2005 Hyundai Elantra Hatchback - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Elantra model:
Nothing better for the price
By J.C. on 10/09/05 11:21 AM (PDT)

2005 Hyundai Elantra Hatchback GT 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

If you are looking for a sporty, economy car, this is it! The others in its class don't even compare, especially on price and warranty. At 6'5" and 230lbs, I just do fit (more headroom if I'd not gotten the sunroof), but what a great commuter car.

Impressive price and value
By Henry Semple on 09/17/05 06:43 AM (PDT)

2005 Hyundai Elantra Hatchback GT 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 4A)

I bought this car several weeks ago and have been driving it in a variety of different ways. I commute 25 miles each way on the highway for work and live in a densely populated city. The GT version's suspension and interior touches make longer highway drives pleasent and comftorble. In the city it handles well also but MPG suffers and becomes very average for its class. Also the visibility in the rear of the hatchback version is not as good as other hatchbacks I have driven. The engine is quick to respond from a stop but it seems you really have to lead foot it to get brisk accelleration at moderate speeds. Chose auto over manual after not liking the shift range and clutch.

More than a good deal
By frank.hujsa on 09/16/05 02:49 AM (PDT)

2005 Hyundai Elantra Hatchback GT 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 4A)

I was skeptical about getting a Hyundai Elantra at first, but I was impressed enough by the warranty and features to be satisfied. Since then, I've come to realize that it wasn't only a fantastic deal for about $15,000, but would have been a good choice for thousands more. There is no other car that offers the combination of style, comfort, drive, and price that the Elantra provides. And, it's not a bland and overpriced Civic or Corolla. This is my first online post, but I feel that strongly about this car. Spend some time researching the Elantra and comparing it to the others. You'll quickly see that its more than a good deal; its a car you'll love.

2005 GLS Hatchback 5 speed
By dtipton on 09/14/05 08:19 AM (PDT)

2005 Hyundai Elantra Hatchback GLS 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

After 3 months and 7000 miles the car has been in the shop 4 times. Three times for problems with the cruise control and once because they did not replace the drain plug properly after an oil change which caused a leak and because the paint was coming off where a bird made a deposit. I was told the warranty did not cover the paint as it was a "foreign substance". They would have covered it had I purchased their after market paint sealer. I called Hyundai Customer Care and was told, "Paint is not covered under warranty if the car is exposed to outside elements". I asked how I was expected to drive the car without exposing it to outside elements? No answer just a "it's our policy sir".

Exceeding Expectations
By Dave Hermens on 09/14/05 00:31 AM (PDT)

2005 Hyundai Elantra Hatchback GT 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 4A)

Before purchasing the Elantra GT, I had done extensive research on the many competitors in its category. I was surprised to find that it outperformed even the Corolla and Civic. After 7500 miles, I've decided that my choice was a good one. The Elantra is exceeding my expectations. It is sporty, economical, quiet and a very fun car to drive. The performance in the city or on the freeway has been exceptional. My one complaint is that the GT color options are limited. I would have liked a white GT.

Perfect do-all commuter
By thm73 on 09/13/05 11:28 AM (PDT)

2005 Hyundai Elantra Hatchback GT 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Hesitant as I was to buy a Korean vehicle, I am glad I did. I've only owned the car for 2 weeks now - but at 1200 miles now (I can finally use the cruise control!) - it's been flawless. There is nothing about this vehicle that I haven't expected (not the fastest engine) - and a few things that I have been pleasantly surprised about - (the A/C gets too cold?!?) - this car is built with quality in mind - and is right on par with it's competition; at a better price to boot. In order to get ABS - I opted for a model with the sunroof/traction control/ABS package- which adds about $1300 to the base price GT - worth it in my opinion - and you get a sunroof too! I see no reason not to buy this car.

Value!
By Chris on 09/12/05 13:40 PM (PDT)

2005 Hyundai Elantra Hatchback GLS 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 4A)

I bought this car because my previous vehicle, a 2000 Ford Focus was totalled in a flood. I was going to test drive the Elantra back when I bought the Ford and should have! Though I haven't had this car for long, its already so much better then the Focus. As far as handling is concerned, the Ford has this car beat, but thats about it. I don't know of any other car with leather, sunroof, abs, traction control, etc. for the price. Definitely check this car out.

my new hyundai
By ed taylor on 09/06/05 10:34 AM (PDT)

2005 Hyundai Elantra Hatchback GLS 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

So far so good. Only problem is windshield wipers. Otherwise it seem to run pretty good.

One great economy car
By Blao on 09/06/05 00:14 AM (PDT)

2005 Hyundai Elantra Hatchback GLS 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 4A)

Love at first sight, It looks and equipted much better than more expensive Corolla and Civic. Very roomy with hatchback model. Handling is better than my camry 95 LE V6. The engine is strong enought to move the car smoothly with traffice on both city and highway. Most of material used in the car look and feel great, only a few items look cheap such as the Glove compartment, antenna, muffler...

Elantra Number Two
By jlflemmons on 08/25/05 13:43 PM (PDT)

2005 Hyundai Elantra Hatchback GT 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 4A)

This is the second Elantra I have owned. I have had only one very minor warranty repair, a defective wiper blade. With the automatic, the power is only adequate to good with regard to off the line acceleration, but the vehicle can run all day on the interstate without any tiresome engine noise. The previous Elantra (an '02) had a 5spd and was much sportier to drive. Both were tight and squeak and rattle free. The GT definitely has the better suspension for handling with only a slightly firmer ride.