2006 Hyundai Elantra Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Elantra model:
Extremely Unhappy with my choice
By mike794 on 01/14/14 11:00 AM (PST)

2006 Hyundai Elantra Sedan GLS 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 4A)

I bought a Hyundai Elantra in 2006. About 11k miles on the car that I noticed my right rear tire's treads are exposed. I TOOK THE CAR TO FIRE STONE ON TALBERT AVE. IN FOUNTAIN VALLEY CA., TO BUY A NEW TIRE, THE ATTENDANT BEFORE SEEING THE CAR ASKED ME IF I NEED TO REPLACE THE RIGHT REAR TIRE OF A HYUNDAI. I asked how did he know about the exact tire of the specific car he told me this is a common problem with HYUNDAIS Shortly after my driver side door handle broke while under warranty TUTTLE CLICK HYUNDAI said it is vandalism and not covered under warranty. I followed all procedures and finally went to SMALL CLAIM COURT where the judge ruled no one is responsible for the warranty work

Engine blew out at 34K
By vivient on 12/31/13 15:31 PM (PST)

2006 Hyundai Elantra Sedan GLS 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 4A)

Very disappointed in the car as well as manufacturer. Car was rarely driven and well maintained. Engine power was significantly pales when compared to a similar Toyota or Honda model. Brake pads do not last at all. Our car's radiator blew out at 34K and damaged the engine. Manufacturer refused to cover repair cost under warranty even though it has not expired, basically has been a big fat lie about warranty. Will not ever consider the brand again.

2006 Elantra GLS still going strong at 214,576
By binski72 on 01/29/13 15:18 PM (PST)

2006 Hyundai Elantra Sedan GLS 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 4A)

I bought this car new in june of 2006. The only thing I have done to this car is change the oil every 5,000 miles. I have gone through 3 sets of tires and front brakes 3 times. at 120,000 I did a complete tune up and had the trans and radiator flushed. This is my 4th elantra and they heve never let me down. Just make sure you do the basic maintaince and it will last a long time. I do drive 90% of the time on the highway. With the cruise controll set at 68mph I am still getting 32mpg on the highway. If i set it at 78mph it drops to 28mpg.

Transmission Problems
By missmyescort on 01/14/13 17:05 PM (PST)

2006 Hyundai Elantra Sedan GLS 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 4A)

I've had my 2006 Elantra for 3 years. Up until the last week I was pretty impressed with the value. These cars are much cheaper than those in its class for any given year. I had to replace the A/C condenser and a power steering pump but not bad for three years. ENTER YEAR 4 & THE TRANNY PROBLEM! I didn't read a single review about Hyundai tranny problems... but once my car started having problems I googled "hard shift from 2nd to 3rd after car has warmed up" and WOW! A lot of people have had this problem. Replacement was the only successful fix (appears it doesn't lead to failure but I can't live it). These car also have timing belts, another expensive maintenance item so trade it in I did.

Still going strong
By dragunz on 01/11/13 09:16 AM (PST)

2006 Hyundai Elantra Sedan GLS 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 4A)

Well, here it is 2013 and my 2006 Hyundai Elantra GLS is still going strong. 128k miles on it, its paid off, and it has only had a few issues over the past six years other than standard maintenance. The one thing that still irks the hell out of me though is the staring wheel material. It has degraded and is basically crumbling away. I took it to the dealership when i was still within the 60k bumper to bumper warranty. They had the nerve to tell me it was not covered and i was causing the damage with my finger nails??? Oh well, that's what black electrical tape and steering wheel covers are for. All in all i am hoping to keep this car another two years for my daughter.

Not a Good Car
By 06elantraowner on 11/17/11 23:34 PM (PST)

2006 Hyundai Elantra Sedan GLS 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 4A)

I currently own an 06 Elantra, after owning an 02 Elantra, I am seriously disappointed. The gas mileage has gotten horrid. I don't even get 18 miles to the gallon anymore, and it has been to every required maintenance and then more. I have taken good care of it, but the reliability of the parts is terrible, and again it has become a horrific gas guzzler. I am at a loss, as is Hyundai, to why it can't get anything over 18 mpg. It is poorly built, the interior has begun to fall apart, switches and knobs have broken, and the cloth seats are coming apart. This car has been used as an in city car only, but is still just falling apart, and costing me an arm and a leg to continue to drive.

low maintenance and fuel efficient
By sshegls on 10/14/11 09:12 AM (PDT)

2006 Hyundai Elantra Sedan GLS 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Overall this car is great. Bouht it when it was new in 2006 because it has a 5 star safety rating and was inexpensive around 13,000. I had horrible credit but hyundai is great at approving financing. Ive only had to do oil changes and one set of tires. Have 36000 miles all highway. I drive long distance and car is very comfy on highway and its "get up n go" peppy. the ac and heat is fanominal in this car and the hotest/coldest ive ever seen. I still have original light bulbs and only used 3 tanks of gas to drive ny to fl as i commute. car is especially smooth with michellin tires and quiet. There is no wind noise at all. I replaced the radio with a sony and sound quality is 10 times better.

Great little car!
By phil110 on 07/23/11 12:40 PM (PDT)

2006 Hyundai Elantra Sedan GLS 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 4A)

I used Edmonds to locate this car so thought I'd return the favor and write a review. If you're looking for a good reliable fuel efficient ride, this is it. I purchased this car a few months ago with 95K on the clock. I've just turned 106k and other than routine maintenance have had absolutely no trouble.

From the cold alaska winter to florida.
By morgan on 11/19/10 00:00 AM (PST)

2006 Hyundai Elantra Sedan GLS 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 4A)

In 05 I bought the car as my first new car. I was 19. Got married and husband got stationed in Alaska. So we took my car and his rsx to Alaska, we found out we were pregnant, this car lasted to and back from Alaska because Brandon was injured via I. E. D. And I moved back to Florida. When you take care of a car like this it will last you forever. We traded it in at the very end of 08 for a pathfinder which was nothing but problems so we got a 335i. One of the best little cars on the road. Brandon has the beamer and I have an 07 Civic. Not gonna lie. I kind of miss the elantra. Hopefully my little brother will get one in January when he turns 16 and he'll let me drive it I'm sure (:

Too low to the ground, and inside seating
By joy on 11/17/10 00:00 AM (PST)

2006 Hyundai Elantra Sedan GLS 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I've always driven manual cars, Honda Preludes, Toyota Celica but times changed and I bought this car my first 4dr, and it's a jewel. It's not fancy it's functional since I could not afford a Prius. My only complaint it's too low to the ground making certain curbs and deep snow, and potholes a major challenge. The seating is very low and very uncomfortable. With so many trucks and SUV in this area, my car has been hit three times in there years, meaning it's low to the ground the big guys back into my car though parked and take my bumper or leave a major expense to the back of car.

TCO® insurance data for this vehicle coming soon...

For an accurate quote, contact our trusted partner below.