2009 Hyundai Elantra Consumer Review: Competent Commuter Except in S

2009 Hyundai Elantra - Consumer Review

GLS Sedan (2.0L 4-cyl. 5-speed Manual)

Competent Commuter Except in Snow
By waldteufel on

2009 Hyundai Elantra GLS 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I bought this car new in July 2009 for my daily commute and to run kids around town for music lessons, sports, you name it. The positive reviews, incredibly low price, and long warranty make this basic piece of transportation ideal for my needs now. MPG varies from 28-33 combined depending on the weather, really expected much better. It took a long time to get adjusted to the clunky, sticky manual transmission; nothing like the Mercedes 230 or VW Golf sticks I used to drive. I tried to find an American brand vehicle of similar cost and quality but nothing came close.

The low, low price and complete lack of mechanical problems is great, but the high torque and quick accelleration with the 5-speed stick provides as much fun as a middle-aged suburban dad can hope for, plus the iPod connection and XM radio keep the kids occupied.

There is already a new Elantra model, but used car buyers in the rust belt should know this thing is terrible in winter weather driving conditions, I don't know if its the weight distribution or the tires but I'm buying real winter tires next year. The cheap-feeling plastic interior scratches easily and the wierd stretchy seat fabric gets and stays dirty looking.