Used 2008 Hyundai Elantra Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2008 Hyundai Elantra - Consumer Reviews

2008 Hyundai Elantra Sedan

View reviews for a specific Elantra model:

Excellent workhorse for the price
By 4356pats

2008 Hyundai Elantra Sedan SE 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 4A)

I've had this car since 2008, and have put it to the test. It has 112,000 miles on it, including a 6-day drive from the east coast to the west coast, back to Denver, and back to the west coast. Never driven a car that is this reliable. It's not fast, it's not flashy, but it goes and keeps going. It has literally never left me on the side of the road except once, for a punctured tire. Practical, perfect for a young person, perfect for a small family. It's likable, it has character, and it's surprisingly comfortable and sharp.

Suggested Improvements

The body work could be more solid.

My Elantra is a great car
By billbond

2008 Hyundai Elantra Sedan GLS PZEV 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 4A)

I bought my 2008 Hyundai Elantra brand new. I have never had a more dependable car. I have never had a tune up and I now have 145K miles on it and it runs great. Just got back from a 10 hour (each way) vacation trip and we had no issues.

Has been a great car, bought used with 35k miles
By ksh1981

2008 Hyundai Elantra Sedan GLS PZEV 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 4A)

This car is a well-built machine. Solid, fun to drive, reliable, modest (well, very modest on gas), A/C and heat are great. I bought the car used from a dealership in 2011, with 35,000 miles. My jeep completely had died and I was desperate. But since then, (it is now May 2014).. no problems. None. I've driven long-distance, I commute to work Mon-Fri, and also worked weekends carrying people and 100s of pounds of equipment up to 2 hours away. In all weather, the car did great. This past winter, the battery finally went. 2 degrees F will do that to a battery! Took the car to Sears Auto..new battery...back to normal! If you think you are "settling" for a Hyundai...think again. Test drive one.

Favorite Features

Gas efficient, peppy, smooth, nice-looking, roomy (back-seat too), seats in front are comfy, sturdy, big trunk, cloth seats are pretty stain-resistant, handles well in all weather (snow included)car is reliable and just a good car overall

Suggested Improvements

Another reviewer was right about the doors slamming..but you get used to it. Pick-up (acceleration) is not the best, but I drive in NJ, and the car keeps up with traffic flow. Trunk drainage in rain isn't too pleasant. I also suggest more people learn how to drive in snow. The FWD will handle the snow, but may get overwhelmed in a LOT of accumulation.

Some Issues
By ocd4deals

2008 Hyundai Elantra Sedan GLS 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 4A)

I bought my Elantra brand new. Since owning it we have replaced each headlight at least twice and each foglight twice. We had to replace the first headlight on day 2 of owning the car. We had the dealer replace it whie it was under warranty but after 36k miles we were on our own. This was the most frustrating until we had issues with the brakes locking up the rear driver side tire. Upon doing a brake job we found that the brake bracket wasn't up to factory specs so when installing brake pads. the pads had to be filed down. With the seizing of the tire we have had to replace the hub assemly, bracket, and caliper. But other than these 2 issues the car has run great and we are at 78k.

Favorite Features

Dashboard lights are cool at night. Very comfortable seating, Roomy and spacious back seats. Great gas mileage when brake isn't dragging my back tire.

Suggested Improvements

Headlights, fog lights, and brake manufacturing. My front brakes are good but the rear were not built properly. The design of the headlight assembly could have been better because we are going through headlights like crazy... no matter if they come from a dealer or after market.

GREAT CAR OVERALL
By happy1989

2008 Hyundai Elantra Sedan GLS 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 4A)

I elantra back in 2008 it now has 136000 on it iv only put one set of tires and breaks and one senser in it other then that just oil changes the car dose have a little bit of road noise but is solid i have to say i trade my chevy in for this car and im happy i did i will be keeping this car till it hits 300000 miles witch will be at my rate in 2 more years

Suggested Improvements

6 speed auto