2005 Hyundai Elantra Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Elantra model:
Decent little car
By decent car on 08/10/09 01:17 AM (PDT)

2005 Hyundai Elantra Sedan GLS 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I purchased my Elantra new in Nov of 05. I needed a new car after the electrical system in my 99 Jetta stopped working(very pricey repair) I have had absolutely 0 problems with this car. I have performed routine maintenance on the car, oil changes etc. New tires at 60,000 miles. I have been impressed with the peppy engine and love the gas mileage, I average 36 to 38mpg highway. I commute a lot to work and school. I do not like the fact the engine revs at higher rpms when shifting gears with the 5 speed manual transmission. Sheetmetal dents easily and paint has worn off the hubcaps. Interior has held up nicely, had to install new radio and upgraded the speakers. Wish I had the sunroof

NO PROBLEMS - LOVE IT
By ELANTRA on 07/31/09 19:07 PM (PDT)

2005 Hyundai Elantra Sedan GLS 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I bought this car as a new left over and paid 12 grand and that includes tax and all dealer fees. A few later Hyundai sent me a check for 400.13 dollars. I didnt ask why and only made my purchas sweeter. Im a strong at the table when dealing with salemaen and they hate me for it. 88000 AND NO PROBLEMS, NO RATTLES, 28 MPG, NOT GREAT BUT I DRIVE VERY HARD. My car is a 5 speed and I tow a jet ski and somtimes a trailor for yard work and still get 28 mpg every time out. The motor is a 130hp and beats most others in its class. The is of good quality and im an old motor head and know cars. Safety and performance and reliable as Honda. Hyundai I will be back after getting 200000. I have no doubt !

Maybe a Glitch?
By John H on 07/31/09 15:00 PM (PDT)

2005 Hyundai Elantra Sedan GLS 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

We bought the Elantra used with about 22,000 in the summer of 06 - it had previous been a rental car (Hertz?. The cars has performed flawlessly until it blew a head gasket at 68,340 miles. Since I was the second owner - the warranty expired at 60,000 miles. I asked Hyundai America to at least partially compensate me for the repair since I think it was a fluke and they just blew me off. Perhaps it was the last one off the assembly in on a Friday afternoon. The gas mileage has always been a bit lower than I expected - less than bothe the Corollas and Civics that I have owned. I am guardedly optimistic about the car since everyone else that has them say they are great.

clutch problem
By Steve on 07/09/09 12:29 PM (PDT)

2005 Hyundai Elantra Sedan GT 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I have owned my 2005 Hyundai Elantra for 3 and one half years. It will be paid off in 5 months. At the 36,000 mile mark 2 weeks ago, the clutch went. I have had 5 other standard transmission vehicles which have had between 70,000 - 140,000 miles without ever having to replace the clutch. This clutch cost me $1,000 to replace and will probably cause me to look elsewhere for my next vehicle. It makes me wonder whether Hyundai spent enough time and money on this aspect of the Elantra and whether other owners have had this problem as well.

A Pretty Good Experience
By grapemanca on 06/17/09 21:40 PM (PDT)

2005 Hyundai Elantra Sedan GT 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

We've had our '05 Elantra for 4 years, and we've been pretty pleased. After testing many other cars in its class, we were happy to purchase the Elantra. It has a quieter and smoother ride than the '05 Corolla, and more power than a '05 Civic. It's nice and wide inside, with good head room. After 4 years it's still solid and tight.

No complaints here
By Satisfied on 04/30/09 22:57 PM (PDT)

2005 Hyundai Elantra Sedan GLS 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I bought a brand new 2005 elantra in 2005 for 2 reasons: good price and good warranty. Since then i have put 123K miles on it, changed the oil every 10K or so, and bye and large have beat it up. It hasn't flinched. At about 120K the brake pads wore out so i replaced them and decided to change my belts at the same time. Other than that no other work has been needed. I have gotten more than i ever expected out of it. Throw in the fact the excellent gas mileage makes that IRS per mile deduction go real far, and I'm a satisfied customer.

Love it!
By HappyJackie on 04/05/09 21:01 PM (PDT)

2005 Hyundai Elantra Sedan GT 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

This was my first car, and I love it! It came with tinted windows, a sunroof, and leather seats. It is black, and very sleek looking. It looks like it costs way more than it actually is. Great gas mileage. My friends are jealous that I have such a great car. Very reliable. I also love the fact that if I leave my keys in the ignition, and I open the door and try to lock it, it automatically unlocks itself so that I never leave my keys in the car. Overall a very nice car for a very nice price.

Many problems
By Brian on 03/18/09 09:22 AM (PDT)

2005 Hyundai Elantra Sedan GLS SULEV 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 4A)

I've had this car for 3 years, bought it new. Have had many problems with seat back falling off, its been replaced five times and still not fixed (first happened three months after I got the car, on my second coolant leak, cylinder in clutch needed replaced, glove compartment handle fell off, cloth came off the center console, power mirror switch replaced twice, and seat frame has been replaced three times. I would not recommend buying any Hyundai. I have been going through trouble trying to get my whole seat replaced with someone from the Hyundai central office.

Better then expected
By mirecku on 03/09/09 11:34 AM (PDT)

2005 Hyundai Elantra Sedan GLS SULEV 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 4A)

Bought new in 2005 equipped with abs/tcs and 5m. 70,000 miles at this time with no Major problems. Been twice in small accidents, repaired fast and inexpensive. Stereo and speakers not good enough for me, but not really bad. We drive the car mostly in suburban areas in upstate NY averaging 26-29 mpg, 32-38 mpg highways, depending on a drivestyle. Traction control combined with winter tires makes car driveable even during big snowstorms, no problems with snow so far. Also very good for long trips, seats are comfortable, driver`s with lumbar support, armrest in good position, roomy in back seats. Almost no rattles, over 3000 rpm you can hear the engine more, aerodynamic noise is low, good for money

Elantra is Solid Car
By Daniel G on 02/17/09 07:59 AM (PST)

2005 Hyundai Elantra Sedan GLS 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Build quality is pretty good, some refinements missing. Example, light behind panel next to shift lever is BRIGHT at night and actually catches my eye and annoys. Won't dim with the dimmer knob like the rest of dash. Heater goes cold when idling at lights. Downshifts a little too easy, but overall good automatic. Good factory sound system. Seats okay, a little cardboardy. For price though can't really beat.