2011 Hyundai Elantra - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Elantra model:
Don't Buy!!! Spun Rod Bearing after 6000 miles !!!
By johnrichards on 06/24/11 12:59 PM (PDT)

2011 Hyundai Elantra GLS 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 6M)

I wish i could write a good review, and would have if i hadn't been stranded on the highway yesterday. Engine started rattling violently out of nowhere and lost all power. I was almost rear ended trying to get to the shoulder. Dealer diagnosed a spun rod bearing !!! They offered to replace the short block but not the entire engine. I don't feel safe driving this vehicle any longer ... i guess i'm selling it at a loss. I'll go back to my beaters that have never left me stranded! (the car was never abused and i never went above 4k rpm). I guess some things are too good to be true.

My Experience with 2011 Elantra GLS Manual
By allen51 on 05/16/11 13:06 PM (PDT)

2011 Hyundai Elantra GLS 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 6M)

After about a month of on-line research, I test drove the 2011 Elantra GLS, Fiesta, Civic, and Kia Forte. All were fine cars, but in terms of value and the entire package, I was left wondering why anyone would buy a Civic. I now have purchased and driven the Elantra for over 5000 miles. It handles well, have not noticed the road noise some folks mention, and my gas mileage has exceeded expectations (I do a great deal of highway travel, and average between 43 and 46 MPG). The interior feels about the same size as my old BMW 325I.

A big boring car for suburban American masses!
By streetcarben on 04/08/11 15:07 PM (PDT)

2011 Hyundai Elantra GLS 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 6M)

I bought this car in December after my 02 Mini was getting too expensive to maintain. I got sucked in by the 10 year warranty and the advertised fuel economy. An overall ok/good car. Not as fun to drive as my Mini. Harder to fit into small city parking spaces compared to my Mini. Fuel economy is not nearly good as what Hyundai advertises. The car is supposed to get 40 mpg's HWY. Hah! After 4 months, I average about 33/34 on the HWY. My Mini got 36 on the HWY. I live in Boston and had to go to a dealer 50 miles away to find an Elantra with a manual transmission! Transmission quality overall is pretty good. Based on my experience thus far with this car I would probably not buy another Hyundai.

The Edmunds TCO® estimated monthly insurance payment for a 2011 Hyundai Elantra in VA is:

$136 per month*