2005 Hyundai Elantra - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Elantra model:
A Pretty Good Experience
By grapemanca on 06/17/09 21:40 PM (PDT)

2005 Hyundai Elantra GT 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

We've had our '05 Elantra for 4 years, and we've been pretty pleased. After testing many other cars in its class, we were happy to purchase the Elantra. It has a quieter and smoother ride than the '05 Corolla, and more power than a '05 Civic. It's nice and wide inside, with good head room. After 4 years it's still solid and tight.

Good Buy
By Lorenzo on 05/02/09 17:06 PM (PDT)

2005 Hyundai Elantra GLS 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Purchased Jan '05. One of the best experiences from dealership. Logged considerable miles on vehicle now. Few complaints. Like the hatchback design, can move alot of odds and ends with little trouble. Getting ready to purchase a '09 model. Solid value. Thank you Hyundai for building a car people can believe in!

No complaints here
By Satisfied on 04/30/09 22:57 PM (PDT)

2005 Hyundai Elantra GLS 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I bought a brand new 2005 elantra in 2005 for 2 reasons: good price and good warranty. Since then i have put 123K miles on it, changed the oil every 10K or so, and bye and large have beat it up. It hasn't flinched. At about 120K the brake pads wore out so i replaced them and decided to change my belts at the same time. Other than that no other work has been needed. I have gotten more than i ever expected out of it. Throw in the fact the excellent gas mileage makes that IRS per mile deduction go real far, and I'm a satisfied customer.

Love it!
By HappyJackie on 04/05/09 21:01 PM (PDT)

2005 Hyundai Elantra GT 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

This was my first car, and I love it! It came with tinted windows, a sunroof, and leather seats. It is black, and very sleek looking. It looks like it costs way more than it actually is. Great gas mileage. My friends are jealous that I have such a great car. Very reliable. I also love the fact that if I leave my keys in the ignition, and I open the door and try to lock it, it automatically unlocks itself so that I never leave my keys in the car. Overall a very nice car for a very nice price.

Excellent Buy
By P Brantley on 03/31/09 11:49 AM (PDT)

2005 Hyundai Elantra GT 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I purchased this car within an hour of my test drive and haven't had a single regret so far. I just returned from a weekend trip to another state and have already put over 12oo miles on the car. I would rather drive this than my wife's Camry XLE. I am 6 ft and weigh 280 but the comfort and driveability are exceptional. Very smooth, not rough, tight steering, no power surge acceleration with cruise control even up steep hills. I have averaged 31-32 MPG. I am very pleased with this car and the service I received from the dealer who went the extra step and got my 4 points off my initial interest rate. I will look to Hyundai first for my next car.

Many problems
By Brian on 03/18/09 09:22 AM (PDT)

2005 Hyundai Elantra GLS SULEV 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 4A)

I've had this car for 3 years, bought it new. Have had many problems with seat back falling off, its been replaced five times and still not fixed (first happened three months after I got the car, on my second coolant leak, cylinder in clutch needed replaced, glove compartment handle fell off, cloth came off the center console, power mirror switch replaced twice, and seat frame has been replaced three times. I would not recommend buying any Hyundai. I have been going through trouble trying to get my whole seat replaced with someone from the Hyundai central office.

Better then expected
By mirecku on 03/09/09 11:34 AM (PDT)

2005 Hyundai Elantra GLS SULEV 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 4A)

Bought new in 2005 equipped with abs/tcs and 5m. 70,000 miles at this time with no Major problems. Been twice in small accidents, repaired fast and inexpensive. Stereo and speakers not good enough for me, but not really bad. We drive the car mostly in suburban areas in upstate NY averaging 26-29 mpg, 32-38 mpg highways, depending on a drivestyle. Traction control combined with winter tires makes car driveable even during big snowstorms, no problems with snow so far. Also very good for long trips, seats are comfortable, driver`s with lumbar support, armrest in good position, roomy in back seats. Almost no rattles, over 3000 rpm you can hear the engine more, aerodynamic noise is low, good for money

Elantra is Solid Car
By Daniel G on 02/17/09 07:59 AM (PST)

2005 Hyundai Elantra GLS 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Build quality is pretty good, some refinements missing. Example, light behind panel next to shift lever is BRIGHT at night and actually catches my eye and annoys. Won't dim with the dimmer knob like the rest of dash. Heater goes cold when idling at lights. Downshifts a little too easy, but overall good automatic. Good factory sound system. Seats okay, a little cardboardy. For price though can't really beat.

I smell lemons
By 1carnut on 01/23/09 19:24 PM (PST)

2005 Hyundai Elantra GT 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Thank goodness for the warranty. I bought this car used with very low miles and a good service history. I have a brake problem that can't seem to be solved. On my 5th master cylinder and still have mush brake pedal. (Maybe that's not the problem guys!!) I've also had to have the rack & pinion replaced and the noise it was making prior to replacement is back. All of this with less than 35k miles. I do not abuse this car and it should not be having these issues. I will say that the dealerships have been good about doing the repairs. I see that it's on the recommended used cars list. I guess I just got a bad one but NEVER AGAIN!

Great car... with bad surprises
By Jeffbiss007 on 01/22/09 20:24 PM (PST)

2005 Hyundai Elantra GLS 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I bought my Hyundai Elantra in march 2005 and I was totally satisfied with it! This car has a great look, does not consume a lot of gas and has enough power to shift any slow vehicle on any road. Also, this car really has a lot of space (can make 5 persons very comfortable, including 4 men over 6'0). But... Bad surprises appeared during the winter 2008/2009: My clutch began to slip more and more. I drive a manual car since I am 16 (12 years from now) and I never had troubles with clutches. And have always been gentle with my Elantra. Now, after 80000 km (50000 miles), my clutch is done, and I have to prove my dealership I did not beat my car: