Used 2008 Hyundai Elantra Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2008 Hyundai Elantra Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Elantra model:

Great Car
By iraqwarvet

2008 Hyundai Elantra Sedan GLS 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 4A)

I bought my Elantra with 82,000 miles on it. It is still very solid, no rattles and drives great. And, the gas mileage! Oh so sweet! You could not ask for a better car!

Good Car
By dhet

2008 Hyundai Elantra Sedan GLS 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 4A)

I purchased my 2008 Elantra GLS new. It now has over 62,000 miles on it. It has been a very good car for the money. I love mine. I plan on giving it to my grandson in a few years when he starts driving. Then I will buy a new one. But first the few cons: I would like just a bit better fuel economy. And the 30,000 and 60,000 mile service costs seemed to me a bit on the high side. I wish the trunk lid would pop just a little so that I could nudge it up with my hip when my hands are full. As it is, it is necessary for me to empty at least one arm to get the lid up. I can’t think of any more cons. -- I have not found engine noise on aggressive accelerations anything to complain about—it is there, but it’s not a big deal to me. I seldom accelerate hard. Now this is what I like most: The car has great road manners. It feels tight and solid even after 60,000 miles. Road noise is not excessive. The steering is perfect. The breaks are sure and smooth. Acceleration is good. Instruments are easy to read. Controls are easy to reach. In the cold the car heats up and clears the windshield quickly—unlike so many cars, it is the driver’s side that clears the fastest. A few other points: I have been driving cars for over 50 years and always apply good driving techniques: The original tires lasted 50,000 miles. The original breaks lasted 45,000 miles. I get the oil and filter changed every 3000 miles. I religiously follow the maintenance schedule to the letter. I have my tires rotated and balanced ever 5000 miles: I have never experienced a mechanical breakdown or anything in need of urgent car with this car. Of the many cars I have owned, this is the first one I can say this about.

About as good as it gets
By wiccanferret

2008 Hyundai Elantra Sedan GLS 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

We've had this car since it was new and it now has 52k miles on it. Despite what other reviewers have said, you won't find a car that has lower maintenance costs. So far, the only things I've had to worry about, as per the owner's manual, were oil changes and an air filter. That's it. Oh, and the battery went out after 4 years, which is better than your average stock battery, especially considering the Texas heat this year. This car couldn't be cheaper to run, period. The gas mileage is decent (35 mpg) and the power and handling are phenomenal for this class of car.

Excellent power. Ridiculously cheap to maintain. Spark plugs every 60k and timing belt every 90k is nearly unheard of in a compact. Excellent stereo for stock. Very accurate cruise control. Perfect ergonomics. Seats still very comfortable after 52k miles. Best rear seat room in its class, was the main reason I purchased it. It has more back seat hip room than most mid-size cars, even though it's a compact.

Hyundai already did it...they made it better looking. Unfortunately, the newer Elantra also has a peakier four cylinder engine, which does not appeal to me. Considering the maintenance costs and dead solid reliability, I'll be keeping my 08 indefinitely.

Time to trade in
By sweed2

2008 Hyundai Elantra Sedan SE 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 4A)

I bought the Elantra new in 08'. The windshield wipers were never connected. I found this out on the highway in a torrential downpour with no breakdown lane. A couple of weeks later I got a flat took it to Pep Boys and they asked when I had patched the tire? I never did I thought it was new. Recall after recall. Cd player stopped functioning, window was slowly going down, and we kept having the problem. We just received the airbag recall notice. I decided to trade it for a Volvo S60 with the premium package. I totally broke even with everything! The mileage (very low), price, and a good trade-in value. Now I have a safe luxury car that is awesome!

No any.

Make the car heavier, safer, and a better engine or an option for a better one.

2.5 years owned, so far so good
By trunkmonkey

2008 Hyundai Elantra Sedan SE 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 4A)

1st new car, bought July '08, after end of model year. MN driver, 38k+ ODO now. Good car, growly @35-45 MPH. Sluggish & rough when started in -10 to +5 degrees, until warm. Factory tires, got stuck in own driveway in 5 inches snow! Now new Coopers, we'll see. W/o ESC car would be bad in MN winter, with it pretty good. Handles fine in rain. Summer 36hwy/29city, winter 29hwy/24 city, better than my old Buick but still. Good ergonomics interior-have chronic back issues & no problem on long drives. Smooth ride at cruise speed, no trunk popping - mystified by that complaint. Spilled drinks, no electrical short-but not big spills. Trunk poor drainage on opening. Good cargo space seats down.

Love the tilt/telescoping steering column, heated & remote rearview mirrors, lighted vanity mirrors for BOTH front seats, MP3 jack, ESC, ABS, steering wheel radio and cruise controls, alloy wheels, fog lights, ALL STANDARD on SE! I like the much maligned cloth seats because they are warmer than leather in winter. Before buying I saw spotting complaints so I bought a couple cans of Scotchguard right away, and intend to re-spray this summer again. I've spilled spaghetti sauce on the seats and cleaned them with my Bisell and they're fine. No outside temp gauge is a big bummer, but they brought that back on 2011s.

Fix that trunk drainage channel, when the lid is fully open water drops right into the wheel well areas! Agree with door complaints, it is hard to keep them open in middle range. Newer models have MP3 jack in armrest compartment which is great, wish they had thought of that in '08. I have a black interior and don't find the leather steering wheel cover to help at all in the summer, w/o sunshield I bought, can burn my hands on sizzling steering wheel. A/C underpowered, takes a LONG time to cool off the passenger compartment, probably typical of 4 CYL though, so what can you do?