Used 2008 Hyundai Elantra Sedan Consumer Reviews - 193 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2008 Hyundai Elantra Sedan - Consumer Reviews

2008 Hyundai Elantra Sedan

View reviews for a specific Elantra model:

About as good as it gets
By wiccanferret

2008 Hyundai Elantra Sedan GLS 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

We've had this car since it was new and it now has 52k miles on it.
Despite what other reviewers have said, you won't find a car that has lower maintenance costs.
So far, the only things I've had to worry about, as per the owner's manual, were oil changes and an air filter.
That's it.
Oh, and the battery went out after 4 years, which is better than your average stock battery, especially considering the Texas heat this year.
This car couldn't be cheaper to run, period.
The gas mileage is decent (35 mpg) and the power and handling are phenomenal for this class of car.

Excellent power. Ridiculously cheap to maintain. Spark plugs every 60k and timing belt every 90k is nearly unheard of in a compact. Excellent stereo for stock. Very accurate cruise control. Perfect ergonomics. Seats still very comfortable after 52k miles. Best rear seat room in its class, was the main reason I purchased it. It has more back seat hip room than most mid-size cars, even though it's a compact.

Hyundai already did it...they made it better looking. Unfortunately, the newer Elantra also has a peakier four cylinder engine, which does not appeal to me. Considering the maintenance costs and dead solid reliability, I'll be keeping my 08 indefinitely.

Time to trade in
By sweed2

2008 Hyundai Elantra Sedan SE 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 4A)

I bought the Elantra new in 08'. The windshield wipers were never connected. I found this out on the highway in a torrential downpour with no breakdown lane. A couple of weeks later I got a flat took it to Pep Boys and they asked when I had patched the tire? I never did I thought it was new. Recall after recall. Cd player stopped functioning, window was slowly going down, and we kept having the problem. We just received the airbag recall notice. I decided to trade it for a Volvo S60 with the premium package. I totally broke even with everything! The mileage (very low), price, and a good trade-in value. Now I have a safe luxury car that is awesome!

No any.

Make the car heavier, safer, and a better engine or an option for a better one.

2.5 years owned, so far so good
By trunkmonkey

2008 Hyundai Elantra Sedan SE 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 4A)

1st new car, bought July '08, after end of model year. MN driver, 38k+ ODO now. Good car, growly @35-45 MPH. Sluggish & rough when started in -10 to +5 degrees, until warm. Factory tires, got stuck in own driveway in 5 inches snow! Now new Coopers, we'll see. W/o ESC car would be bad in MN winter, with it pretty good. Handles fine in rain. Summer 36hwy/29city, winter 29hwy/24 city, better than my old Buick but still. Good ergonomics interior-have chronic back issues & no problem on long drives. Smooth ride at cruise speed, no trunk popping - mystified by that complaint. Spilled drinks, no electrical short-but not big spills. Trunk poor drainage on opening. Good cargo space seats down.

Love the tilt/telescoping steering column, heated & remote rearview mirrors, lighted vanity mirrors for BOTH front seats, MP3 jack, ESC, ABS, steering wheel radio and cruise controls, alloy wheels, fog lights, ALL STANDARD on SE! I like the much maligned cloth seats because they are warmer than leather in winter. Before buying I saw spotting complaints so I bought a couple cans of Scotchguard right away, and intend to re-spray this summer again. I've spilled spaghetti sauce on the seats and cleaned them with my Bisell and they're fine. No outside temp gauge is a big bummer, but they brought that back on 2011s.

Fix that trunk drainage channel, when the lid is fully open water drops right into the wheel well areas! Agree with door complaints, it is hard to keep them open in middle range. Newer models have MP3 jack in armrest compartment which is great, wish they had thought of that in '08. I have a black interior and don't find the leather steering wheel cover to help at all in the summer, w/o sunshield I bought, can burn my hands on sizzling steering wheel. A/C underpowered, takes a LONG time to cool off the passenger compartment, probably typical of 4 CYL though, so what can you do?

bad product design
By jlemon1

2008 Hyundai Elantra Sedan GLS 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 4A)

Three things that bother me enough to write a review about them: 1. The doors only prop open at these widths w/o slamming closed on you: open so far it would slam into the car parked next to you, and open just enough that you could slide a piece of paper through- good luck trying to get you bags of groceries out of the car w/o the door repeatedly slamming into you
2. Extremely poor visibility out of the back angled windows- I just have to back up, and change lanes really slowly and pray no one crashes in to me 3. When the steering wheel locks, you don't just give it a little jiggle until it comes loose- you have to jerk it violently until you break your ribcage and it still won't budge.

Price and exterior design.

Design the interior to be attractive to people other than 12 year old boys who want to pretend they are in a make-believe cockpit flying a fighter jet. Allow for the headrests to be pushed back a little- if you sit up straight in the seats they force your neck into a hunched position. I don't know what kind of deal Hyundai has worked up with the National Association of Chiropractors, but I will be paying a visit to one soon.

I love this car!
By David

2008 Hyundai Elantra Sedan GLS 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 4A)

An incredible car, period. A real bargain for this kind of $'s. Excellent comfort in front seat, good in back for 2 adults. Interior has best ergonomics of any car. Reach for a cup holder, the wipers, cruise control, etc., everything is exactly where you expect. Reliability is awesome, 0 defects, 0 problems. Car is so quiet seems the engine is off, all you hear is the awesome radio. Engine runs beautifully, smooth as silk. Suspension smooths out the potholes great. Stable ride, acceleration, and steering. It's easy to get up to 80 MPH without noticing, the suspension/steering is so steady & the engine so smooth. My MPG is less than advertised; 24 MPG suburban mixed, 29-31 on open highway.

Driving home, pretty blue dash lights, everything works 100%. This car is one of those things that make you feel good about the world. Enjoy it!

Better MPG (maybe a 5 or 6 speed automatic would get there?)