2009 Hyundai Elantra Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Elantra model:
Great car after 3+ years
By sreston on 04/15/12 09:14 AM (PDT)

2009 Hyundai Elantra Sedan GLS 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 4A)

I bought this new for under $15k, and am delighted with the features, low cost of ownership, and overall quality of the car. I love the problem-free driving, nicely peppy engine, comfort and interior space (I am 6'5"). The car still looks new inside and out. I have had a few small issues as follows: *Driver's seat makes a clicking sound in the lowest position *Rear window sometimes made a crackling/popping sound when going over laterally uneven ground, but this went away last year after I put some product on the weatherstripping *Driver's side window made a popping sound when rolled down--it was sticking to the stripping. Silicon lube fixed it Otherwise the car has required zero repairs.

I replaced a Saab with this and I won't be looking back
By captainbrown on 03/31/12 14:55 PM (PDT)

2009 Hyundai Elantra Sedan GLS 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 4A)

I needed something cheap, practical, and reliable and I got it. This car has two dominant personalities. The first is a sensible car for the average adult. Gas economy is on par with 2009, the ride quality is exceptionally smooth for a compact, and the cabin is quiet and spacious in town and on the freeway. However, under the surface the 2009 Elantra is one of the funnest rides you can get for an MSRP under $20,000. I would compare it to a go cart. It's nimble, quick, and firmly planted. Unlike the 2011 Elantra, the steering is connected, responsive, and no matter how you drive it, she wants more. Give it an honest test drive, because you have to drive it to experience it.

So so car, don't expect much
By superedmundsf on 01/24/12 20:47 PM (PST)

2009 Hyundai Elantra Sedan SE 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 4A)

The only reason I've gotten this vehicle is because my wife trashed our 2007 Toyota Camry SE-V6. Can't afford the same level of car so we settled on Hyundai Elantra, 09, brand new at the time. Now, fast forward 70K miles and here are my reviews: The transmission starts to rattle a bit now as shifting up can be adventurous at times. Keep in mind I take care of my religiously so it's not a matter of not maintaining it. Electrical problems starting to surface. TPMS will show up for no reason. Overall drive is stoic but comfy. Performance is ok (typically for a small sedan, don't expect much.) You get what you pay for, don't be fool by the marketing, adequate car but Civic it isn't.

LOVE my car
By shivelyk on 11/21/11 05:31 AM (PST)

2009 Hyundai Elantra Sedan SE 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 4A)

This makes the 2nd Elantra I have owned, & don't think I would own any other vehicle. Mine has 72,000 miles on it & other than replacing both fog lights (due to driving in snow & on salted roadways), I haven't touched it for anything other than tires, brakes, air filter, & the other routine maintenance that is suggested in the manual. I get EXCELLENT gas mileage--with a combo of city & hwy miles I get at least 32 mpg with every tank. It drives smooth, & it fires right up in cold weather. Roomy interior, lots of nooks & crannys for storage, & an awesome factory stereo system are just some of the plusses on the inside. I would recommend this car to anyone who needs a good car for less $$$

2009 Elantra
By johnyuhaschek on 07/06/11 12:06 PM (PDT)

2009 Hyundai Elantra Sedan GLS 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 4A)

Fun Car to Drive, Smooth Ride, Comfortable Seats, Spacious for a small car, Great Sound System

Great car just no power at all
By mr_nevotti on 06/25/11 06:51 AM (PDT)

2009 Hyundai Elantra Sedan GLS 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 4A)

I love the car gas is great just has no power like when i go to Tahoe i really have to get all the way in the slow lane and go like 50MPH in the slow lane it's horrible.......

General electrical system problems.
By hardrock46 on 06/12/11 08:32 AM (PDT)

2009 Hyundai Elantra Sedan GLS 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 4A)

We have owned 2 Hyunda's previously and were very pleased with with both cars. Excelent reliability and performance. Then we bought this 2009 elantra (brand new) and have been very disappointed. While the car always starts fine, runs great and gets great gas mileage it is plagued with bull crap electrical problems. 1. Check engine light keeps coming on. Had it in for this several times. Dealer can't or won't fix it. 2. Tire pressure light kept coming on. They seemed to fix that, so far. 3. The theft alarm keeps randomly coming on. Just did it again this morning. Multiple trips to dealer, no fix. 4. Winshield washer quit. Tank full, pump runs, no water. Will take it back in again.

Know what you are getting.
By skolakowski1 on 06/08/11 11:27 AM (PDT)

2009 Hyundai Elantra Sedan SE PZEV 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 4A)

The AC is inadequate. On 95 degree days, it is still warm in the car. This is a common problem for Hyundai. I had to have the windows tinted to help. I was in a head on accident and the air bags didn't go off. Another common problem for Hyundai. I'm waiting for a recall announcement. The idiot lights come on sporadically (ESC,ABS,TPMS). The longest one has stayed on was over an hour. I don't know if the ABS and ESC are working. Another common problem for Hyundai. The car has over 50K miles on it and we have not had any problems with it not running or starting. We get about 25 miles to the gallon but do mostly city driving.

2009 Hyundai Elantra Review
By md2011 on 05/19/11 08:56 AM (PDT)

2009 Hyundai Elantra Sedan GLS 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 4A)

2nd hyundai! Been highly impressed by both cars! Had for 2 years just traded it in for the new 2011 elantra ltd. Been a pleasure to drive and own! Very impressed with the gas mileage. Best mpg at 39.7 mpg based on filling up the car and doing the math on a calculator this was in NYC traffic 90%hwy and 10%city. Average mpg I receive when i do about 50/50 driving was 28 mpg still pretty impressive since I am not light footed. Pros: Performance, MPG, Price, Radio, USB, Blue Lights, tons of features, interior space, many storage comp'ts, quiet interior, Cons: Whine from radio (most wont hear), loud rattle from rear window hitting large bumps Best bang for the buck!

Competent Commuter Except in Snow
By waldteufel on 02/15/11 06:59 AM (PST)

2009 Hyundai Elantra Sedan GLS 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I bought this car new in July 2009 for my daily commute and to run kids around town for music lessons, sports, you name it. The positive reviews, incredibly low price, and long warranty make this basic piece of transportation ideal for my needs now. MPG varies from 28-33 combined depending on the weather, really expected much better. It took a long time to get adjusted to the clunky, sticky manual transmission; nothing like the Mercedes 230 or VW Golf sticks I used to drive. I tried to find an American brand vehicle of similar cost and quality but nothing came close.

The Edmunds TCO® estimated monthly insurance payment for a 2009 Hyundai Elantra Sedan in NJ is:

$211 per month*