Used 2008 Hyundai Elantra GLS Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2008 Hyundai Elantra - Consumer Reviews

2008 Hyundai Elantra

View reviews for a specific Elantra model:

About as good as it gets
By wiccanferret

2008 Hyundai Elantra GLS 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

We've had this car since it was new and it now has 52k miles on it. Despite what other reviewers have said, you won't find a car that has lower maintenance costs. So far, the only things I've had to worry about, as per the owner's manual, were oil changes and an air filter. That's it. Oh, and the battery went out after 4 years, which is better than your average stock battery, especially considering the Texas heat this year. This car couldn't be cheaper to run, period. The gas mileage is decent (35 mpg) and the power and handling are phenomenal for this class of car.

Favorite Features

Excellent power. Ridiculously cheap to maintain. Spark plugs every 60k and timing belt every 90k is nearly unheard of in a compact. Excellent stereo for stock. Very accurate cruise control. Perfect ergonomics. Seats still very comfortable after 52k miles. Best rear seat room in its class, was the main reason I purchased it. It has more back seat hip room than most mid-size cars, even though it's a compact.

Suggested Improvements

Hyundai already did it...they made it better looking. Unfortunately, the newer Elantra also has a peakier four cylinder engine, which does not appeal to me. Considering the maintenance costs and dead solid reliability, I'll be keeping my 08 indefinitely.

Not so into this car
By zygereyez

2008 Hyundai Elantra GLS 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I have had this car for a year now. When I bought this car it had 50 miles on it. I don't really like it much though. To me it's noisy when I drive. The alignment screwed up a few months after owning it. The dealership gave me crap when I took it in for the warranty to get my car fixed. My door handle on the outside of the car sticks and makes the door stay open. It sucks in the snow. The beak system sucks. I lightly touch them in the snow. I don't feel safe with the breaking system. It takes me 3 times to get it in reverse cuz it sticks. There's a few more things wrong with it and it only has close to 28k miles on it.

Favorite Features

The gas milage isn't bad.

Suggested Improvements

Driving in snow is a major thing to imporve. Maybe make it a little quieter while driving.

Leaky car
By Tim

2008 Hyundai Elantra GLS 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

This car has had a water leak since new and has been to the dealership 7 times for it. After going to a body shop, it was determined that the seam sealer was falling out all over the bottom of the car. Hyundai refuses to replace the now mold smelling, rusting in the trunk, car and closed my case knowing that I will loose too much money if I lemon Law and probably not pursue this.I will never buy another Hyundai and will discourage as many as possible, as I have never in 20 years of new cars seen such poor customer service , and shoddy practices by a manufacturer and a dealership. Buyer beware.

Favorite Features

gas mileage

Suggested Improvements

Qualify your dealerships to ensure competent trustworthy people are selling your product, and review your customer service and satisfaction policies, as you have none at this point.

Follow up to 8/10 review
By Dave

2008 Hyundai Elantra GLS 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

This is a followup, I have had the car for 4 months and am very pleased with it. I have been getting anywhere from 35 - 38 mph in mixed driving. The brakes are excellent, the a/c cools the car down quickly and the heater warms it up just as quick. Again, I do not know why anyone would buy a Civic after owning this car. It is bigger, base models come with more, is much quicker, and costs anywhere from 2k to 4k less.

Favorite Features

I like the radio/cd player a lot as it has good quality sound that comes from it, the ipod outlet, plenty of cup holders and storage, good sized trunk.

Suggested Improvements

Hyundai saved money by putting Hankook tires on the vehicle, not a good quality tire. Perhaps one more ac outlet, shifting it to reverse is challenging. It does not always lock into reverse which is a problem. Lumbar support would be nice also

First time foreign, 8k mi in and good!
By fatjake

2008 Hyundai Elantra GLS 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Purchased an 2008 Elantra GLS with a 5 speed and the popular equip package for low $15k in July 2008. So far I LOVE it. Before this I was a strict 80s GM boat guy. This car is much quicker than I would have expected, and my MPG has been between 29-36mpg per tank. I am very happy, and I can't stress how much fun the car is to drive. The interior is more roomy than you would think from the outside and the back seat is more than sufficient. All around, I am very impressed with the quality of design in this car. I feel that Hyundai may be entering the realm that Toyota and Honda entered in the early 90's. Give it another few years and these cars will have the reputation they deserve!

Favorite Features

Acceleration, gearbox, seats are pretty good. Radio is good. Interior is roomy and trunk as well. Braking is good. Lets not forget the outstanding warranty and roadside assistance. Those would cost you much more in all other car companies.

Suggested Improvements

Windows fog too easy. For whatever reason I always accidentally release my trunk on the keyfob and realize it on the road. Engine noise above 70mph. Paint needs to fold over onto the bottom of the hood more, there is a small place where you can see primer barely at the edge. C'mon now, don't be cheap