2005 Hyundai Elantra GLS Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2005 Hyundai Elantra - Consumer Reviews

2005 Elantra Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Elantra model:

Sort Reviews by

looked for practical bargain-- got it!
By rjfin

2005 Hyundai Elantra GLS 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 4A)

Lots of good cars to pick from in this size; I needed something safe, comfortable, economical, reliable. Price & warranty got me to dealership; comfort, int. & ext. design, and side airbags sold me. It's been flawless. The driver's multiple seat adjustments and the smooth ride make my long trips pleasurable. Plenty of cruising power. Well designed nooks & compartments, and cup holders... I see lots of Elantras on the road, and am hoping resale on these continues to improve as folks see Hyundai has its act together-- but even it if doesn't, I expect to happily drive this car for a LONG time, and am confident I'll get my money's worth.

Favorite Features

Warranty, standard "extras", side air bags, interior design-- esp. driver's seat adjustments.

Suggested Improvements

I've bumped my head on the trunk latch while loading trunk. Redesign the angle at which the trunk opens, or modify the latch?

A Korean GTI
By flgtman

2005 Hyundai Elantra GT 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

The Elantra GT is the Korean equivelant of the first Volkswagen GTI. Put a strong motor in a small car with a good suspension a decent 5 speed transmission, add a nice interior a good stereo and an attractive price and it will sell. I have seen as many new GT's as I did when I had purchased my GTI 20 years ago cruising down the road and passing me with a wave or knowing smile. This is a well thought out and quality built car that is fun to drive and turn's heads. I have had people ask numerous times if it's the new saab?

Favorite Features

I love the leather interior and the mp3 capable kenwood stereo that is as nice as an aftermarket system. the moonroof is nice as well as the folding rear seats that allow my 2 large dogs to cruise in style without damaging the leather. the interior is cavernous for a car of this size.

Suggested Improvements

I would love to see it with a V-6 option or a turbo. Also the GT should have a larger tire and wheel option. The 6 speed transmission from the Tiburon would be nice too. Hyundai has many loyal enthusiast the should have a performance shop like SVO, TRD or SRT like other manufacturer's

hubert humphrey hyundai
By gilbert freeman

2005 Hyundai Elantra GT 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 4A)

I just sold a big Acura, have had Hondas for years, big Buicks, etc., and this is the best car ever. More bells and whistles than some very expensive autos.

Favorite Features

The hatchback has more room than Focus, any Honda or Toyota small car; I bought a twin mattress, put it in there, and closed the hatch with ease.

Suggested Improvements

With all the monster cars and SUVs out there, I think a smaller car should be very very visible. I got RED, but think the Elantra should also be available in YELLOW, bright blue, green, and leave the tans and grays to the more traditional, boring, and bigger cars.

love it
By orange1

2005 Hyundai Elantra GT 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 4A)

I absolutely love my car, even though it isnt the expensive sporty car that I wanted, I got more than expected for my money. I bought it since my dad is the mechanic at the dealership and he believes that Hyundai's are truely remarkable and reliable cars. The comfort rating is top among even cars in the $30,000 range. I love my elantra!

Favorite Features

The sound, sporty but not obnoxiously loud, the seats (sooo comfortable), and the sound system (absolutely wonderful for factory), and the sunroof

Suggested Improvements

sportier exterior and cup holders farther apart

2005 Hundai Elantra GT Hatchback
By edjets123@aol.com

2005 Hyundai Elantra GT 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 4A)

Drives like a dream, holds the road like it knows the way to where you are going. Controls are second nature, good gas mileage so far, with 1200 miles getting 25mpg. Hatchback utility is awesome with plenty of cargo space. Loaded a new dishwasher without a sweat, who needs a gas guzzling SUV? We are very happy with our purchase to date. My wife has a Honda Accord, which is also a great car , but she says the Hundai holds the road better and handles like a champ. If you are going to buy one make sure to spend the extra for the GT suspension.

Favorite Features

Sunroof, foglights, ABS and traction control. CD player, cruise all automatic. Hatchback utility.

Suggested Improvements

Can't think of any.

This car's A Steal !!
By Zbillz1

2005 Hyundai Elantra GT 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 4A)

Being in the market for a reliable, well built but low cost new small car, I fully expected to end up buying a Honda Civic.. Until I listened to a friend who swore by his '03 Elantra. I'm glad I did. After lotsa research & test driving both the Civic & Elantra GT, The Elantra was the clear winner with much better acceleration, lots more fun to drive, better looks in & out, better interior egonomics, the fit & finish was excellent, great sound insulation, the warranty was far, far better. The Elantra GT came with far more standard features (like leather, alloy wheels, etc.)and cost, after all the dickering at both, literaly thousands of $$ less than the Civic. This car's a steel !

Favorite Features

The tilt/slide moonroof, Quiet but very Peppy engine, Storage compartments, warranty & overall quality & design.

Suggested Improvements

Make exterior antenna retractable. Introduce a coupe model. Add Seek feature to the AM/FM/CD/MP3 player (It has Scan).

good car for a Great Price!
By hyulew

2005 Hyundai Elantra GT 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 4A)

This car as far as I can tell is up to par with all the others of its class. It handles like a dream takes corners very well. I go around curves at about 65 to 70 and it has no problem holding turn. Eather way I beat the crap out of this car and have had no problems to date. Thank you hyundai!

Favorite Features

handling and price.

Suggested Improvements

comfort of the drivers side front seat. probably the passanger seat to but I don't sit there :-).

SO FAR, SO GOOD
By VESPEE

2005 Hyundai Elantra GLS 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 4A)

FIRST TIME HYUNDAI BUYER..AM VERY HAPPY, SO FAR. NOT ONLY WITH THE AUTOMOBILE BUT ALSO WITH PLANET HYUNDAI'S ATTENTIVE AND COURTEOUS SERVICE. VP LAS VEGAS, NV

Favorite Features

EASY, ZIPPY AND FUN TO DRIVE!

Suggested Improvements

LOOSE CORNERING