2010 Hyundai Elantra Consumer Review: Decent car; serious problems

2010 Hyundai Elantra - Consumer Review

Blue Sedan (2.0L 4-cyl. 5-speed Manual)

Decent car; serious problems
By anonumos on

2010 Hyundai Elantra Blue 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I bought this car used in May 2012.
I paid too much, but that's my fault, not the car's.
It had been throwing an engine warning off-and-on since I bought it, but the dealership mechanic could not find the problem; told me it was fine.

However, with 38k on the odometer, the engine has blown a main seal and is being replaced completely.
It appears to be covered under warranty, but I felt no warning until oil started to leak all over the engine compartment.
Engine still ran smoothly, good power, no problems...just oil everywhere.
And now a replacement engine.

Meanwhile I have a 2013 Elantra loaner with 100 miles on the clock.
2013 is a much better car.

Gas mileage is very good. Not advertised, but those figures are always under perfect conditions and I never expect to get "30mpg" anywhere. Still, I'm running 300+ miles per fill-up, which is better than any other car I've ever driven. The stereo is pretty good for a cheap factory system, and the spare power plug in the console works like a charm without sacrificing the lighter. It has decent pickup, the steering is nimble, and the seats are very comfortable. It also has GREAT heating and A/C.

I do not like the transmission all that much. The "Blue" version has a very low-geared transmission that asks to be shifted at 2.5k rpm. This means you have to shift to 2nd before the clutch is even out at launch (ie. first gear only goes to about 10mph). This makes it a very good cruiser on the highway, but in stop-and-go traffic, I tend to be stuck in between gears more often than not. It just doesn't match the common traffic speed patterns in America.

Are you the author of this review?

Update Your Review