Used 2009 Hyundai Elantra Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2009 Hyundai Elantra Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Elantra model:

Great little car at an awesome price.
By tshedd

2009 Hyundai Elantra Sedan SE 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

This is our first Elantra. Came down to Focus SES and this. Liked the drive and price of this better. It gets good mileage (about 30 avg). I've driven manuals all my life, but struggled with this clutch a bit, stalling much more than 96 Accord. It does not do well in snow, I siped the tires and it helped a bit. I think it is the tires. I like the tighter steering and well thought out interior. I wish they had made it easier to use iPod. I feel the car at high speeds is working too hard. Noisy at highway speed. Love the reliability and ownership cost of this little car. After Cash for Clunker paid 10,800.

Looks, economy, price, aluminum wheels and 4 wheel disc brakes with ESC. color - nautical blue. XM - radio. Warranty.

iPod hookup, tires that come standard, engine noise at higher speeds.

Not too shabby
By Hyundai Owner 23

2009 Hyundai Elantra Sedan GLS 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Bought the car in Aug. 2009 and have had incredible fuel mileage from the beginning. I am surprised to see people putting numbers below 30 mpg. I haven't gotten anything below 32 mpg. I got 36 my last fill up. I commute 70 miles a day driving around 55 mph most the way. This car is great for that (commuting).

iPod hookup/display, blue interior lighting, spaciousness, roominess, gas mileage.

Quicker acceleration, make a little more sportier looking, smoother shifter.

Solid safe reliable transportation
By Paul

2009 Hyundai Elantra Sedan GLS PZEV 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 4A)

We have owned our 2009 Elantra for about a year and have found it to be a very solid, comfortable, reliable car. The exterior styling and performance are on the boring side but the features for the price paid more than compensate for these shortcomings.

Fog lamps, quiet ride, comfortable seats, big trunk.

Power steering feels very vague (more like an old Lincoln Town Car than a compact sedan)

Winter driving NOT GOOD
By mick

2009 Hyundai Elantra Sedan SE 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 4A)

I love Hyundai. I own 4 (2002, 2003, 2006, 2009)! All have been great. My only complaint is with my latest the 2009 is absolutely terrible on ice and snow. Whatever Hyundai changed for this model makes it extremely dangerous for any winter driving. Please fix this in the future!

all the options

winter driving is dangerous

21,000+ miles in 9 months
By Jeff WV

2009 Hyundai Elantra Sedan SE 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

This is my first Hyundai, and I love the car. It is well built, and gets the advertised mpg. On the trip computer my avg is 31.4 mpg. I mostly drive highway. It handles very well, especially compared to its competitors, I love the stick shift, tight shifter, short throws. Very roomy, even for four adults. Low road noise, but the back window creaks when I go over odd bumps, like pulling out of a steep driveway. Otherwise no problems, and would definitely recommend. I will buy from Hyundai again, and would recommend the same to anyone. Did great in the snow for a low sitting car with low profile tires.

Looks, ride, build quality, blue interior lights, value, that it's not a Civic or an Accord (it's better looking to me), comfort, handling/suspension, built-in XM, iPod/Aux ports, great visibility all directions for driver.

NEEDS a sixth gear, this would raise hwy mpg by at least 5 mpg, it runs hard at hwy speeds-3000 rpm; interior fabric has held up well, but feels flimsy; door interior plastic scratches VERY easily; iPod port works, but provides no functionality.