2008 Hyundai Elantra - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Elantra model:
About as good as it gets
By wiccanferret on 11/07/11 15:20 PM (PST)

2008 Hyundai Elantra GLS 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

We've had this car since it was new and it now has 52k miles on it. Despite what other reviewers have said, you won't find a car that has lower maintenance costs. So far, the only things I've had to worry about, as per the owner's manual, were oil changes and an air filter. That's it. Oh, and the battery went out after 4 years, which is better than your average stock battery, especially considering the Texas heat this year. This car couldn't be cheaper to run, period. The gas mileage is decent (35 mpg) and the power and handling are phenomenal for this class of car.

Not so into this car
By zygereyez on 03/04/10 19:08 PM (PST)

2008 Hyundai Elantra GLS 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I have had this car for a year now. When I bought this car it had 50 miles on it. I don't really like it much though. To me it's noisy when I drive. The alignment screwed up a few months after owning it. The dealership gave me crap when I took it in for the warranty to get my car fixed. My door handle on the outside of the car sticks and makes the door stay open. It sucks in the snow. The beak system sucks. I lightly touch them in the snow. I don't feel safe with the breaking system. It takes me 3 times to get it in reverse cuz it sticks. There's a few more things wrong with it and it only has close to 28k miles on it.

Leaky car
By Tim on 10/27/09 08:04 AM (PDT)

2008 Hyundai Elantra GLS 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

This car has had a water leak since new and has been to the dealership 7 times for it. After going to a body shop, it was determined that the seam sealer was falling out all over the bottom of the car. Hyundai refuses to replace the now mold smelling, rusting in the trunk, car and closed my case knowing that I will loose too much money if I lemon Law and probably not pursue this.I will never buy another Hyundai and will discourage as many as possible, as I have never in 20 years of new cars seen such poor customer service , and shoddy practices by a manufacturer and a dealership. Buyer beware.

Follow up to 8/10 review
By Dave on 12/20/08 22:02 PM (PST)

2008 Hyundai Elantra GLS 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

This is a followup, I have had the car for 4 months and am very pleased with it. I have been getting anywhere from 35 - 38 mph in mixed driving. The brakes are excellent, the a/c cools the car down quickly and the heater warms it up just as quick. Again, I do not know why anyone would buy a Civic after owning this car. It is bigger, base models come with more, is much quicker, and costs anywhere from 2k to 4k less.

First time foreign, 8k mi in and good!
By fatjake on 11/21/08 21:34 PM (PST)

2008 Hyundai Elantra GLS 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Purchased an 2008 Elantra GLS with a 5 speed and the popular equip package for low $15k in July 2008. So far I LOVE it. Before this I was a strict 80s GM boat guy. This car is much quicker than I would have expected, and my MPG has been between 29-36mpg per tank. I am very happy, and I can't stress how much fun the car is to drive. The interior is more roomy than you would think from the outside and the back seat is more than sufficient. All around, I am very impressed with the quality of design in this car. I feel that Hyundai may be entering the realm that Toyota and Honda entered in the early 90's. Give it another few years and these cars will have the reputation they deserve!

This car does everything well.
By Jim Hawkins on 09/28/08 21:31 PM (PDT)

2008 Hyundai Elantra GLS 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

We have had this car for about 5 months and we are very pleased. It has zippy performance and gets 27MPG City and 35 MPG Hwy in the process. Braking is excellent. The four wheel discs do make a difference. The sound system with the XM radio, while not world class, is very pleasant to listen to. In town, it handles beautifully. At speed, there is a bit of extra body roll (especially right turns for whatever reason). I would recommend the 5 spd M. It makes for much more driving fun. The shifter does great as long as you don't force it. This car is extremely comfortable under pretty much all conditions (front and back). There are a lot of things "well done" about this car.

Value over all others
By Dave on 08/10/08 21:57 PM (PDT)

2008 Hyundai Elantra GLS 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Just recently purchased the Elantra and the deciding factor was cost. I own a Civic and the Elantra is just as good, if not better. Plus it costs about $3k less. The car is really responsive and is great with gas mileage. I have been getting about 31 miles in mixed driving, mainly city. There are plenty of cup holders (Civic has just 2 - go figure that one out) and plenty of storage space. The trunk is very roomy. I do not think you can go wrong purchasing an Elantra.

Can't Beat the Value
By Steven on 07/30/08 10:51 AM (PDT)

2008 Hyundai Elantra GLS 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Purchased a 08' with the standard package (AC, Satellite radio, etc.) out the door cost was mid 14K. The car's engine is peppy and if when drive it conservatively we have averaged 30-31 MPG and this is ALL city driving. Could not be happier with the mileage. The car is the roomiest small car out there, we researched and test drove, Toyota Corolla, Honda Civic, Kia, Mazda 3 and 6, Chevrolet Malibu. None of them matched the roominess of the interior or that of the trunk. I am 6' 1" and my son who is the same height can sit behind me in relative comfort. Two large golf bags fit easily in the trunk, something you CANNOT do in the civic.

I LOVE this car!
By tinkzcandy on 07/12/08 18:57 PM (PDT)

2008 Hyundai Elantra GLS 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I've only had this car for a little over a week, and I'm already in love. This is my first brand new car, so I've been doing plenty of research. Everything led me to this vehicle. The price is great, I got a great deal on mine. The exterior is very stylish, not to boxy. I have it in the carbon gray color and that helps so it doesn't look so dirty! haha The interior is a nice light gray color. A lot of compartments inside to store anything you could possibly need in a car. Lots of cup holders. Big trunk, it fit everything from my big trip walmart last night. Overall the inside is very comfortable for long trips. I drove up north yesterday, 2 hours both ways and no complaints here.

A Great Car
By Steve on 07/12/08 09:03 AM (PDT)

2008 Hyundai Elantra GLS 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I bought the Elantra as a fuel-saving means of getting back and forth to work. On my last tank I got 36.5 mpg, with only about 15 percent freeway, although living out in the country I do go about 50 mph getting into town. The car feels very solid and comfortable. I love the XM stereo and the myriad of small touches inside the car. The trunk is cavernous. All in all a great car.

The Edmunds TCO® estimated monthly insurance payment for a 2008 Hyundai Elantra in VA is:

$105 per month*