2009 Hyundai Elantra Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Elantra model:
I Love My Hyundai Elantra!
By Cindy on 12/19/09 10:14 AM (PST)

2009 Hyundai Elantra Sedan GLS 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 4A)

I bought my 2009 elantra as a used vehicle. It has turned out to be one of the best cars, and is the most fun to drive of most of the cars I have owned, previously I have owned Mercedes c2330, e500, and s500, navigator ultimate, 3 Chevy trailblazer ext lt's, etc., so I am giving you my opinion after driving quite a few high end cars. I'm wondering now why I spent all that money on those cars, when I could have just bought an elantra... I love the sun roof, XM radio, the fact I can use my ipod, the cd/stereo sounds awesome, and I love the color (White) it is sporty, I get lots of compliments on it and the value is unbelievable along with the gas mileage, about 31 mpg.. The warranty is also great

Beware
By Davo on 12/15/09 19:59 PM (PST)

2009 Hyundai Elantra Sedan GLS 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

When I took the car in to the dealer at 2600 (yes 2600)miles to check an engine noise. I was told the engine was bad and would be replaced. They used a REMANUFACTURED engine short block. I talked to 4 levels of Hyundai consumer affairs and was told this is routine. So a used engine in my brand new car. The warranty isn't worth much if they use used parts.

Wish it had telescopic steering wheel
By Dave on 12/07/09 18:12 PM (PST)

2009 Hyundai Elantra Sedan GLS 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Replaced a 1994 Corolla that i really liked. Purchased mainly by price but positive reviews were also important. Driving comfort and MPGs are important to me. My main complaint is no telescopic steering wheel. Did not notice this during test drive, but in order for arms to be comfortable, I have to put the seat very close (I am short, 5'6"). Hopefully i'll get used to it.

Ride and Road noise!?
By oldboyscout on 12/03/09 11:51 AM (PST)

2009 Hyundai Elantra Sedan SE PZEV 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 4A)

After 3000 miles am very happy with SE Except for Ride (any bump is transmitted to my a..) and Road Noise (sound of tires against asphalt ((no concrete here)) very high on freeways and state/local roads.) Wonder if stock tires on alloy 16 rims to blame? Sidebar: I've been driving 50 years.

All in the family
By raztaz143 on 11/21/09 09:31 AM (PST)

2009 Hyundai Elantra Sedan SE PZEV 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 4A)

Great-fun vehicle to own. My sister owned a 2000 Hyundai Elantra Wagon, which was very impressive and had almost 200,000 miles when she replaced it with a 2007 Hyundai Elantra GLS. I was impressed with both, so I decided to get the 2009 model-with a sunroof, mudguards, heater seats, wheel-locks- had to spoil myself some! It drives great, took it on a few trips, Excellent gas mileage for sure, and a definitely nice vehicle for any lengthy trip!

Did the research...
By Reen on 11/14/09 14:48 PM (PST)

2009 Hyundai Elantra Sedan GLS 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 4A)

We cash for clunkered and got our Elantra for $10000. I'd have been happy with just that great deal, but now throw in reliability, nice gas mileage, solid looks, and fun driveability, and I'm a happy girl. I knew I wanted a reliable, low-cost car to get back and forth to work/school, and that would last for YEARS. After checking all the research, Hyundai was the only manufacturer left standing that fit my criteria, and if anything does go wrong, the unbeatable warranty has me covered. This is the first new car I've purchased since 1991, and only Hyundai managed to convince me the purchase would be worth the investment. So far, so good....

Not Happy with the ride.
By Catherine Curtis on 11/12/09 09:14 AM (PST)

2009 Hyundai Elantra Sedan GLS PZEV 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 4A)

This car vibrates like a lumber wagon and it has Solis tires on it. That could be the problem, but I don't think so. I have had 2 4-wheel alignments on it and the wheels balanced 3 times in 17,000 miles. It is now in for rebalancing again at the price of $100.00, plus diagnostic fees. I had a 2003 Hyundai Elantra and it was a great car. Drove it for 6 years 100,000 with the wheels taken care of 2 times. Fuel economy is not as good as advertised or as good as my 2003.

This car stinks
By Laurie on 11/11/09 07:53 AM (PST)

2009 Hyundai Elantra Sedan GLS 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I purchased this car brand new. I was so excited. It was suppose to get 33mpg on the highway. I only drive highway miles. I am getting 24mpg and the dealer and Hyundai just say they can't find anything wrong with it. They are not doing anything about it but giving me the run around. I will never purchase another Hyundai again!!! Should have bought the Toyota like I was thinking about!

Engine vibration above 2500rpm
By c0mmuter on 11/07/09 06:14 AM (PST)

2009 Hyundai Elantra Sedan GLS 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 4A)

I bought the Elantra back in August 2009, 3600 miles currently. It has performed reliably, no major mechanical problems. Handles well, though the steering is a little stiff. For a small car, it rides well on a variety of surfaces. However, the engine vibration is excessive above 2500RPM in all gears. It is felt in the driver's feet. I took the car to the dealer ship and was assured that this is 'normal' by the service department. I did not run it above 2500RPM during the test drive. The manual says that during the first 600 mile break in to run the engine between 2000-4000rpm. The vibration has reduced a little since August 2009.

Solid vehicle
By Joegiant on 11/07/09 02:40 AM (PST)

2009 Hyundai Elantra Sedan SE 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 4A)

So far, so good. For those shopping for a good, reliable, relatively inexpensive commuter vehicle, this may in fact be the one. You're not buying prestige but rather "bang for the buck". Hyundai truly has packed alot of punch into this car for the pricepoint. Many standard safety features too numerous to list. Comfortable ride. Decent gas mileage (getting about 34 on the hwy after 5,000 miles break-in). Slushbox trans works the way it's supposed to - trouble free. Start 'er up, put 'er in drive and away you go. Trouble free transportation. With Cash for Clunkers program, after all the smoke, paid under $11k for this '09 Elantra SE. Truly remarkable. Give this company a serious look!

The Edmunds TCO® estimated monthly insurance payment for a 2009 Hyundai Elantra Sedan in VA is:

$123 per month*