Used 2008 Hyundai Elantra Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2008 Hyundai Elantra - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Elantra model:

bad product design
By jlemon1

2008 Hyundai Elantra Sedan GLS 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 4A)

Three things that bother me enough to write a review about them: 1. The doors only prop open at these widths w/o slamming closed on you: open so far it would slam into the car parked next to you, and open just enough that you could slide a piece of paper through- good luck trying to get you bags of groceries out of the car w/o the door repeatedly slamming into you 2. Extremely poor visibility out of the back angled windows- I just have to back up, and change lanes really slowly and pray no one crashes in to me 3. When the steering wheel locks, you don't just give it a little jiggle until it comes loose- you have to jerk it violently until you break your ribcage and it still won't budge.

Favorite Features

Price and exterior design.

Suggested Improvements

Design the interior to be attractive to people other than 12 year old boys who want to pretend they are in a make-believe cockpit flying a fighter jet. Allow for the headrests to be pushed back a little- if you sit up straight in the seats they force your neck into a hunched position. I don't know what kind of deal Hyundai has worked up with the National Association of Chiropractors, but I will be paying a visit to one soon.

I love this car!
By David

2008 Hyundai Elantra Sedan GLS 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 4A)

An incredible car, period. A real bargain for this kind of $'s. Excellent comfort in front seat, good in back for 2 adults. Interior has best ergonomics of any car. Reach for a cup holder, the wipers, cruise control, etc., everything is exactly where you expect. Reliability is awesome, 0 defects, 0 problems. Car is so quiet seems the engine is off, all you hear is the awesome radio. Engine runs beautifully, smooth as silk. Suspension smooths out the potholes great. Stable ride, acceleration, and steering. It's easy to get up to 80 MPH without noticing, the suspension/steering is so steady & the engine so smooth. My MPG is less than advertised; 24 MPG suburban mixed, 29-31 on open highway.

Favorite Features

Driving home, pretty blue dash lights, everything works 100%. This car is one of those things that make you feel good about the world. Enjoy it!

Suggested Improvements

Better MPG (maybe a 5 or 6 speed automatic would get there?)

Dependable car!
By Jonathan

2008 Hyundai Elantra Sedan GLS 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 4A)

I have owned my car for the last two years now and I have been very pleased with the reliability of the car. The car presently sits @ 24k miles and the only complaints I can think of that come to mind are : For the year in which this car was built, I wish it did better then 27 mpg avg. The other issues are as follows : - Stains are easily visible from simple things such sweat or water spills or water from your coat jacket in which you might wear out in the rain and get into your car with. - CD Player always says LOADING when there is no disc in it and therefore I can't tell what station I am tuning into on the radio. - Trunk seems to come unlatched mysteriously often while parked.

Favorite Features

Tire Pressure Indicator, blue interior lights, ABS, numerous airbags, and no pole antennas.

Suggested Improvements

The mysterious trunk unlatching issue needs to be fixed, and the car needs to get better gas mileage, and make the interior more resistant to staining.

Love it
By Livlife

2008 Hyundai Elantra Sedan GLS 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 4A)

I have owned my Elantra for over 2 years now and still love it! I am a big guy who drives a lot for work, however I fit well into the Elantra. My kids call it "lightning" and I like the gas mileage. I did change the cheap tires quickly, and also put new brakes/rotors on at 55k. Other than that, I have had zero issues.

Favorite Features

I really like the fuel economy and the stereo.

Suggested Improvements

More padding in the seat.

We love this car.
By Matt

2008 Hyundai Elantra Sedan SE 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 4A)

My wife and I couldn't be happier with our car. You really can't find a better car without spending a lot more money. We get excellent fuel economy (mid 30's everyday, 40+ on back-road road trips), without a bulky hybrid battery and without compromising safety, comfort or performance. The FWD provides great traction; we had a brutal winter last year and only got stuck once, when we got high-centered in several feet of snow. The interior is well thought-out, with plenty of cubbyholes and cup/bottle holders - great for road trips. MP3 CD and aux input are nice features. We haven't babied this car, but with regular maintenance it still runs and drives like new. Haven't had a single problem yet.

Favorite Features

Fuel economy, design, comfort, handling, interior layout, reliability, performance in mud/snow, MP3 CD player

Suggested Improvements

Cheap OEM tires, unrefined engine noise, buzzing/rattling in interior