hyundai Elantra Sedan Limited 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 6A)

Review based on 41000 leased driving miles in SE Wisconsin. No major mechanical problems. One recall repair for defective airbag headliner support bracket. Scheduled maintenance costs low. Ride somewhat noisy and rough, including side-to-side jostling over stretches of rough roads. Poor performance in snowy/slippery conditions (could have been a tires issue). Maneuverability excellent. Feature set excellent - an amazing value for the money. Beautiful exterior styling - got lots of compliments on the car. Interior comfortable, fairly roomy and well designed. Outstanding fuel economy (low to mid 30's combined city/highway). I would recommend this car.

blows smoke
By seprfi on 09/23/13 09:36 AM (PDT)

2011 Hyundai Elantra Sedan Limited 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 6A)

i have seen multiple comments online about the elantra blowing smoke. i have had the same problem,almost causing an accident on the freeway at 65 mph. people were swerving behind us. the dealership said we were blowing the carbon out, but we were doing 65 mph for quite a long time before i had to go into passing gear to change lanes to get off the freeway. Who do we escalate our complaint too ?

update on 2011 Elantra Limited
By youngblood on 03/16/13 10:22 AM (PDT)

2011 Hyundai Elantra Sedan Limited 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 6A)

Now have 13,500 miles with no change in gas mileage due to "break-in." On the highway, still get 33 mpg at 75-80 mph; 35-36 mpg at 65 mph; and 38-40 mpg at 55 mph. City driving (avg. 25 mph) is 22-24 mpg. Mileage is better with "regular" gas vs. 10% ethanol blend. No mechanical problems although I was told that rear wheels cannot be aligned - no adjustment possible. Ride is harsh and noisy at times. "Leather" seats are comfortable and showing no wear yet. Still get compliments on appearance of car.

Hyundai Does Not Stand Behind Their Product
By jason010 on 05/10/12 14:59 PM (PDT)

2011 Hyundai Elantra Sedan Limited 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 6A)

I purchased a 2011 Elantra new just over one year ago. I am a sales rep and I drive the car quite a bit. I now have 45k miles on the car. It gets good mileage (30-32 mpg in the hills of East TN). The cab is roomy & comfortable & the engine has been fine so far. Now, on to the issues I have with it. The car rides very rough, the road noise is terrible (and gets worse with time), & overall quality of the materials is questionable. Recently, all the audio (radio, bluetooth, and button) just went out. Hyundai won't fix it & basically told me to [non-permissible content removed]. The radio/navigation only has a 36k warranty, along with the paint. This tells me Hyundai knows the audio system is crap & doesn't care.

Mileage Update
By youngblood on 01/21/12 06:44 AM (PST)

2011 Hyundai Elantra Sedan Limited 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 6A)

Update on mileage: I now have over 6,000 on my 2011 Elantra and mileage numbers have not improved. I'm getting 23-24 mpg on city streets with moderate stop/go traffic (avg speed 26 mph). On the interstate I'm getting 32 mpg at 75 mph and 35-36 mpg at a steady speed of 65 mph. In the warmer fall weather I did get 40 mpg once when driving a steady 55 (with everyone else passing me). The city mpg is the most disappointing as it is not much better than our larger Nissan Altima. I thought the EPA revised their mileage estimates downward to be more "real world," but it appears they are still inflated.

Quality concerns the more miles we drive
By matheson1977 on 01/16/12 11:02 AM (PST)

2011 Hyundai Elantra Sedan Limited 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 6A)

Car is OK at best, easy to like inside and out and a good value....but you sometimes get what you pay for. We've had ours for a bit more than 9 months and find it has 'loosened up" quite a bit. We have noticed mostly in cooler wether several rattles from the inside and creeks and groans from the suspension. the engine also seem to be making much more noise than nomal, sounding very ticky at times. I have had it in to the dealer for that and they say its normal. I'm also very dissapointed with the fuel economy, its nowhere near whats advertised no matter how or where i drive.

Excellent car but forgot the spare tire
By garoman on 11/23/11 00:10 AM (PST)

2011 Hyundai Elantra Sedan Limited 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 6A)

The Hyundai Elantra is an excellent car but Hyundai has elected to not provide a spare tire. I have owned my car for 6 months now and have had it towed twice due to not having a spare tire. The repair kit provided is a joke- you are not going to fix a gash in the side of a tire with "fix a flat." Yes, you have free roadside assistance, but my family has been stranded twice now- once in a dangerous part of town. I have purchased a spare tire so that my family will not be in danger again. Don't let them tell you their tire repair kit will get you home safely; it won't. There are other good cars out there that come with the safety equipment you need to keep your family safe.

Another Bad Car Decision
By whblack on 09/19/11 21:36 PM (PDT)

2011 Hyundai Elantra Sedan Limited 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 6A)

We traded in our 2006 CR-V because we really didn't need an SUV and were looking for a reliable car with excellent gas mileage. Getting the Elantra was a mistake. After reading the reviews on the Elantra, we thought we were getting a better car. We looked at the Corolla, Civic, and Hybrids. We decided to go with the Elantra because it was not a hybrid, offered really good gas mileage, and promised reliability. The Elantra's mileage is not as advertised. After 4 months and over 3000 miles, we are averaging about 23-25 mpg (around 31-34 on the hwy). I don't believe the mpg read-out on the car and don't know what the 'ECO' mode means (on most of the time). We're worried about quality now.

Great compact car
By fmcpherson on 07/12/11 19:15 PM (PDT)

2011 Hyundai Elantra Sedan Limited 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 6A)

Test drove the Honda Civic, Accord, and Scions. None could compete with the Elantra's price, equipment, style, warranty, and mileage. It is a very comfortable and fun car to drive. Back seat leg room in very impressive for its class. The only feature I don't like is the flat repair kit in place of a spare tire. Local dealerships were trying to add an additional $3,000 over MSRP, but I found a customer oriented dealership that didn't feel like taking advantage of customers on the popular models and sold me the car at a very good price.

Great car
By skisurf1 on 06/16/11 21:11 PM (PDT)

2011 Hyundai Elantra Sedan Limited 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 6A)

I own a 2006 Civic currently and have owned a Chevy and Toyota. The dealer experience was not up to speed but the car is. You just can beat the warranty, the price and free road side assistance for 5 years. Honda civic would cost $3000 more and probably have as many recalls like my current Honda's. The transmission kills my 06 Civic. I feel little vibrations in the seat and cabin is quiet compared to Honda. I can't say enough about the design. They have surpassed Honda and Toyota simply as that.

The Edmunds TCO® estimated monthly insurance payment for a 2011 Hyundai Elantra Sedan in VA is:

$136 per month*