2010 Hyundai Elantra - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Elantra model:
Extremely poor service/quality
By passingby2 on 03/02/14 13:46 PM (PST)

2010 Hyundai Elantra GLS 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 4A)

My 2010 Elantra GLS was purchased in May 2011 with 30,000 miles on it. Six months later the transmission had to be replaced and the dealer inserted a refabricated one NOT a new one. Six months later...a front motor mount had to be replaced...and a few months later--a safety recall on a brake part was issued. Now, the car is vibrating again and two independent mechanics have stated, in writing, that a transmission bracket is loose and a motor mount is beginning to crack. After 2 separate trips to the Leesburg Hyundai dealership the mgr stated there is nothing wrong with the car. There are 400 miles left on warranty --then repairs are my responsibility. Staff was rude and non- caring.

a steal
By elantrablueman on 01/07/14 18:49 PM (PST)

2010 Hyundai Elantra Blue 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Bought a leftover 2010 in Jan 2011 for 12,200, 13,200 otd. Have conv. package and love the xm radio. Now have 57k and the car has been near flawless. Had a minor brake light switch recall. Averaging 30.9 mpg annually. Keep records for taxes. Better mpg on hwy/trips. I change oil every 5k and keep on trucking. Still have original brake pads. Facing some big bills at 60 k: timing belt, trans fluid, probably brakes, too. Could go $1,200. However, with my new Michelins, I could go another 60k.

Average Yet Amazing
By destiny225 on 07/22/13 19:37 PM (PDT)

2010 Hyundai Elantra GLS 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 4A)

I currently get an average of 30 mpg that's through town mainly with some highway, but I do drive conservatively. The seating is spacey both in the back and front. The seats are quite large in the front compared to other 2009/2010 cars that I have seen. The sound is amazing. I barely have to turn my radio up unlike multiple other cars I have test driven/driven (forester, grand caravan, corolla, etc.). I also have noticed that the ride can be a little more than just bumpy over potholes, but nothing severe. The acceleration is slow when preparing to enter the highway, but I hear you can fix that by taking the ECO off. I haven't tried to turn the ECO off though.

Not bad, not great
By chris72771 on 06/30/13 18:39 PM (PDT)

2010 Hyundai Elantra GLS 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 4A)

The interior is very roomy yet it is very plain and some of it appears bare bones. The car has been reliable but the engine has seemed to run rough since day 1. When I asked the dealer about it I was told it was normal for the new cars to not idle smoothly. (It still makes no sense to me but it is what it is) The car is very fuel efficient but definitely could have had more bells and whistles for the price.

Decent car; serious problems
By anonumos on 03/05/13 05:48 AM (PST)

2010 Hyundai Elantra Blue 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I bought this car used in May 2012. I paid too much, but that's my fault, not the car's. It had been throwing an engine warning off-and-on since I bought it, but the dealership mechanic could not find the problem; told me it was fine. However, with 38k on the odometer, the engine has blown a main seal and is being replaced completely. It appears to be covered under warranty, but I felt no warning until oil started to leak all over the engine compartment. Engine still ran smoothly, good power, no problems...just oil everywhere. And now a replacement engine. Meanwhile I have a 2013 Elantra loaner with 100 miles on the clock. 2013 is a much better car.

terrible ride
By mesa2 on 10/25/12 22:46 PM (PDT)

2010 Hyundai Elantra SE 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 4A)

I just traded in my Toyota Corolla on this Elantra, what a mistake! This is like riding in a bumpy truck, not a fun car to go for a relaxing ride. We feel every single crack in the road. On the freeway, it is not as bad but in city driving it is so miserable, no one likes riding with us anywhere. Not as good of gas mileage as our Corolla either. We have buyers remorse. We would rather stay home than have to drive this around town

2010 hyundai elantra automatic
By jackson55 on 08/08/12 17:59 PM (PDT)

2010 Hyundai Elantra GLS 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 4A)

I've read your review on the 2010 Elantra blue. At first I couldn't understand why it was given positive grades for it's performance and then i realized it was a 5 speed manual transmission. I think a fair amount of elantras are automatic, have you test driven them and i am talking about a 2010, although I believe they used the same power train for any number of years. I can't believe it's such an annoying thing to drive, especially when people go around praising them, i think it must be the warranty they like. I'm not sure how many forward speeds mine is but it doesn't seem like it's enough. In particular what i'm talking about is; The car upshifts to early when you accelerate at a norm

1 year owned review
By screwedinaz on 02/16/12 20:49 PM (PST)

2010 Hyundai Elantra Blue 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

overall its not a bad car with the best feature being with 3.50 gas prices 25 bucks about fills the tank at 3/4 empty. with the 5 speed manual i dont have to wait for transmission to shift if i need to pass some body drop a gear and just go. the seating is a bit stiff to say the least trunk space easily holds to big duffle bags. the car did not come with a radio but that was an easy fix. installing a radio was a breeze too 1 phillips head screwdriver and a pry tool to remove face plate.

2010 Elantra GLS PZEV - 11,000 Miles
By njscorpio on 12/28/11 10:38 AM (PST)

2010 Hyundai Elantra GLS PZEV 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 4A)

First I would like to address two issues mentioned in other reviews. Those with "bouncy" suspension seem to have the SE models. I haven't had those problems with the GLS. Also it was said that there is a delay in acceleration. That is true, but that is due to the ECO mode. There is a slight delay when accelerating from below (aprox) 3,000rpm to above 3,000. It has something to do with keeping your driving at low, gas conserving RPMs. Disable ECO mode (by hitting TRIP till you see ECO ON, then holding TRIP until off) and you will have much smoother acceleration.

Still Smooth and Quiet at 37000
By hyundaidan on 10/25/11 17:33 PM (PDT)

2010 Hyundai Elantra GLS 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 4A)

Bought the 2010 Elantra GLS with 1500 mi as a dealer demo...now have 37000 mi over a year later. No repairs yet just oil changes (Mobil 1) and had the transmission fluid and coolant changed at 30,000 miles. Still have original tires, down to 5/32 of an inch of tread...I recently drove a 2011 Elantra (new body style) and was surprised how much harsher and noisier the ride was than my 2010...must have something to do with the 2011's not having an independent rear suspension.

The Edmunds TCO® estimated monthly insurance payment for a 2010 Hyundai Elantra in VA is:

$131 per month*