Used 2009 Hyundai Elantra Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2009 Hyundai Elantra - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Elantra model:

Great car after 3+ years
By sreston

2009 Hyundai Elantra GLS 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 4A)

I bought this new for under $15k, and am delighted with the features, low cost of ownership, and overall quality of the car. I love the problem-free driving, nicely peppy engine, comfort and interior space (I am 6'5"). The car still looks new inside and out. I have had a few small issues as follows: *Driver's seat makes a clicking sound in the lowest position *Rear window sometimes made a crackling/popping sound when going over laterally uneven ground, but this went away last year after I put some product on the weatherstripping *Driver's side window made a popping sound when rolled down--it was sticking to the stripping. Silicon lube fixed it Otherwise the car has required zero repairs.

Very cheap to run. No repairs, oil changes at independent mechanics, basic stuff like filter changes I DIY for almost no $--they are incredibly easy on this car, as are other things like lightbulb changes from what I've read.

I replaced a Saab with this and I won't be looking back
By captainbrown

2009 Hyundai Elantra GLS 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 4A)

I needed something cheap, practical, and reliable and I got it. This car has two dominant personalities. The first is a sensible car for the average adult. Gas economy is on par with 2009, the ride quality is exceptionally smooth for a compact, and the cabin is quiet and spacious in town and on the freeway. However, under the surface the 2009 Elantra is one of the funnest rides you can get for an MSRP under $20,000. I would compare it to a go cart. It's nimble, quick, and firmly planted. Unlike the 2011 Elantra, the steering is connected, responsive, and no matter how you drive it, she wants more. Give it an honest test drive, because you have to drive it to experience it.

Dependability, ride quality, minimal body roll, steering refinement, stability, cabin space, audio system

Obviously, the body has been redesigned in 2011, however, the rear passenger comfort has taken a hit over this redesign. I have hopes that the Elantra GT model will address this issue.

So so car, don't expect much
By superedmundsf

2009 Hyundai Elantra SE 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 4A)

The only reason I've gotten this vehicle is because my wife trashed our 2007 Toyota Camry SE-V6. Can't afford the same level of car so we settled on Hyundai Elantra, 09, brand new at the time. Now, fast forward 70K miles and here are my reviews: The transmission starts to rattle a bit now as shifting up can be adventurous at times. Keep in mind I take care of my religiously so it's not a matter of not maintaining it. Electrical problems starting to surface. TPMS will show up for no reason. Overall drive is stoic but comfy. Performance is ok (typically for a small sedan, don't expect much.) You get what you pay for, don't be fool by the marketing, adequate car but Civic it isn't.

Blue-tooth, Ipod connector

Better interior comfort. Fix the transmission and TPMS issues (seems to be common to many people.)

LOVE my car
By shivelyk

2009 Hyundai Elantra SE 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 4A)

This makes the 2nd Elantra I have owned, & don't think I would own any other vehicle. Mine has 72,000 miles on it & other than replacing both fog lights (due to driving in snow & on salted roadways), I haven't touched it for anything other than tires, brakes, air filter, & the other routine maintenance that is suggested in the manual. I get EXCELLENT gas mileage--with a combo of city & hwy miles I get at least 32 mpg with every tank. It drives smooth, & it fires right up in cold weather. Roomy interior, lots of nooks & crannys for storage, & an awesome factory stereo system are just some of the plusses on the inside. I would recommend this car to anyone who needs a good car for less $$$

GREAT gas mileage. Stereo. Huge trunk. Roomy interior. Lots of safety features.

If you get hit with a shopping cart, look out. Leaves a good sized dent. I would like to see some of the outside areas (such as the rear quarter panels) a little more resistant to collisions such as shopping carts, etc.

2009 Elantra
By johnyuhaschek

2009 Hyundai Elantra GLS 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 4A)

Fun Car to Drive, Smooth Ride, Comfortable Seats, Spacious for a small car, Great Sound System

Gas mileage, Green/Yellow Sparkle Paint, Tire Wear, Simple DIY Maintenance, Great Long-Lasting Brakes

I'm looking forward to the new 6-speed Automatic Elantra.