2008 Hyundai Elantra Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Elantra model:
Best car for the money
By Best car in catagory on 03/13/10 21:43 PM (PST)

2008 Hyundai Elantra Sedan GLS 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 4A)

Bought the car a week a go drove it about 1000 miles and it does not drive like a compact car it's more like a full size ride, getting around 37mph mixed city/hwy .Tested several cars and it beat the others out so we bought it.this 4cyl is quiet even at 80 mph and plenty fast enough on take off,car is roomy smooth ride what else could you ask for. Review,s are about right except for the ones selling other brands trying to ho do you.

Not so into this car
By zygereyez on 03/04/10 19:08 PM (PST)

2008 Hyundai Elantra Sedan GLS 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I have had this car for a year now. When I bought this car it had 50 miles on it. I don't really like it much though. To me it's noisy when I drive. The alignment screwed up a few months after owning it. The dealership gave me crap when I took it in for the warranty to get my car fixed. My door handle on the outside of the car sticks and makes the door stay open. It sucks in the snow. The beak system sucks. I lightly touch them in the snow. I don't feel safe with the breaking system. It takes me 3 times to get it in reverse cuz it sticks. There's a few more things wrong with it and it only has close to 28k miles on it.

Love it
By Kristen on 02/28/10 14:36 PM (PST)

2008 Hyundai Elantra Sedan GLS 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 4A)

There are so many things about my Elantra that I love. Even after a year of owning it every time I get in it to drive I'm so excited about owning it. I've never been so happy with a car, but like some others have mentioned it handles very poorly in snowy conditions which is not good living in Wisconsin. I did a lot of research before I bought this car and never came across anything about that problem. Also as some have mentioned the trunk does tend to pop open without me realizing it. Other than that I do love it and would recommend it to anyone.

Gets the job done.
By Macnewbee on 02/25/10 18:40 PM (PST)

2008 Hyundai Elantra Sedan SE 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I don't think I would ever say to anyone, "Oh yeah, I love my car." Having said that the car itself, for what it is, is great. I paid 13,500 for it. I've driven it 32,000 miles since I bought it 9 months ago. I'd say 30K miles were spent on I-95 to and from work at 80 miles an hour. The car does what it needs to do everyday- starts and stops. There has been hesitation in the engine on more than one occasion. Something to expect out of a car with 100K on the engine, not a brand new car. I asked the maintenance people about this and they said that should be expected out of a Hyundai. The car came with features that would cost 30K on any other car. For the cost, the value is great.

Great Car!
By Jess on 01/30/10 23:38 PM (PST)

2008 Hyundai Elantra Sedan GLS 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 4A)

I bought this car last October, as my 2001 Ford Focus was nearing 120,000 miles. As a commuter student,I needed a new car that was reliable.. I researched a million other cars and finally fell in love with this one.

Outstanding Small Car
By Thomas on 12/26/09 03:27 AM (PST)

2008 Hyundai Elantra Sedan GLS PZEV 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 4A)

Purchased for $12,000 used with 12,000 miles on it, and I love this car. Well worth every penny its quiet, stable, and solid. Handling is neutral and predictable, steering is effortless, and the brakes are very strong. I looked at a few of the "top" cars in this class before pulling the trigger on this car, and none could match it. The ride is good, interior comfortable and pleasing to the eye, and it handles better then expected. Good stereo, excellent ergonomics, classy looking exterior. Its an impressive small car in its class. I've shown it to friends and family and they all think "wow nice little car!" Especially from those who expect junk from Hyundai. This car is far from junk.

Nice car, but has flaws
By Ahabgjb on 12/23/09 17:13 PM (PST)

2008 Hyundai Elantra Sedan SE 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 4A)

When I bought this car, I found very few flaws in it to start out with. I enjoyed the great MPG that the car had, as well as the good design and comfort. However, as time went on, I soon found myself to be an enemy with one thing: the trunk. If you do make the decision to buy this car, NEVER open it on a rainy day, at the risk of waterlogging everything inside your trunk. The design of the trunk pushes all the water on top of the trunk straight down into your carpeted trunk, making it incredibly difficult to deal with. Not only that, but it frequently unlatches itself, making it a safety hazard if you leave valuables in your trunk. Overall I'd say good buy, just be weary of the risks.

Solid, Quality Car
By LWade on 12/04/09 09:28 AM (PST)

2008 Hyundai Elantra Sedan GLS 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 4A)

I bought the Elantra after my Chrysler Sebring coupe was flooded and died. This is my first new car and I love it. I've only had one problem involving a slow leak in a tire caused by a nail, which the dealership replaced for free (even though it was not their problem). I drive about 32 miles round-trip for my daily commute in Boston traffic, and my gas mileage still averages 30-34 mpg. It took a while to get used to the V4 engine, but it really moves great once you get up to speed. Unlike my Sebring, I can now have people sit in my backseat of my Elantra. As with any major purchase, research the seller and the product before you buy and there should be no issues.

Not aging gracefully
By ecodrive on 12/03/09 12:40 PM (PST)

2008 Hyundai Elantra Sedan GLS 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 4A)

I bought this Elantra due to excellent reviews and perceived quality. You certainly get a lot of car for the money. Unfortunately my post purchase experience has been somewhat disappointing. Interior materials are cheap and are showing premature wear. Upholstery is especially poor. One recall on fuel pump. LR window track fell off, oil leak. Engine is very noisy when pushed and has a very dated design...still has a timing belt to be replaced. Decent drive but you do indeed get what you pay for...

Been a good car
By dncarac on 10/29/09 11:25 AM (PDT)

2008 Hyundai Elantra Sedan SE 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 4A)

I bought it about a year ago. It's been good since then. The gas mileage started low, but it's between 31 and 32 now for about a 12 mile commute weekdays. There's plenty of room inside and lots of places to put bottles of liquid (it gets hot and dry here). I find the car quiet, which is different from others - I have no explanation why, I just do. The automatic transmission shifts smoothly and the car holds the road well at speed (65-70 mph). Some people don't like the serpentine shift pattern, but it took me less than a week to get used to it.

The Edmunds TCO® estimated monthly insurance payment for a 2008 Hyundai Elantra Sedan in NJ is:

$182 per month*