Used 2011 Hyundai Elantra GLS Consumer Reviews - 5 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2011 Hyundai Elantra - Consumer Reviews

2011 Hyundai Elantra

View reviews for a specific Elantra model:

Very disappointed!!!
By Linda S.

2011 Hyundai Elantra GLS 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 6M)

In Feb. 2011 I bought my brand new Elantra. Had to have a dealer call me when one came in as they were selling like hot cakes and none of the dealers had one to even look at in San Diego. It was exciting to see such a beautifully designed car inside and out that would get 29/40 mpg. WOW! This would be only the 2nd "new" car I've purchased and felt the mpg would make up a lot of the difference in the new car price. The car got 24 mpg! How disappointing. Took it to every Hyundai dealer in San Diego and no one could or would help me and gave me the run around telling me "the car needed a break in period that would finish about 7,500 miles. I called what I thought was the Hyundai Corp. and after two years realized I was calling a third party that is hired by Auto Manufacturers to take complaints, etc. Finally, I told them that I'd heard them say "I'm sorry" for the last time and would contact an attorney. Contacted a Lemon Law attorney and they couldn't help me as it wasn't an issue with a failing part on the car. To appease many disgruntled and lied to Elantra owners, Hyundai issued many gas cards that equaled a few cents per mile reimbursement for inflating the mpg the car would get. So, I had to go to the dealer, wait in the service dept. line to have someone check my milage, fill out a claim form and wait for the reimbursement card to arrive. Then, when I needed the card refilled had to go to the dealer again and have money added to the card. And very little money I might add. I liked everthing about my purchase except the mpg THAT WAS INFLATED BY 9 mpg and VERY POOR CUSTOMER SERVICE!!! I sold the car with 17,000 miles. It was covered under the warranty to replace the driver headlight where the plastic was peeling eling off. Don't think I'll ever buy another Korean car. It was a stressful, bad experience.

Six-Speed Manual; Great First Car
By Savian Walker

2011 Hyundai Elantra GLS 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 6M)

This is a great car for anyone seeking to learn how to drive/drive a manual transmission. The front seats are comfortable and the car is easy to control. All of this is coming from a fifteen year old who has a learner's permit. The only gripe are that the seat stain easily (with water!!!) and the rear end can get a little antsy in the highway. The car has been very reliable for only being in for the curtain airbags recall and regular service. The car now has 129,000.

Don't Buy!!! Spun Rod Bearing after 6000 miles !!!
By johnrichards

2011 Hyundai Elantra GLS 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 6M)

I wish i could write a good review, and would have if i hadn't been stranded on the highway yesterday.
Engine started rattling violently out of nowhere and lost all power.
I was almost rear ended trying to get to the shoulder.
Dealer diagnosed a spun rod bearing !!!
They offered to replace the short block but not the entire engine.
I don't feel safe driving this vehicle any longer ... i guess i'm selling it at a loss.
I'll go back to my beaters that have never left me stranded! (the car was never abused and i never went above 4k rpm).
I guess some things are too good to be true.

everything except the engine

fix the engine

My Experience with 2011 Elantra GLS Manual
By allen51

2011 Hyundai Elantra GLS 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 6M)

After about a month of on-line research, I test drove the 2011 Elantra GLS, Fiesta, Civic, and Kia Forte.
All were fine cars, but in terms of value and the entire package, I was left wondering why anyone would buy a Civic.
I now have purchased and driven the Elantra for over 5000 miles.
It handles well, have not noticed the road noise some folks mention, and my gas mileage has exceeded expectations (I do a great deal of highway travel, and average between 43 and 46 MPG).
The interior feels about the same size as my old BMW 325I.

I have had more than one person ask me about the car, which I was not expecting when I purchased an economy car. It looks good, but more importantly, Hyundai provides the best bumper to bumper warranty I have located (60K). Further, my dealership provides a lifetime warranty on the engine and drive train. I like a manufacturer that stands behind its product. I am aware of Civic's legendary quality, but wondered by Honda does not provide a similar warranty. Could it be because Civics' reputation for reliability is simply that ... legendary?

I purchased a manual transmission and would have liked to have Bluetooth as a factory option. Similarly I would have liked to have fog lights as a option. The hubcaps are a little cheesy, but the entire package was under $18K with tax, freight, other miscellaneous charges .. but with a GLS manual, with air, cruise, tilt, 16 inch wheels, etc. ... how can I really complain?

A big boring car for suburban American masses!
By streetcarben

2011 Hyundai Elantra GLS 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 6M)

I bought this car in December after my 02 Mini was getting too expensive to maintain. I got sucked in by the 10 year warranty and the advertised fuel economy. An overall ok/good car. Not as fun to drive as my Mini. Harder to fit into small city parking spaces compared to my Mini. Fuel economy is not nearly good as what Hyundai advertises. The car is supposed to get 40 mpg's HWY. Hah! After 4 months, I average about 33/34 on the HWY. My Mini got 36 on the HWY. I live in Boston and had to go to a dealer 50 miles away to find an Elantra with a manual transmission! Transmission quality overall is pretty good. Based on my experience thus far with this car I would probably not buy another Hyundai.

Manual transmission. Radio/Sound system. Driving position.

Better fuel economy. Trip odometer. Better build quality.