Used 2008 Hyundai Elantra Sedan Consumer Reviews - 194 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2008 Hyundai Elantra Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Elantra model:

Danger
By John D.

2008 Hyundai Elantra Sedan GLS 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 4A)

Be careful if You own one. My daughter drove 50 mph. into a guardrail head on and the airbags did not deploy. Thank God She wasn't hurt badly. Hyundai was not concerned with the problem. I will never buy another.

Good on gas

Look into safety problems

Poor resale value/ costly servicing
By unhappy

2008 Hyundai Elantra Sedan SE 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

The is car is fun to drive and comfortable for long distance driving. It has plenty of pep. Unfortunately, I have learned too late (as in before I bought it), that its at least $500 to service every 30K (almost 70K at 60K servicing since you have to shell out extra money for platinum spark plugs). I put on >25K per year so I am hitting these milestones quickly. I had it appraised and after 2 years and 60K miles, it is work only 1/3 of what I paid for it and it will only go down from there. Even more expensive cars cost less to service. I nthe long run, not worth the investment.

Peppiness, room, decent mileage (although not the 35 mpg they advertised back then. They have since adjusted that claim)

Lower the cost of maintenance. Comparable servicing elsewhere is cheaper.

I love my car!
By KA Seattle

2008 Hyundai Elantra Sedan GLS 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 4A)

I was so hesitant to purchase a Hyundai after owning a 1998 Honda Civic for 11 years. I absolutely love Hondas, period. However, I read all the reviews and did my homework and felt prepared to buy this little gem. I now find it now laughable that Honda and Toyota insist on charging a horrendous amount extra for AC, a sunroof, automatic trans., power steering, cruise control, IPOD compatibility, etc. A $12,000 2008 Civic gets you "maybe" 2 of the above items (read the fine print people!)I only paid about $12,100, 10Kmi, and got all of the above features and this car gets about 32 MPG with a warranty that knocks Honda out of the park. I may just be a Hyundai fan now for life. We'll see!

Fuel economy, handling on road, body style, roomy, large trunk. Honda and Toyota are going to have some "tooth and nail" competition in the forthcoming years, undoubtedly.

As others mentioned, a little loud when there is a need to accelerate quickly. Also a few times CDs get stuck in my factory stereo, but manage to come out a few days later. Going to get this looked at soon. Otherwise, no issues thus far.

So far so good
By charmeming

2008 Hyundai Elantra Sedan SE 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 4A)

I bought this car almost 2 years ago. It has about 28,000 miles on it. As others have mentioned, I have experienced some instances of the trunk popping open seemingly on its own. I think that it may be because there is a button on the remote which possibly gets pushed, but can't be sure. Additionally, the ESC sometimes shuts off on its own especially when its rainy. I live in Columbus, OH where it ices rather than snows and the ESC did kick in a few times, works well when it's on and kept me from sliding into the curb once. I think that the interior is much nicer than other cars in the same price category. The trunk is roomy; it handles nicely; and is quiet compared to other cars.

Blue lights on dashboard; electronic stability control (ESC); dashboard & eyeglass cubbyholes; 100,000 warranty; backseat cup holders

Trunk fix so that it doesn't unlatch on its own (maybe Hyundai will get the message and give us all new latches); Faster acceleration would be nice

1 year 100,000 mile warranty
By GERALD PARRY

2008 Hyundai Elantra Sedan GLS 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 4A)

I bought a 2008 Hyundai elantra a couple years ago. I thought the car was great at first and paid an extra couple grand for the 10 year warranty and even spent the extra for lo jack and sealant to protect my cars finish for 5 years. That right there doesn't say much for Hyundai interior or exterior if they are only giving a 5 year warranty. They would not cover suntan lotion eating through my paint because it was on my bumper. My transmission fluid turned brown after just 13k. That's normal they said. My battery has a dead cell after just 17k (26 months) this was not covered even though it is not a wear and rear item. Who ever heard of a 1 year warranty on a batter especially for a new car?

Driving 50 miles to the dealer expecting them to honor their warranty only to get the runaround and finding out I was scammed into paying extra for a worthless warranty.

It would be nice if they didn't put the cheapest parts ever made in their cars (example battery, the car is useless unless it starts) honor your warranties. It's not my fault you built the car so cheap. I doubt my car will last 5 years if I didn't make all the extra repairs to it.