Used 2010 Hyundai Elantra Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2010 Hyundai Elantra Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Elantra model:

Extremely poor service/quality
By passingby2

2010 Hyundai Elantra Sedan GLS 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 4A)

My 2010 Elantra GLS was purchased in May 2011 with 30,000 miles on it. Six months later the transmission had to be replaced and the dealer inserted a refabricated one NOT a new one. Six months later...a front motor mount had to be replaced...and a few months later--a safety recall on a brake part was issued. Now, the car is vibrating again and two independent mechanics have stated, in writing, that a transmission bracket is loose and a motor mount is beginning to crack. After 2 separate trips to the Leesburg Hyundai dealership the mgr stated there is nothing wrong with the car. There are 400 miles left on warranty --then repairs are my responsibility. Staff was rude and non- caring.

None....will never purchase a Hyundai again....

Be responsive and caring toward customers. AND fix the problems....not just shuffle customers around.

a steal
By elantrablueman

2010 Hyundai Elantra Sedan Blue 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Bought a leftover 2010 in Jan 2011 for 12,200, 13,200 otd. Have conv. package and love the xm radio. Now have 57k and the car has been near flawless. Had a minor brake light switch recall. Averaging 30.9 mpg annually. Keep records for taxes. Better mpg on hwy/trips. I change oil every 5k and keep on trucking. Still have original brake pads. Facing some big bills at 60 k: timing belt, trans fluid, probably brakes, too. Could go $1,200. However, with my new Michelins, I could go another 60k.

sat radio upright seating huge trunk quiet ride very low maint. near hybrid mpg

trip computer for mpg easier bluetooth add, doing without timing belts should be obsolete; may not have purchased it if I had known

Average Yet Amazing
By destiny225

2010 Hyundai Elantra Sedan GLS 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 4A)

I currently get an average of 30 mpg that's through town mainly with some highway, but I do drive conservatively. The seating is spacey both in the back and front. The seats are quite large in the front compared to other 2009/2010 cars that I have seen. The sound is amazing. I barely have to turn my radio up unlike multiple other cars I have test driven/driven (forester, grand caravan, corolla, etc.). I also have noticed that the ride can be a little more than just bumpy over potholes, but nothing severe. The acceleration is slow when preparing to enter the highway, but I hear you can fix that by taking the ECO off. I haven't tried to turn the ECO off though.

Not bad, not great
By chris72771

2010 Hyundai Elantra Sedan GLS 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 4A)

The interior is very roomy yet it is very plain and some of it appears bare bones. The car has been reliable but the engine has seemed to run rough since day 1. When I asked the dealer about it I was told it was normal for the new cars to not idle smoothly. (It still makes no sense to me but it is what it is) The car is very fuel efficient but definitely could have had more bells and whistles for the price.

Roomy interior & large trunk. Fuel efficiency.

Steering wheel radio controls would have been nice. The seats could also be a little better quality of material. An engine temperature gauge would be great.

Decent car; serious problems
By anonumos

2010 Hyundai Elantra Sedan Blue 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I bought this car used in May 2012. I paid too much, but that's my fault, not the car's. It had been throwing an engine warning off-and-on since I bought it, but the dealership mechanic could not find the problem; told me it was fine. However, with 38k on the odometer, the engine has blown a main seal and is being replaced completely. It appears to be covered under warranty, but I felt no warning until oil started to leak all over the engine compartment. Engine still ran smoothly, good power, no problems...just oil everywhere. And now a replacement engine. Meanwhile I have a 2013 Elantra loaner with 100 miles on the clock. 2013 is a much better car.

Gas mileage is very good. Not advertised, but those figures are always under perfect conditions and I never expect to get "30mpg" anywhere. Still, I'm running 300+ miles per fill-up, which is better than any other car I've ever driven. The stereo is pretty good for a cheap factory system, and the spare power plug in the console works like a charm without sacrificing the lighter. It has decent pickup, the steering is nimble, and the seats are very comfortable. It also has GREAT heating and A/C.

I do not like the transmission all that much. The "Blue" version has a very low-geared transmission that asks to be shifted at 2.5k rpm. This means you have to shift to 2nd before the clutch is even out at launch (ie. first gear only goes to about 10mph). This makes it a very good cruiser on the highway, but in stop-and-go traffic, I tend to be stuck in between gears more often than not. It just doesn't match the common traffic speed patterns in America.