2008 Hyundai Elantra Sedan Consumer Reviews 2

2008 Hyundai Elantra Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Elantra model:
bad product design
By jlemon1 on 01/24/11 18:46 PM (PST)

2008 Hyundai Elantra Sedan GLS 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 4A)

Three things that bother me enough to write a review about them: 1. The doors only prop open at these widths w/o slamming closed on you: open so far it would slam into the car parked next to you, and open just enough that you could slide a piece of paper through- good luck trying to get you bags of groceries out of the car w/o the door repeatedly slamming into you 2. Extremely poor visibility out of the back angled windows- I just have to back up, and change lanes really slowly and pray no one crashes in to me 3. When the steering wheel locks, you don't just give it a little jiggle until it comes loose- you have to jerk it violently until you break your ribcage and it still won't budge.

I love this car!
By David on 11/09/10 00:00 AM (PST)

2008 Hyundai Elantra Sedan GLS 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 4A)

An incredible car, period. A real bargain for this kind of $'s. Excellent comfort in front seat, good in back for 2 adults. Interior has best ergonomics of any car. Reach for a cup holder, the wipers, cruise control, etc., everything is exactly where you expect. Reliability is awesome, 0 defects, 0 problems. Car is so quiet seems the engine is off, all you hear is the awesome radio. Engine runs beautifully, smooth as silk. Suspension smooths out the potholes great. Stable ride, acceleration, and steering. It's easy to get up to 80 MPH without noticing, the suspension/steering is so steady & the engine so smooth. My MPG is less than advertised; 24 MPG suburban mixed, 29-31 on open highway.

Dependable car!
By Jonathan on 11/03/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

2008 Hyundai Elantra Sedan GLS 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 4A)

I have owned my car for the last two years now and I have been very pleased with the reliability of the car. The car presently sits @ 24k miles and the only complaints I can think of that come to mind are : For the year in which this car was built, I wish it did better then 27 mpg avg. The other issues are as follows : - Stains are easily visible from simple things such sweat or water spills or water from your coat jacket in which you might wear out in the rain and get into your car with. - CD Player always says LOADING when there is no disc in it and therefore I can't tell what station I am tuning into on the radio. - Trunk seems to come unlatched mysteriously often while parked.

Love it
By Livlife on 10/29/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

2008 Hyundai Elantra Sedan GLS 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 4A)

I have owned my Elantra for over 2 years now and still love it! I am a big guy who drives a lot for work, however I fit well into the Elantra. My kids call it "lightning" and I like the gas mileage. I did change the cheap tires quickly, and also put new brakes/rotors on at 55k. Other than that, I have had zero issues.

We love this car.
By Matt on 10/11/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

2008 Hyundai Elantra Sedan SE 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 4A)

My wife and I couldn't be happier with our car. You really can't find a better car without spending a lot more money. We get excellent fuel economy (mid 30's everyday, 40+ on back-road road trips), without a bulky hybrid battery and without compromising safety, comfort or performance. The FWD provides great traction; we had a brutal winter last year and only got stuck once, when we got high-centered in several feet of snow. The interior is well thought-out, with plenty of cubbyholes and cup/bottle holders - great for road trips. MP3 CD and aux input are nice features. We haven't babied this car, but with regular maintenance it still runs and drives like new. Haven't had a single problem yet.

Don't spill your drinks!
By sls78 on 08/31/10 10:19 AM (PDT)

2008 Hyundai Elantra Sedan SE 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 4A)

I'm sure most of us have been there, accidents happen. So I had a drink of soda spill in my center console where you place your cups. This ended up being a very expensive accident, $1200 and some change. The liquid from my drink went through the cup holder and fried the main "nerve" of the electrical system according to the service department. So needless to say since I spilled the soda the bumper to bumper warranty didn't cover it. At this time I'm not going to have it fixed trading it in and Hyundai has lost a customer. Why would they put the electrical under the cup holders especially if the holder won't prevent liquid from damaging the wiring.

Danger
By John D. on 08/17/10 17:08 PM (PDT)

2008 Hyundai Elantra Sedan GLS 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 4A)

Be careful if You own one. My daughter drove 50 mph. into a guardrail head on and the airbags did not deploy. Thank God She wasn't hurt badly. Hyundai was not concerned with the problem. I will never buy another.

Poor resale value/ costly servicing
By unhappy on 08/07/10 14:51 PM (PDT)

2008 Hyundai Elantra Sedan SE 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

The is car is fun to drive and comfortable for long distance driving. It has plenty of pep. Unfortunately, I have learned too late (as in before I bought it), that its at least $500 to service every 30K (almost 70K at 60K servicing since you have to shell out extra money for platinum spark plugs). I put on >25K per year so I am hitting these milestones quickly. I had it appraised and after 2 years and 60K miles, it is work only 1/3 of what I paid for it and it will only go down from there. Even more expensive cars cost less to service. I nthe long run, not worth the investment.

I love my car!
By KA Seattle on 08/06/10 20:38 PM (PDT)

2008 Hyundai Elantra Sedan GLS 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 4A)

I was so hesitant to purchase a Hyundai after owning a 1998 Honda Civic for 11 years. I absolutely love Hondas, period. However, I read all the reviews and did my homework and felt prepared to buy this little gem. I now find it now laughable that Honda and Toyota insist on charging a horrendous amount extra for AC, a sunroof, automatic trans., power steering, cruise control, IPOD compatibility, etc. A $12,000 2008 Civic gets you "maybe" 2 of the above items (read the fine print people!)I only paid about $12,100, 10Kmi, and got all of the above features and this car gets about 32 MPG with a warranty that knocks Honda out of the park. I may just be a Hyundai fan now for life. We'll see!

So far so good
By charmeming on 07/21/10 17:01 PM (PDT)

2008 Hyundai Elantra Sedan SE 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 4A)

I bought this car almost 2 years ago. It has about 28,000 miles on it. As others have mentioned, I have experienced some instances of the trunk popping open seemingly on its own. I think that it may be because there is a button on the remote which possibly gets pushed, but can't be sure. Additionally, the ESC sometimes shuts off on its own especially when its rainy. I live in Columbus, OH where it ices rather than snows and the ESC did kick in a few times, works well when it's on and kept me from sliding into the curb once. I think that the interior is much nicer than other cars in the same price category. The trunk is roomy; it handles nicely; and is quiet compared to other cars.