Used 2005 Hyundai Elantra Sedan Consumer Reviews - 163 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2005 Hyundai Elantra Sedan - Consumer Reviews

2005 Hyundai Elantra Sedan

View reviews for a specific Elantra model:

Better then expected
By mirecku

2005 Hyundai Elantra Sedan GLS SULEV 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 4A)

Bought new in 2005 equipped with abs/tcs and 5m. 70,000 miles at this time with no Major problems. Been twice in small accidents, repaired fast and inexpensive. Stereo and speakers not good enough for me, but not really bad. We drive the car mostly in suburban areas in upstate NY averaging 26-29 mpg, 32-38 mpg highways, depending on a drivestyle. Traction control combined with winter tires makes car driveable even during big snowstorms, no problems with snow so far. Also very good for long trips, seats are comfortable, driver`s with lumbar support, armrest in good position, roomy in back seats. Almost no rattles, over 3000 rpm you can hear the engine more, aerodynamic noise is low, good for money

Strong headlights, roomy interior, brakes, mileage, ABS/TCS,

larger cargo space, telescopic steering wheel, better engine noise elimination

Elantra is Solid Car
By Daniel G

2005 Hyundai Elantra Sedan GLS 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Build quality is pretty good, some refinements missing. Example, light behind panel next to shift lever is BRIGHT at night and actually catches my eye and annoys. Won't dim with the dimmer knob like the rest of dash. Heater goes cold when idling at lights. Downshifts a little too easy, but overall good automatic. Good factory sound system. Seats okay, a little cardboardy. For price though can't really beat.

Good sound system, shifts pretty well, good trunk space, good suspension (though a little creaky), steering is responsive enough, great for commuting

Heater stays hot while idling, shift lever console should dim with rest of dash, needs outdoor temp indicator (everything should have this by '05, I have seen '05 sub-compacts with temp!), auto trunk open on FOB, improve gas mileage, should be better for size. Horn is pathetic.

I smell lemons
By 1carnut

2005 Hyundai Elantra Sedan GT 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Thank goodness for the warranty. I bought this car used with very low miles and a good service history. I have a brake problem that can't seem to be solved. On my 5th master cylinder and still have mush brake pedal. (Maybe that's not the problem guys!!) I've also had to have the rack & pinion replaced and the noise it was making prior to replacement is back. All of this with less than 35k miles. I do not abuse this car and it should not be having these issues. I will say that the dealerships have been good about doing the repairs. I see that it's on the recommended used cars list. I guess I just got a bad one but NEVER AGAIN!

MPG, Gas mileage computer

Reliability, outside temperature display

Love the car
By HGrant

2005 Hyundai Elantra Sedan GT 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

After totaling 2 Toyotas I wanted an car that looked,and functioned as well, but cost less. My Hyundai GT was it. The only problem I found were the tires that came with it they did not last a full year. It handles wonderful and has great get up for a small car. There is also plenty of room in the trunk for all my groceries. City gas mileage is approx. 22-24 miles per gallon. Of course my dealership's service dept is wonderful to me, just as they were with the two Toyotas I bought. My neighbors were so impressed, two of them bought Hyundais. That must say something about not only the car but the dealership.

heated mirrors, alarm system, ABS brakes, leather seats, large trunk

Better tires that last longer than a year.

Air Bag
By A. Stewart

2005 Hyundai Elantra Sedan GT 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

On October 14, 2008 We hit a deer with the car and then also hit a cement culvert before driving into the ditch. The car was a complete write off. The air bag never deployed and the appearance of the vehicle was of minimal damage. Though there was a twist to the frame from the front right impact, and cracking to interior rear door panel (nothing noted damage wise on the outside of this same door). It concerns me that a crash that was enough to bend the frame would not deploy an air bag. I have since replaced this vehicle but did not repurchase another Hyundai.

I loved the gas mileage for this vehicle.

sound system, and road noise from tires.