Used 2005 Hyundai Elantra Hatchback Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2005 Hyundai Elantra - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Elantra model:

Good Buy
By Lorenzo

2005 Hyundai Elantra Hatchback GLS 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Purchased Jan '05. One of the best experiences from dealership. Logged considerable miles on vehicle now. Few complaints. Like the hatchback design, can move alot of odds and ends with little trouble. Getting ready to purchase a '09 model. Solid value. Thank you Hyundai for building a car people can believe in!

Favorite Features

Hatchback design.

Suggested Improvements

Fuel economy. 4spd automatic seems should be more fuel efficient. Gearing possible culprit.

Excellent Buy
By P Brantley

2005 Hyundai Elantra Hatchback GT 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I purchased this car within an hour of my test drive and haven't had a single regret so far. I just returned from a weekend trip to another state and have already put over 12oo miles on the car. I would rather drive this than my wife's Camry XLE. I am 6 ft and weigh 280 but the comfort and driveability are exceptional. Very smooth, not rough, tight steering, no power surge acceleration with cruise control even up steep hills. I have averaged 31-32 MPG. I am very pleased with this car and the service I received from the dealer who went the extra step and got my 4 points off my initial interest rate. I will look to Hyundai first for my next car.

Favorite Features

Smooth ride with a sports car feel. Seats are roomy and very comfortable even on long trips.

Suggested Improvements

Excellent just the way it is.

Great car... with bad surprises
By Jeffbiss007

2005 Hyundai Elantra Hatchback GLS 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I bought my Hyundai Elantra in march 2005 and I was totally satisfied with it! This car has a great look, does not consume a lot of gas and has enough power to shift any slow vehicle on any road. Also, this car really has a lot of space (can make 5 persons very comfortable, including 4 men over 6'0). But... Bad surprises appeared during the winter 2008/2009: My clutch began to slip more and more. I drive a manual car since I am 16 (12 years from now) and I never had troubles with clutches. And have always been gentle with my Elantra. Now, after 80000 km (50000 miles), my clutch is done, and I have to prove my dealership I did not beat my car:

Favorite Features

Lots of space! Can take 4 persons and 4 golf bags! Nice look, low fuel consumption, enough power for a normal driver.

Suggested Improvements

I bought a new car to have a warranty. Hyundai sold me a "bumper to bumper" warranty for 100000 km (60000 miles). Hope this warranty was not only for the parts that doesn't break during the warranty time. I still have few years driving this car and I hope no more surprises will come!

Great car especially at the price
By James

2005 Hyundai Elantra Hatchback GLS 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

My Chevy s10 pickup died without warning and I needed a car in a hurry and for little money. I wanted a new car but had used car money. I found the Elantra, researched it and made the purchase. I never had any problems in 70K+ miles; the only things I did were brakes (one set of pads) and tires. For the price you get a good ride, some luxury and very cheap to drive (fuel and maintenance).

Favorite Features

Overall form and function. Great Synergy

Suggested Improvements

I would like to lock the car from outside with the engine running. Why? So I could leave the air going for the dog while I run into the store. The feature that keeps you from locking keys in a car that is running it a plus for some but not me.

GREAT LIL' CAR
By Sonny

2005 Hyundai Elantra Hatchback GLS 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

This was my first new car and before I bought it I felt I had done a good job researching and it paid off. This car gets better gas mileage the listed in the epa estimates. I get 34 miles per gallon hmy and about 29 in city. It is quiet, smooth, comfortable, and has the space I have needed for moving things around, shopping etc. (I was able to fit my dishwasher at one point as well as a full sized treadmill in box). Good car, good price, good service at the dealership.

Favorite Features

I love the Hatchback

Suggested Improvements

I wish it had nicer looking head lights.