Used 2005 Hyundai Elantra Hatchback Consumer Reviews - 78 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2005 Hyundai Elantra Hatchback - Consumer Reviews

2005 Hyundai Elantra Hatchback

View reviews for a specific Elantra model:

Best small car out there
By Silent Wolf

2005 Hyundai Elantra Hatchback GLS 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Bought this car new with only 13 miles on the odo. Now have logged 11,700 on it. Only had a couple of issues first being wiper blade had hardened and they replaced that free saying " Ya sun exposure tends to do that when blades aren't used on the lots. Sorry about that." Second was a cluth slip around 8k but it did it only once and the dealer shop couldnt find any issues. I love the space and the decent performance from the best engine in the small car class. Downside is sacrafised fuel economy. But its alot better than previous cars ive driven. I do have my own plans for the car later in life.

Hatchback space, comfort and room esp for a small car

New Elantra comes out in 2007. So we shall see what improved. I only have to say better fuel economy would have been nice. Mines average 25-26, but im still satisfied.

Good Car
By Rick G.

2005 Hyundai Elantra Hatchback GT 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

With 10 months of ownership/23,000 on the odometer (yes, it's quite a commute), car has done everything we've expected. Avg'ing 35 mpg on the highway. Not shabby. Sufficient get up and go for merging/hwy passing. Outside of oil changes and the suggested 15k "checkup", car has not seen the dealership for anything other than the passenger seat recall (15 minute visit for recalibration). IOW, initial quality has been exceptional. Originally was crossing my fingers on this Korean product and hoping for the best (Had my doubts but the discounted pricing in comparison to the Japanese products reflected this) but Hyundai has dispelled these misgivings. Highly suggest car if "value" is high on list.

Sunroof is great. Leather seats are quite comfy for us. Options out the wazoo for the price. Hatch comes in reeeeal handy during the Home Depot/Lowes home improvement trips. At 6'2", 220lb, plenty of room for a commuter.

For some strange reason the FM reception is not that great with this stock radio/cd unit in comparison to my other vehicles. Limited range. Also, if handling (Mazda Zoom-Zoom grippin' style) is high on your list, might not be your car. Sorta like a cat crossin' a creek when it comes to cornering.

2005 Elantra GT - Ottawa, Canada
By Eric

2005 Hyundai Elantra Hatchback GT 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

After 3 months of highway driving, there was a very noticeable vibration in the steering wheel at speeds greater than 100 Km/hr. The rack & pinion was replaced free of charge, but I was charged for an alignment. Two weeks later, the vibration was back. This time I was charged for a wheel re-balancing. The CD player was repaired three times in a year. The tires were bald after 40,000 Km. There is excessive brake and wind noise. The driver's front headlight bulb has been repalced twice in 40,000 km (I seldom drive at night, so only the running lights are on).

Great acceleration in 2nd gear. Starts first time at -20 degrees Celcius.

The Elantra should come with proper tires (e.g. BFGoodridge Traction T/As), not the cheap, sub-standard Michelin Energy MXV4 Greens. All the torque is in 2nd gear. The car needs more torque in third gear.

great auto
By ariola

good handling,& comfort,winter & summer

d .ov 4 cyl. engine,+great accesory pack

ethenol burning capacity

My GT
By Clyde Vandivort

2005 Hyundai Elantra Hatchback GT 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I have mostly enjoyed my Elantra GT (we have another GT, and '03 model). I live in the mountains of West Virginia, and do a lot of driving due to working 45 miles away. My GT is fun to drive on the twisty roads, and returns excellent gas mileage. The stereo works great and keeps me entertained enroute. My only complaint is that I have some vibration on braking, due to warped brake rotors. I am surprised at this, with only 12,000+ miles.

Sound system; fuel economy; fun to drive.

Better braking systems. I tried to get a vehicle with abs, but dealer could not find one.