Used 2005 Hyundai Elantra Hatchback Consumer Reviews - 78 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2005 Hyundai Elantra Hatchback - Consumer Reviews

2005 Hyundai Elantra Hatchback

View reviews for a specific Elantra model:

Great car especially at the price
By James

2005 Hyundai Elantra Hatchback GLS 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

My Chevy s10 pickup died without warning and I needed a car in a hurry and for little money. I wanted a new car but had used car money. I found the Elantra, researched it and made the purchase. I never had any problems in 70K+ miles; the only things I did were brakes (one set of pads) and tires. For the price you get a good ride, some luxury and very cheap to drive (fuel and maintenance).

Overall form and function. Great Synergy

I would like to lock the car from outside with the engine running. Why? So I could leave the air going for the dog while I run into the store. The feature that keeps you from locking keys in a car that is running it a plus for some but not me.

GREAT LIL' CAR
By Sonny

2005 Hyundai Elantra Hatchback GLS 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

This was my first new car and before I bought it I felt I had done a good job researching and it paid off. This car gets better gas mileage the listed in the epa estimates. I get 34 miles per gallon hmy and about 29 in city. It is quiet, smooth, comfortable, and has the space I have needed for moving things around, shopping etc. (I was able to fit my dishwasher at one point as well as a full sized treadmill in box). Good car, good price, good service at the dealership.

I love the Hatchback

I wish it had nicer looking head lights.

Relatively Reliable and Good Car
By HurriCane

2005 Hyundai Elantra Hatchback GLS 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I have 47K miles with the GLS five- speed manual transmission hatchback, and I haven't had any problem with the clutch or engine. Both have been maintained on a regular basis, usually a few hundred miles over every 3000. However, I did have to get the rear brakes replaced at 30K. But this because I was a little abusive with the parking brake while driving. Immaturity I guess. Everything else has been great, but the tape deck needed to be replaced with a more digital deck because of an electrical short at 45K miles. Overall, you gotta be realistic that this isn't going to drive like any type of high end roadster, however I have been impressed with the handling and gas mileage 28-35 usually.

Hatchback is awesome for storing things. I also love the manual transmission and I haven't had any issues. The power and mileage is great for a compact for under $15K, and the engine is still very good without any issues even after 47K miles.

Better tires. The stock tires are always ready to hydroplane. Also the some of the plastic interior is "flimsy" but the car did cost under $14K so I can happily live with that. An extension on the sun visor would also be appreciated.

Poor Customer Support
By kwiffy

2005 Hyundai Elantra Hatchback GT SULEV 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 4A)

Interior quality poor. Service poor. Too many times told "Ordinary wear & tear." Leather seat back started to deteriorate within 3 months. Inside door seals tear in short time. Outside door weathrstrip has measles. Told it was ordinary wear & tear. Front & rear brakes replaced at 24K. Headlights went bad within short time, dealer replaced. Thermostat went bad & blew radiator, dealer fixed. Car overheated again, dealer stated radiator cap loose. Floor mats deteriorated & dealer replaced. Bulbs out on dashboard since 6 months old, dealer claims they are not covered. Currently starter grinds early in morning only and A/C makes vibrating noise, dealer found nothing.

Very roomy car.

Improve quality of parts used in manufacture and fix what is broken.

Great Value Good-looking Car
By greatcar

2005 Hyundai Elantra Hatchback GLS 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Still a satisfied Hyundai Elantra customer after 3 years and 22,500 miles. This car compares with Honda Civic for reliability, drive, and economy. Good looking grill and body, finish has held up like new. I live in arctic Michigan and this car has never skidded off the road during the worst sleet and hail storms. FWD holds the road if you drive sensibly during snowstorms. With high gas prices I definitely appreciate the Great fuel economy. Car came loaded and included the moonroof, and boasts the most comfortable front seats I ever experienced in a foreign car (4 Toyotas). Front bucket seats adjust at least 5 ways. The HB excels in visibility. Never had any mechanical problem.

Comfortable seats

Add a couple inches higher roof for better head room.