Used 2005 Hyundai Elantra Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2005 Hyundai Elantra - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Elantra model:

More than a good deal
By frank.hujsa

2005 Hyundai Elantra GT 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 4A)

I was skeptical about getting a Hyundai Elantra at first, but I was impressed enough by the warranty and features to be satisfied. Since then, I've come to realize that it wasn't only a fantastic deal for about $15,000, but would have been a good choice for thousands more. There is no other car that offers the combination of style, comfort, drive, and price that the Elantra provides. And, it's not a bland and overpriced Civic or Corolla. This is my first online post, but I feel that strongly about this car. Spend some time researching the Elantra and comparing it to the others. You'll quickly see that its more than a good deal; its a car you'll love.

My hatchback is at least as versatile as an SUV when it comes to hauling stuff around; I moved everything in my apartment in two trips, furniture included. I love smoking those obnoxious coffeecan exhaust-pipe "tuners". Haul cargo. Only the Elantra. Also, leather. Standard on the GT.

The geometry of the hatchback could be better complimented by a shorter and more durable antenna. And...hm... I guess that's it.

2005 GLS Hatchback 5 speed
By dtipton

2005 Hyundai Elantra GLS 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

After 3 months and 7000 miles the car has been in the shop 4 times. Three times for problems with the cruise control and once because they did not replace the drain plug properly after an oil change which caused a leak and because the paint was coming off where a bird made a deposit. I was told the warranty did not cover the paint as it was a "foreign substance". They would have covered it had I purchased their after market paint sealer. I called Hyundai Customer Care and was told, "Paint is not covered under warranty if the car is exposed to outside elements". I asked how I was expected to drive the car without exposing it to outside elements? No answer just a "it's our policy sir".

Fuel Economy.

I like the car, but am very unhappy with the things listed.

Exceeding Expectations
By Dave Hermens

2005 Hyundai Elantra GT 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 4A)

Before purchasing the Elantra GT, I had done extensive research on the many competitors in its category. I was surprised to find that it outperformed even the Corolla and Civic. After 7500 miles, I've decided that my choice was a good one. The Elantra is exceeding my expectations. It is sporty, economical, quiet and a very fun car to drive. The performance in the city or on the freeway has been exceptional. My one complaint is that the GT color options are limited. I would have liked a white GT.

The GT has a very responsive engine. It is peppy off the line and yet it averages nearly 30 MPG in overall driving conditions. Road noise is minimal and handling is secure.

I like the trip computer, but would like to have it indicate temperature and direction.

Perfect do-all commuter
By thm73

2005 Hyundai Elantra GT 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Hesitant as I was to buy a Korean vehicle, I am glad I did. I've only owned the car for 2 weeks now - but at 1200 miles now (I can finally use the cruise control!) - it's been flawless. There is nothing about this vehicle that I haven't expected (not the fastest engine) - and a few things that I have been pleasantly surprised about - (the A/C gets too cold?!?) - this car is built with quality in mind - and is right on par with it's competition; at a better price to boot. In order to get ABS - I opted for a model with the sunroof/traction control/ABS package- which adds about $1300 to the base price GT - worth it in my opinion - and you get a sunroof too! I see no reason not to buy this car.

Lights turn off with iginition (even if the switch is still on), A/C is VERY good, leather seats are firm and supportive, yet comfortable. Hatchback versitility. Trip Computer (watching MPG's is addictive). I like having a sunroof, and this one is nice. The heating and air control knobs are great.

The bell for the seatbelt reminder is a little loud. Road noise coming from hatch area is a bit excessive (getting cargo tray today - hope that helps) - The GT alloy rims look a bit outdated - how about a more sporty pattern?

Great Value
By Fred

2005 Hyundai Elantra GLS 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 4A)

Test drove the Civic, Corolla and Elantra. All very nice cars but the Elantra has many more standard features, gives a bigger car ride and is overall a great value. The 138 HP 2.0 Liter engine is in a class by itself in this car category. Acceleration is very good and the engine is fairly quiet. Fit and finish on the car is excellent. Once you get over the bad history and stigma of driving a Hyundai from years ago, you will be favorably impressed and this probably won't be the last Hyundai you purchase. This car is simply a better and heavier car than the Civic or Corolla with a much better warranty. Gas mileage is less than its competitors, but worth it.

Power everything, big car ride, trunk space, acceleration, great air conditioning, build quality, great price, Michelin tires, etc.

CD player should be standard. Gas mileage should be improved.

• SUV