Used 2005 Hyundai Elantra Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2005 Hyundai Elantra - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Elantra model:

After a half dozen Hondas...
By Ralph Stein

2005 Hyundai Elantra GLS 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 4A)

I didn't think I'd buy anything but a Honda again. A looming bill for an expensive selective college for my teen made me rethink the equation. So I test drove a Hyundai. It felt like a Honda, had a comfortable interior (I'm 6'2") and for a little over 16G I got the most feature-loaded car I've ever had. The sales experience was also the most low pressured ever and after two months of driving this car I'm thrilled with it. Will probably upgrade to another Hyundai - in four years.

Favorite Features

Traction control system, ABS brakes, decent CD/AM/FM 6-speaker stereo, keyless entry w/alarm, easy handling and comfortable ride.

Suggested Improvements

Beter basic stereo system, no big deal.

Impressive price and value
By Henry Semple

2005 Hyundai Elantra GT 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 4A)

I bought this car several weeks ago and have been driving it in a variety of different ways. I commute 25 miles each way on the highway for work and live in a densely populated city. The GT version's suspension and interior touches make longer highway drives pleasent and comftorble. In the city it handles well also but MPG suffers and becomes very average for its class. Also the visibility in the rear of the hatchback version is not as good as other hatchbacks I have driven. The engine is quick to respond from a stop but it seems you really have to lead foot it to get brisk accelleration at moderate speeds. Chose auto over manual after not liking the shift range and clutch.

Favorite Features

Interior is calm and VERY quiet at 60-70mph. The perfect highway commuter. Very solidly built. Can't say enough about the extras I got for the price I paid.

Suggested Improvements

Hatchback seems to lack good rearward vision. Could just take a little time to get used to. Also, if they're gonna call it a "GT", they should spice up the performance of the engine a little.

My first Hyundai
By Frank Maples

2005 Hyundai Elantra GLS 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 4A)

I drive a lot of new vehicles for a large dealearship I work for. I have to say that I enjoy driving my 05 Elantra as much as any of the other new cars and more than most, regardless of price. Sure it's mine, but it's also fun! Ride and handling is impressive, and it feels very solid. I would definitely recommend this car, and have.

Favorite Features

Fold down split rear seats and places to store small things accessible from the drivers seat.

Suggested Improvements

Maybe a bet more power for passing, but with gas mileage this good (28/35) I'm not complaining to much.

More than a good deal
By frank.hujsa

2005 Hyundai Elantra GT 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 4A)

I was skeptical about getting a Hyundai Elantra at first, but I was impressed enough by the warranty and features to be satisfied. Since then, I've come to realize that it wasn't only a fantastic deal for about $15,000, but would have been a good choice for thousands more. There is no other car that offers the combination of style, comfort, drive, and price that the Elantra provides. And, it's not a bland and overpriced Civic or Corolla. This is my first online post, but I feel that strongly about this car. Spend some time researching the Elantra and comparing it to the others. You'll quickly see that its more than a good deal; its a car you'll love.

Favorite Features

My hatchback is at least as versatile as an SUV when it comes to hauling stuff around; I moved everything in my apartment in two trips, furniture included. I love smoking those obnoxious coffeecan exhaust-pipe "tuners". Haul cargo. Only the Elantra. Also, leather. Standard on the GT.

Suggested Improvements

The geometry of the hatchback could be better complimented by a shorter and more durable antenna. And...hm... I guess that's it.

2005 GLS Hatchback 5 speed
By dtipton

2005 Hyundai Elantra GLS 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

After 3 months and 7000 miles the car has been in the shop 4 times. Three times for problems with the cruise control and once because they did not replace the drain plug properly after an oil change which caused a leak and because the paint was coming off where a bird made a deposit. I was told the warranty did not cover the paint as it was a "foreign substance". They would have covered it had I purchased their after market paint sealer. I called Hyundai Customer Care and was told, "Paint is not covered under warranty if the car is exposed to outside elements". I asked how I was expected to drive the car without exposing it to outside elements? No answer just a "it's our policy sir".

Favorite Features

Fuel Economy.

Suggested Improvements

I like the car, but am very unhappy with the things listed.