Used 2011 Hyundai Elantra Consumer Reviews - 88 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2011 Hyundai Elantra - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Elantra model:

Very disappointed!!!
By Linda S.

2011 Hyundai Elantra GLS 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 6M)

In Feb. 2011 I bought my brand new Elantra. Had to have a dealer call me when one came in as they were selling like hot cakes and none of the dealers had one to even look at in San Diego. It was exciting to see such a beautifully designed car inside and out that would get 29/40 mpg. WOW! This would be only the 2nd "new" car I've purchased and felt the mpg would make up a lot of the difference in the new car price. The car got 24 mpg! How disappointing. Took it to every Hyundai dealer in San Diego and no one could or would help me and gave me the run around telling me "the car needed a break in period that would finish about 7,500 miles. I called what I thought was the Hyundai Corp. and after two years realized I was calling a third party that is hired by Auto Manufacturers to take complaints, etc. Finally, I told them that I'd heard them say "I'm sorry" for the last time and would contact an attorney. Contacted a Lemon Law attorney and they couldn't help me as it wasn't an issue with a failing part on the car. To appease many disgruntled and lied to Elantra owners, Hyundai issued many gas cards that equaled a few cents per mile reimbursement for inflating the mpg the car would get. So, I had to go to the dealer, wait in the service dept. line to have someone check my milage, fill out a claim form and wait for the reimbursement card to arrive. Then, when I needed the card refilled had to go to the dealer again and have money added to the card. And very little money I might add. I liked everthing about my purchase except the mpg THAT WAS INFLATED BY 9 mpg and VERY POOR CUSTOMER SERVICE!!! I sold the car with 17,000 miles. It was covered under the warranty to replace the driver headlight where the plastic was peeling eling off. Don't think I'll ever buy another Korean car. It was a stressful, bad experience.

PISSED!
By Ronald

2011 Hyundai Elantra GLS 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 6A)

I bought the 2011 Elantra new. Hyundai avertized 39mpg on the road, the best was 34mpg. I fought with the deal about one year. Then it appears they were taken to court for that, and now each year I take it in to slow them my miles I have, and then I get a gift card for $80-100.
Next the car started locking in gear, the towed it in and fixed that problem. This was followed by having transmission problems, that finally they put another TRANS (79, 000 miles) in it (only after a number of trips back to the dealer. After that I had to take it in for something on a recall.
Then around 95,000 it started having difficulty shifting into third gear. This problem came and went. It ALWAYS seemed to improve as I was about to take it into the shop. This time it continue non stop for about a week so I took it in. Well they said I need the SECOND NEW TRANS. But now I was over bought warranties. They said the original warranty is for 100,000 and I'm at 104,000, so I'm over that, and the warrenty for the replacement TRANS that I got a 79,000, is only good for 12,000. So that means I 4,000 over origin warrenty, and 25,000 over warrenty for the second TRANS. Now they want me to pay $2,900 for the second TRANS! Well, I was told this the day before thanksgiving, I've had time to calm down, so I go back tomorrow I speak with someone else. I guess if they don't cover the cost, then I begin a campaign of writing on these forums/blogs, etc. Letting people know of my experiences. This is my 5th Hyundai, and if they don't do the right thing and put a new TRANS in at NO COST to me...it will be the last HYUNDAI I EVER PURCHASE!
I also have concerns about the paint chipping and the floor mats wearing out!
If anyone can help please respond here, [contact info removed].

Horrible Car
By Sarah

2011 Hyundai Elantra GLS PZEV 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 6A)

I bought my 2011 Hyundai Elantra GLS last May with only 38,000 miles on it. For the first 6 months it was fine... in less than a year I had to replace all brakes, all rotors, all calipers, all the tires, all the coils, all the spark plugs, and get the seats professionally cleaned because WATER stains them...
I was STILL having issues with it and no one could seem to find the issue... when we went back to the Hyundai Dealer and they drained my engine they found a ton of metal in the oil pan... the engine is done. Now I owe $10,000 on a car that needs a new engine that Hyundai would only give me $500 bucks for if I wanted to trade it in. I am, therefore, stuck with replacing the engine. I will hope that with a new engine they will give me at least $6,000 for it and I will take the loss so that I can trade in for a new car. This car has drained our savings and really hurt my work because I've been stranded numerous times on the side of the road because he stopped accelerating (also a problem we could not find "why"). Even with winter tires, the car is so light is has swung out in the rear on the highway going 40 mph in the winter blocking the highway. I feel safer in our "beater" car which is a 2001 Jetta. Horrible car.

Six-Speed Manual; Great First Car
By Savian Walker

2011 Hyundai Elantra GLS 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 6M)

This is a great car for anyone seeking to learn how to drive/drive a manual transmission. The front seats are comfortable and the car is easy to control. All of this is coming from a fifteen year old who has a learner's permit. The only gripe are that the seat stain easily (with water!!!) and the rear end can get a little antsy in the highway. The car has been very reliable for only being in for the curtain airbags recall and regular service. The car now has 129,000.

Tolerable
By cheapster1

2011 Hyundai Elantra Limited 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 6A)

I bought the car used eight months (9500 miles) ago. The style is nice, the price was right, and it has lots of desirable features.. However, the gas mileage is poor, generally about 24 mpg, with 80% on city streets and 20% on California's freeways. The highway ride quality is barely tolerable. Even with new tires and wheel balancing there's considerable bouncing and vibration.

Update: Tolerable no longer felt tolerable. I traded it in for a 2013 Hyundai Sonata in early 2015. This one's better in ride quality, though not great, and the gas mileage is about the same.