Used 2007 Hyundai Elantra Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2007 Hyundai Elantra - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Elantra model:

Purchased new 2007 Never a problem
By happy elantra owner

2007 Hyundai Elantra GLS 4dr Sedan w/XM Option (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Bought new in 2007, had no mechanical issues. Great service from Fitzgerald Hyundai. Excellent ride quality. Received excellent trade in value for vehicle as it had low miles and was very clean. I bought expecting a very reliable car, and that is what I had for 8 years. Traded it in and got over $1500 above average price for true value trade in. All city dtiving.

Average Car
By beardude92

2007 Hyundai Elantra GLS 4dr Sedan w/XM Option (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I purchased my Elantra early November and was genuinely excited as it was my first vehicle bought from a dealership. However, that excitement quickly dissipated the more I drove the car. While the acceleration is adequate, it does leave much to be desired, especially when the vehicle returns a mild 26 MPG on average with a 5-speed. The 5-speed on my Hyundai is also in need of repair with only 100k miles on the vehicle. The handling responds, but without a sense of urgency, leaving a very dull engagement, even on curvy roads. When thrown into a turn, the car listens, but in such a way that it seems lethargic. All-in-all, not a bad car. Just an incredibly lackluster experience.

My Hyundai doesn't have many features worth mentioning, though I do like the fact that it has disk brakes all around. While the automated volume control that adjusts the radio volume is cool in theory, I've found that it is incredibly, and sometimes painfully faulty, often resulting in the radio shooting to maximum output when you try to turn it down.

For some people, a bland, unexciting car is exactly what they are looking for, but I am personally left with a very bad taste in my mouth. Some improvements that I would personally make would be to liven up the suspension. It seems that the Elantra is marketed towards the millennial group, who are more focused on fun than practicality, and it falls short, especially when vehicles such as the Ford Focus, or even a later model WRX fall within the same price range. The radio controls could vastly be improved, as previously mentioned, as well as the transmission lasting longer. My final suggestion would be to possibly downsize the engine, but add a turbo, much like the Chevy Sonic for added pep.

Ages quickly-lost top gear at 117,500 miles
By nwmn1

2007 Hyundai Elantra GLS 4dr Sedan w/XM Option (2.0L 4cyl 4A)

I was enamored with my 2007 Elantra when I purchased it certified used with 35,000 miles in 2009. I commute 5 hrs one way to work each week. The car's suspension ages quickly, and it seems I go through tires faster than on other vehicles? I accepted all of that until a mid-night commute in rural MN found the car bucking and losing top gear. I'm now unable to go more than 50mph without a new buck every 10-15 miles. Transmission rebuild isn't worth it for the dents and plastic undercarriage breakage from living on dirt roads. I had planned on driving this car into the ground miles-wise. I expected many more years to do so . . .

worse car i have ever bought
By ruddym

2007 Hyundai Elantra GLS 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 4A)

I got my 2007 Elantra 5 year's ago and it was new when I bought it. there is now miles on the car the car is falling apart. like the rack & pinion, the clock spring. i would never buy anothe hyundai elantra again!!!!!!!!!

its good on gas

Great Car no problems!!!!!
By hellblitz

2007 Hyundai Elantra GLS 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 4A)

The Car runs Great now going on its fifth year and doing nutting but basic maintenance. Never had a break down. The one defect to this car I would say is the Brakes. The work great and better then most cars I've driven but they are small which means that you have to change them every 10k to 15k miles depending on how hard you break.

The ride is probably the smoothest you could have in a car at that price range.

I would suggest larger brakes be put on the car.