2009 Hyundai Elantra Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Elantra model:
wouldnt recommend to anyone
By Anonymous on 12/08/10 00:00 AM (PST)

2009 Hyundai Elantra Sedan GLS 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 4A)

very unhappy with the car, haven't even had it 2 years yet and I'm having problems, luckily nothing with the engine, it all seems to be electrical or interior problems except for the awful noise that my back window makes when I go over bumps, it makes this loud cracking noise like the window is going to fall out. Also you can tell the interior is cheap plastic because while driving all I hear is rattling, like something is loose in the dash. I will be getting rid of the car ASAP. Also had a brand new 2008 Accent before this car and had engine problems and brought it back within 8 months of purchase.

Are we all driving the same car?
By GrampaL on 11/09/10 00:00 AM (PST)

2009 Hyundai Elantra Sedan SE 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 4A)

I swear some of the reviews are on different vehicles. My carpet fits, radio works, the engine runs well, the car handles well, and it's relatively quiet at all speeds, gets 34 mpg on Xway (28-29 in town) as advertised. I have had no problems whatever with only routine maintenance. The OEM tires aren't great in snow, but here's a tip folks - it's the tires.. not the car. I had this problem in spades on a Maxima years ago. Buy some others if you ain't happy. You'd be amazed at the difference tires can make. Not sure what people expect, but this car meets or beats the competition at a lower price. It's comfortable, roomy and comes with a superior warranty. What more can you expect?

Good Car
By Daniel on 10/31/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

2009 Hyundai Elantra Sedan GLS 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I enjoy my car. It is a commuter car and is well suited to its purpose. I get 33 mpg average and keep the oil changed. I have had no problems with it other than the vanilla nature of it. I knew of its commuter purpose when I bought it though so I'm not surprised. The ride quality is soft and smooth, it does well wet weather but I have no information on snow. The brakes are outstanding, only complaint I have is the engine noise above 3000 rpm is a little intrusive. Overall I have had a positive experience and I hope to drive this car into the ground for the next ten years.

Exactly As Advertised
By ODU Dad on 10/24/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

2009 Hyundai Elantra Sedan SE 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 4A)

My daughter has been looking for a car for a while and I decided to assist her. After looking at various options (mainly through other reviewers such as here), I started focusing on the Elantra. Because I am concerned for my daughter's safety, I decided to focus on the SE model, which also has traction control and stability control. The next step was to find one that was economical but had relatively few miles on it. I found a used 2009 SE with about 9k miles on it and bought it for 13k. After using it for about a month, we are very pleased with the car. It is exactly as advertised: a well built car with many important safety features that doesn't cost an absurd amount of money.

Value?
By lucyd on 08/11/10 17:55 PM (PDT)

2009 Hyundai Elantra Sedan GLS 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 4A)

Bought this car new last year. Performance and ride so poor we wanted to trade it off after one long miserable year. Car rides rough and loud, poor mileage and issues with the locks and electrical problems. Value is less than 1/2 what we paid after one year. We have taken excellent care and maintenance. I would NOT recommend this product to anyone. I have made contact with the dealership but little response to issues. "if the car engine light is not on it's ok". I don't think so. Value, there is NOT any in this car.

Great little car at an awesome price.
By tshedd on 07/20/10 12:20 PM (PDT)

2009 Hyundai Elantra Sedan SE 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

This is our first Elantra. Came down to Focus SES and this. Liked the drive and price of this better. It gets good mileage (about 30 avg). I've driven manuals all my life, but struggled with this clutch a bit, stalling much more than 96 Accord. It does not do well in snow, I siped the tires and it helped a bit. I think it is the tires. I like the tighter steering and well thought out interior. I wish they had made it easier to use iPod. I feel the car at high speeds is working too hard. Noisy at highway speed. Love the reliability and ownership cost of this little car. After Cash for Clunker paid 10,800.

Not too shabby
By Hyundai Owner 23 on 07/14/10 18:35 PM (PDT)

2009 Hyundai Elantra Sedan GLS 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Bought the car in Aug. 2009 and have had incredible fuel mileage from the beginning. I am surprised to see people putting numbers below 30 mpg. I haven't gotten anything below 32 mpg. I got 36 my last fill up. I commute 70 miles a day driving around 55 mph most the way. This car is great for that (commuting).

Solid safe reliable transportation
By Paul on 07/08/10 23:23 PM (PDT)

2009 Hyundai Elantra Sedan GLS PZEV 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 4A)

We have owned our 2009 Elantra for about a year and have found it to be a very solid, comfortable, reliable car. The exterior styling and performance are on the boring side but the features for the price paid more than compensate for these shortcomings.

Winter driving NOT GOOD
By mick on 07/01/10 07:23 AM (PDT)

2009 Hyundai Elantra Sedan SE 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 4A)

I love Hyundai. I own 4 (2002, 2003, 2006, 2009)! All have been great. My only complaint is with my latest the 2009 is absolutely terrible on ice and snow. Whatever Hyundai changed for this model makes it extremely dangerous for any winter driving. Please fix this in the future!

21,000+ miles in 9 months
By Jeff WV on 06/09/10 09:57 AM (PDT)

2009 Hyundai Elantra Sedan SE 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

This is my first Hyundai, and I love the car. It is well built, and gets the advertised mpg. On the trip computer my avg is 31.4 mpg. I mostly drive highway. It handles very well, especially compared to its competitors, I love the stick shift, tight shifter, short throws. Very roomy, even for four adults. Low road noise, but the back window creaks when I go over odd bumps, like pulling out of a steep driveway. Otherwise no problems, and would definitely recommend. I will buy from Hyundai again, and would recommend the same to anyone. Did great in the snow for a low sitting car with low profile tires.

The Edmunds TCO® estimated monthly insurance payment for a 2009 Hyundai Elantra Sedan in VA is:

$122 per month*