Used 2008 Hyundai Elantra GLS PZEV Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2008 Hyundai Elantra - Consumer Reviews

2008 Hyundai Elantra

View reviews for a specific Elantra model:

My Elantra is a great car
By billbond

2008 Hyundai Elantra GLS PZEV 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 4A)

I bought my 2008 Hyundai Elantra brand new. I have never had a more dependable car. I have never had a tune up and I now have 145K miles on it and it runs great. Just got back from a 10 hour (each way) vacation trip and we had no issues.

Has been a great car, bought used with 35k miles
By ksh1981

2008 Hyundai Elantra GLS PZEV 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 4A)

This car is a well-built machine. Solid, fun to drive, reliable, modest (well, very modest on gas), A/C and heat are great. I bought the car used from a dealership in 2011, with 35,000 miles. My jeep completely had died and I was desperate. But since then, (it is now May 2014).. no problems. None. I've driven long-distance, I commute to work Mon-Fri, and also worked weekends carrying people and 100s of pounds of equipment up to 2 hours away. In all weather, the car did great. This past winter, the battery finally went. 2 degrees F will do that to a battery! Took the car to Sears Auto..new battery...back to normal! If you think you are "settling" for a Hyundai...think again. Test drive one.

Favorite Features

Gas efficient, peppy, smooth, nice-looking, roomy (back-seat too), seats in front are comfy, sturdy, big trunk, cloth seats are pretty stain-resistant, handles well in all weather (snow included)car is reliable and just a good car overall

Suggested Improvements

Another reviewer was right about the doors slamming..but you get used to it. Pick-up (acceleration) is not the best, but I drive in NJ, and the car keeps up with traffic flow. Trunk drainage in rain isn't too pleasant. I also suggest more people learn how to drive in snow. The FWD will handle the snow, but may get overwhelmed in a LOT of accumulation.

Outstanding Small Car
By Thomas

2008 Hyundai Elantra GLS PZEV 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 4A)

Purchased for $12,000 used with 12,000 miles on it, and I love this car. Well worth every penny its quiet, stable, and solid. Handling is neutral and predictable, steering is effortless, and the brakes are very strong. I looked at a few of the "top" cars in this class before pulling the trigger on this car, and none could match it. The ride is good, interior comfortable and pleasing to the eye, and it handles better then expected. Good stereo, excellent ergonomics, classy looking exterior. Its an impressive small car in its class. I've shown it to friends and family and they all think "wow nice little car!" Especially from those who expect junk from Hyundai. This car is far from junk.

Favorite Features

Interior space, control layout, remote keyless entry, power mirrors with defrost, cool blue interior lighting, XM radio, LOTS of storage bins and cubbys inside, big trunk, strong brakes, simple and stylish good looks. Oh, and outstanding mpg.

Suggested Improvements

The engine is too loud under even modest acceleration. I understand this class of car and don't expect perfection, but this area can be improved. Just quiet the noise coming from the engine compartment a bit, and the car would be near perfect in its segment.

GREAT DEAL
By Hyundai Lover

2008 Hyundai Elantra GLS PZEV 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 4A)

I've been through alot with this car, it took its bumps and bruises. It stood STRONG! Aside from plastics on the cheaper side, you get so much for what you pay for. Plus, i got a STEAL on it, don't overlook the Elantra! BEAST CAR!

Favorite Features

Great Mileage, Accessories

Suggested Improvements

More Durable Plastics

I am just shocked
By Bridgeport Buddha

2008 Hyundai Elantra GLS PZEV 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 4A)

Truly amazing how much car you get for the dollar. Pzero, fuel economy, fun to drive and less of an economy feel than expected. Hyundai certainly has come a long way. Thank goodness the hybrids at the time were too in demand and their dealers were so high and mighty. We started to look most fuel efficient and then cost efficient and ended up at a Hyundai dealer. After checking consumer comments here, the price and the test drive, there was nothing left but to do the smart thing and buy. The sparkles in the paint help it look clean even when it's not - bonus for the lazy owner.

Favorite Features

Fuel economy, low cost - the 2 big factors in us buying this car to begin with. Safety features and ratings are great.

Suggested Improvements

I'm of the opinion no seat can be too comfortable, definitely wouldn't mind some softer seats with more angles of positioning. Redesigning the key fob so I don't keep opening the trunk with the fob in my pocket.