Used 2005 Hyundai Elantra Hatchback Consumer Reviews - 79 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2005 Hyundai Elantra Hatchback - Consumer Reviews

2005 Hyundai Elantra Hatchback

View reviews for a specific Elantra model:

Great Value Good-looking Car
By greatcar

2005 Hyundai Elantra Hatchback GLS 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Still a satisfied Hyundai Elantra customer after 3 years and 22,500 miles. This car compares with Honda Civic for reliability, drive, and economy. Good looking grill and body, finish has held up like new. I live in arctic Michigan and this car has never skidded off the road during the worst sleet and hail storms. FWD holds the road if you drive sensibly during snowstorms. With high gas prices I definitely appreciate the Great fuel economy. Car came loaded and included the moonroof, and boasts the most comfortable front seats I ever experienced in a foreign car (4 Toyotas). Front bucket seats adjust at least 5 ways. The HB excels in visibility. Never had any mechanical problem.

Comfortable seats

Add a couple inches higher roof for better head room.

Not too bad
By Not that bad

2005 Hyundai Elantra Hatchback GLS 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Bought the car for a daily commuter w/ some road trips in mind as well. I've been pretty pleased with the car, but it is in the shop right now at 42,000 miles to get the rear brakes replaced. Seems way too early, especially since I have the manual and use my brakes sparingly. Dealer seemed mystified as to why only 1 brake pad was worn badly... Tires were completely bald by about 32,000 miles. Clutch is pretty pathetic too, definately not a sport- machine. Sloppy gearbox sometimes leads to a gear grinding here and there (roomate has the same problem with his Accent). Probably going to be my first and last Hyundai, I'd rather pay a little more for better quality.

Hatchback is awesome for hauling things around - easily fits my mountain bike. Fuel economy is good too - low 30s in mixed city/highway driving.

Better quality transmission/clutch. Put some effort into the "normal wear" items (brakes, tires, clutch) so we don't get screwed.

Good commuter car!
By BJ Pace

2005 Hyundai Elantra Hatchback GT 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I bought my car new in October 2004. The only repair that it has needed was when my driver side window rubber folded over and the window didn't operated properly. That repair was covered under warranty. This car is economical, easy to park, and handles well. A plus is the leather is holding up. The moon roof slide and tilt are nice to use on a evening drive. I would recommend buying this car used because most 05's will still be under the manufacturers warranty.

Tilt/slide roof - crisp night driving under the stars is fun.

The little fold down storage on the dash nest to the driver's window is useless. Coins do not come out of it easily and I can't find a use for it. Instead make it so you can keep your cell phone in in by slanding it downward so when you stop it doesn't fall out.

2 years and still satisfied!
By Ken

2005 Hyundai Elantra Hatchback GT 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I was hesitant to buy this car at the start, but quickly fell in love with it. Price, economy and warranty are just plain unbeatable. I was trying to purchase a 3-5 year old Camry or Honda and got into a brand new Elantra for the same money.

The backseat room is awesome - very roomy for a smaller car. I do handyman work and the hatchback has beena lifesaver. I can fit 8 foot dimension lumber completly inside the car and close the hatch. I love the keyless entry to the hatch - very convenient.

The windshield wipers leave the "crossover" smudge in the driver's view. It should be in the middle or reversed to the passenger side for safety. Sun visor needs extensions. Rubber coating on trim rips off in a "wand type" carwash. One spot on mine looks like a squirrel chewed it!!

Great car for the price!!
By donjohnson374

2005 Hyundai Elantra Hatchback GT 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I work construction, and this car is my "work truck" The hatchback comes in really handy for my tools....all in all, it is a great car for the price, and I have had no problems with it,

I like the hatchback......the cover hides my tools from view, so there is less of a chance of theft.

It would be nice to have a CD player that holds more than one CD.