Used 2008 Hyundai Elantra Sedan Consumer Reviews - 193 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2008 Hyundai Elantra Sedan - Consumer Reviews

2008 Hyundai Elantra Sedan

View reviews for a specific Elantra model:

Has been a great car, bought used with 35k miles
By ksh1981

2008 Hyundai Elantra Sedan GLS PZEV 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 4A)

This car is a well-built machine. Solid, fun to drive, reliable, modest (well, very modest on gas), A/C and heat are great.
I bought the car used from a dealership in 2011, with 35,000 miles. My jeep completely had died and I was desperate. But since then, (it is now May 2014).. no problems. None. I've driven long-distance, I commute to work Mon-Fri, and also worked weekends carrying people and 100s of pounds of equipment up to 2 hours away. In all weather, the car did great. This past winter, the battery finally went. 2 degrees F will do that to a battery! Took the car to Sears Auto..new battery...back to normal!
If you think you are "settling" for a Hyundai...think again. Test drive one.

Gas efficient, peppy, smooth, nice-looking, roomy (back-seat too), seats in front are comfy, sturdy, big trunk, cloth seats are pretty stain-resistant, handles well in all weather (snow included)car is reliable and just a good car overall

Another reviewer was right about the doors slamming..but you get used to it. Pick-up (acceleration) is not the best, but I drive in NJ, and the car keeps up with traffic flow. Trunk drainage in rain isn't too pleasant. I also suggest more people learn how to drive in snow. The FWD will handle the snow, but may get overwhelmed in a LOT of accumulation.

Some Issues
By ocd4deals

2008 Hyundai Elantra Sedan GLS 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 4A)

I bought my Elantra brand new.
Since owning it we have replaced each headlight at least twice and each foglight twice.
We had to replace the first headlight on day 2 of owning the car.
We had the dealer replace it whie it was under warranty but after 36k miles we were on our own.
This was the most frustrating until we had issues with the brakes locking up the rear driver side tire.
Upon doing a brake job we found that the brake bracket wasn't up to factory specs so when installing brake pads. the pads had to be filed down.
With the seizing of the tire we have had to replace the hub assemly, bracket, and caliper. But other than these 2 issues the car has run great and we are at 78k.

Dashboard lights are cool at night. Very comfortable seating, Roomy and spacious back seats. Great gas mileage when brake isn't dragging my back tire.

Headlights, fog lights, and brake manufacturing. My front brakes are good but the rear were not built properly. The design of the headlight assembly could have been better because we are going through headlights like crazy... no matter if they come from a dealer or after market.

GREAT CAR OVERALL
By happy1989

I
elantra back in 2008 it now has 136000 on it iv only put one set of tires and breaks and one senser in it other then that just oil changes the car dose have a little bit of road noise but is solid i have to say i trade my chevy in for this car and im happy i did i will be keeping this car till it hits 300000 miles witch will be at my rate in 2 more years

6 speed auto

Great Car
By iraqwarvet

2008 Hyundai Elantra Sedan GLS 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 4A)

I bought my Elantra with 82,000 miles on it.
It is still very solid, no rattles and drives great.
And, the gas mileage!
Oh so sweet!
You could not ask for a better car!

Good Car
By dhet

2008 Hyundai Elantra Sedan GLS 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 4A)

I purchased my 2008 Elantra GLS new.
It now has over 62,000 miles on it.
It has been a very good car for the money.

I love mine.
I plan on giving it to my grandson in a few years when he starts driving.
Then I will buy a new one.
But first the few cons: I would like just a bit better fuel economy.
And the 30,000 and 60,000 mile service costs seemed to me a bit on the high side.

I wish the trunk lid would pop just a little so that I could nudge it up with my hip when my hands are full.
As it is, it is necessary for me to empty at least one arm to get the lid up.
I can’t think of any more cons.
-- I have not found engine noise on aggressive accelerations anything to complain about—it is there, but it’s not a big deal to me.
I seldom accelerate hard.
Now this is what I like most:
The car has great road manners.
It feels tight and solid even after 60,000 miles.
Road noise is not excessive.
The steering is perfect.
The breaks are sure and smooth.
Acceleration is good.
Instruments are easy to read.
Controls are easy to reach.
In the cold the car heats up and clears the windshield quickly—unlike so many cars, it is the driver’s side that clears the fastest.

A few other points:
I have been driving cars for over 50 years and always apply good driving techniques:
The original tires lasted 50,000 miles.
The original breaks lasted 45,000 miles.
I get the oil and filter changed every 3000 miles.
I religiously follow the maintenance schedule to the letter.
I have my tires rotated and balanced ever 5000 miles:
I have never experienced a mechanical breakdown or anything in need of urgent car with this car.
Of the many cars I have owned, this is the first one I can say this about.