Used 2006 Hyundai Elantra Hatchback Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2006 Hyundai Elantra Hatchback - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Elantra model:

Great little car
By Norm

2006 Hyundai Elantra Hatchback GT 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I've got almost 50,000 miles on this car. Had to do nothing so far. I average 32 mpg overall. My only complaint is the AM radio reception - it is not good. FM and CD are great. Mine is all leather, standard transmission.

Leather seats, gas mileage computer

Better AM radio

great car!
By Joe

2006 Hyundai Elantra Hatchback GLS 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 4A)

I never bought a Hyundai before, just tried it based on word of mouth. Car gets very good gas mileage (30+ mpg) and has a smooth ride. It does have a little trouble accelerating on steep hills. Also, turns and quick maneuvers are a breeze. I would highly recommend this car.

Fuel economy, room in the hatchback and a great warranty.

Interior seems a little cheap because it's plastic.

My Elantra
By pfk981

2006 Hyundai Elantra Hatchback GT 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I purchased my Elantra GT in feb 2006. I now have 50,000 miles. This has been a great car. No major problems. The only real complaint I have is the stock rear brakes are very soft brake pads. I always noticed that my rear wheels had more brake dust than my front (not normal). After they started making noise (35K) I replaced them with better pads and all is good. I enjoy driving it to and from work everyday. I would definitely purchase another one.

Mileage, mileage, mileage and of course price.

Better rear brake pads.

Love my car!
By dkt

2006 Hyundai Elantra Hatchback GT 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 4A)

I love this car! It is cute and sporty and the performance is great. It has comparable power to other cars in its class and is much more affordable. There are a few quirks about the car, but the dealership where my maintenance is done has been really great. I've replaced the battery twice since I purchased the car in Feb 06 (July07 & Jan 08) . The dealership said "these things happen".I guess time will tell. The windshield washer fluid does not work when the temperature is below 32 degrees which can be very inconvenient. Also, I live in the mountains on a dirt road. I have to turn the TCS off to navigate some of the hills near my house. Otherwise, this is a great little reliable car.

This is my 2nd Elantra. Gets great gas mileage, purple dash board lights, sound system, comfortable, leather interior is easy to clean (I have a dog), sunroof, sporty, cute. I keep going back and forth about switching to an SUV because of where I live, but I am too attached to my car to give it up.

put better tires on the car. I only got 26000 miles on the michelin's that were on the car initially. I put a set of Bridgestone Potenza's on the car and 13000 miles later, they are great; the wear is perfect and performance is much better all around.

Not a car for colder climates
By MMRick726

2006 Hyundai Elantra Hatchback GT 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I bought this car new in Sept. 2006. I wish I would have known how badly it drives in slippery and snowy weather and I have the manual transmission!! The windshield washer fluid pump freezes in weather below 32 degrees and it makes it impossible to clean your windshield when something should splash on it. Above 32 degrees, it works perfectly. Go figure.

Sunroof, purple dash lights, sporty and cute, lots of room for a smaller car.

Please, please fix the windshield washer problem!! It is a hazard to anyone who drives this car!! Improve handling in cold and slippery weather situations.