Used 2005 Hyundai Elantra Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2005 Hyundai Elantra - Consumer Reviews

2005 Hyundai Elantra Sedan

View reviews for a specific Elantra model:

A Pretty Good Experience
By grapemanca

2005 Hyundai Elantra Sedan GT 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

We've had our '05 Elantra for 4 years, and we've been pretty pleased. After testing many other cars in its class, we were happy to purchase the Elantra. It has a quieter and smoother ride than the '05 Corolla, and more power than a '05 Civic. It's nice and wide inside, with good head room. After 4 years it's still solid and tight.

Favorite Features

-good power and a smooth ride; the auto. transmission performs well; I like its interior size, esp.

Suggested Improvements

-brakes aren't vented and have required two services before 100,000 km; lousy AM radio and CD player sometimes damages discs; fuel economy OK, but that's the result of a larger engine than competitors

No complaints here
By Satisfied

2005 Hyundai Elantra Sedan GLS 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I bought a brand new 2005 elantra in 2005 for 2 reasons: good price and good warranty. Since then i have put 123K miles on it, changed the oil every 10K or so, and bye and large have beat it up. It hasn't flinched. At about 120K the brake pads wore out so i replaced them and decided to change my belts at the same time. Other than that no other work has been needed. I have gotten more than i ever expected out of it. Throw in the fact the excellent gas mileage makes that IRS per mile deduction go real far, and I'm a satisfied customer.

Favorite Features

gas mileage, low maintenance

Suggested Improvements

better sound system.

Love it!
By HappyJackie

2005 Hyundai Elantra Sedan GT 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

This was my first car, and I love it! It came with tinted windows, a sunroof, and leather seats. It is black, and very sleek looking. It looks like it costs way more than it actually is. Great gas mileage. My friends are jealous that I have such a great car. Very reliable. I also love the fact that if I leave my keys in the ignition, and I open the door and try to lock it, it automatically unlocks itself so that I never leave my keys in the car. Overall a very nice car for a very nice price.

Favorite Features

Interior design, exterior design, sunroof, gas mileage, lights automatically turn off.

Suggested Improvements

heated seats

Many problems
By Brian

2005 Hyundai Elantra Sedan GLS SULEV 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 4A)

I've had this car for 3 years, bought it new. Have had many problems with seat back falling off, its been replaced five times and still not fixed (first happened three months after I got the car, on my second coolant leak, cylinder in clutch needed replaced, glove compartment handle fell off, cloth came off the center console, power mirror switch replaced twice, and seat frame has been replaced three times. I would not recommend buying any Hyundai. I have been going through trouble trying to get my whole seat replaced with someone from the Hyundai central office.

Favorite Features

Good speakers if you replace the radio

Suggested Improvements

Improve quality, I would rather spend more money and get better quality and no hassle. Would recommend going with a Honda, better quality and the market value stays longer.

Better then expected
By mirecku

2005 Hyundai Elantra Sedan GLS SULEV 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 4A)

Bought new in 2005 equipped with abs/tcs and 5m. 70,000 miles at this time with no Major problems. Been twice in small accidents, repaired fast and inexpensive. Stereo and speakers not good enough for me, but not really bad. We drive the car mostly in suburban areas in upstate NY averaging 26-29 mpg, 32-38 mpg highways, depending on a drivestyle. Traction control combined with winter tires makes car driveable even during big snowstorms, no problems with snow so far. Also very good for long trips, seats are comfortable, driver`s with lumbar support, armrest in good position, roomy in back seats. Almost no rattles, over 3000 rpm you can hear the engine more, aerodynamic noise is low, good for money

Favorite Features

Strong headlights, roomy interior, brakes, mileage, ABS/TCS,

Suggested Improvements

larger cargo space, telescopic steering wheel, better engine noise elimination