Used 2008 Hyundai Elantra Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2008 Hyundai Elantra - Consumer Reviews

2008 Hyundai Elantra Sedan

View reviews for a specific Elantra model:

1 year 100,000 mile warranty
By GERALD PARRY

2008 Hyundai Elantra Sedan GLS 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 4A)

I bought a 2008 Hyundai elantra a couple years ago. I thought the car was great at first and paid an extra couple grand for the 10 year warranty and even spent the extra for lo jack and sealant to protect my cars finish for 5 years. That right there doesn't say much for Hyundai interior or exterior if they are only giving a 5 year warranty. They would not cover suntan lotion eating through my paint because it was on my bumper. My transmission fluid turned brown after just 13k. That's normal they said. My battery has a dead cell after just 17k (26 months) this was not covered even though it is not a wear and rear item. Who ever heard of a 1 year warranty on a batter especially for a new car?

Favorite Features

Driving 50 miles to the dealer expecting them to honor their warranty only to get the runaround and finding out I was scammed into paying extra for a worthless warranty.

Suggested Improvements

It would be nice if they didn't put the cheapest parts ever made in their cars (example battery, the car is useless unless it starts) honor your warranties. It's not my fault you built the car so cheap. I doubt my car will last 5 years if I didn't make all the extra repairs to it.

Unimpressive, uncomfortable, unkeepable
By Cindy

2008 Hyundai Elantra Sedan GLS 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 4A)

Bought this Hyundai when gas prices were very high and reviews sounded good.Best mileage we got was 31 mpg for highway and around 27 mpg overall. The water leaks into trunk upon opening it after rain, the hood pops open by itself and the leg room in back is minimal and overall the seats are cheap and uncomfortable. I couldn't even sit in them after I had a back problem and had to use our 2000 Honda Accord instead. Trading this in for a 2007 Accord, which is a bigger car that gets the same mileage, has nicer upholstery and will get me somewhere without hurting my back and providing my back seat passengers with lots of leg room.

Favorite Features

Blue light panel.

Suggested Improvements

Better quality seats and upholstery, (even console needs more padding) more leg room, better hood lock and tires.

fabric of cloth seats are awlfull
By Danny McCuiston

2008 Hyundai Elantra Sedan GLS 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 4A)

We just bought the car, we like the dealership every one there was helpful,now for the only bad thing about the car that we've found is the fabric on the seats, if you drop one drop of clear clean water on the seats it looks like a big dirty stain. We took it back for them to get the spots out 80% came out and we are afraid to try anymore cleaning,we cover the seats and arm rest with towels and that is embarrassing. If you have children the seats would be ruined with in a week. I hope Hyundai will improve the inside quality,if they do I will probably buy another one next year from the same dealer. A newer one but for now we will just be ashamed of the seats.

Favorite Features

Gas mileage is great,ride and drive is good we hear no motor noise.The car has plenty of power but we do hear tire noise.The car is pretty and so far we like it.

Suggested Improvements

Please improve the quality of the fabric on the cloth seats and plastic in the car.

Best car for the money
By Best car in catagory

2008 Hyundai Elantra Sedan GLS 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 4A)

Bought the car a week a go drove it about 1000 miles and it does not drive like a compact car it's more like a full size ride, getting around 37mph mixed city/hwy .Tested several cars and it beat the others out so we bought it.this 4cyl is quiet even at 80 mph and plenty fast enough on take off,car is roomy smooth ride what else could you ask for. Review,s are about right except for the ones selling other brands trying to ho do you.

Favorite Features

Too many to mention, quiet, fast, easy ride best radio I've seen in a long time, holds the road great, sun roof, tilt wheel, elect Windows and door locks, key less entry, and don't look like something from outer space with a dreadful hatch back .

Suggested Improvements

SEATS TOO LIGHT SHOWS STAINS TOO MUCH.great CAR AND I would buy again.This is not a hot rod kids car but I would recommend it to any body looking for a pretty car & a good car .

Not so into this car
By zygereyez

2008 Hyundai Elantra Sedan GLS 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I have had this car for a year now. When I bought this car it had 50 miles on it. I don't really like it much though. To me it's noisy when I drive. The alignment screwed up a few months after owning it. The dealership gave me crap when I took it in for the warranty to get my car fixed. My door handle on the outside of the car sticks and makes the door stay open. It sucks in the snow. The beak system sucks. I lightly touch them in the snow. I don't feel safe with the breaking system. It takes me 3 times to get it in reverse cuz it sticks. There's a few more things wrong with it and it only has close to 28k miles on it.

Favorite Features

The gas milage isn't bad.

Suggested Improvements

Driving in snow is a major thing to imporve. Maybe make it a little quieter while driving.